Gabe Newell: It's Up to Valve to Bring EA Back to Steam

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gabe Newell: It's Up to Valve to Bring EA Back to Steam

Gabe Newell says it's up to Valve to bring EA back into the fold by convincing the company that it's smarter to be on Steam.

Everybody has an opinion about the spat [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112129-EA-Confirms-No-Battlefield-3-on-Steam] between Valve and Electronic Arts over the distribution of EA releases on Steam. Some people blame EA for hosing Steam users as it attempts to launch its competing Origin service, while others point the finger at Valve's inflexible DLC policies. But Valve boss Gabe Newell says it's actually "a whole complicated set of issues" that have come between the two gaming giants and, more to the point, it's up to Valve to bring EA back.

"I don't think Valve can pick just one thing and think the issue would go away if we fixed that," Newell told Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/38470/Newell-We-have-to-convince-EA-to-come-back]. "We have to show EA it's a smart decision to have EA games on Steam, and we're going to try to show them that."

"The same thing is true of Steam. We have to prove we are creating value on an ongoing basis, whether it's to EA or Ubisoft or whoever."

Game companies have to "earn the right" to install their content on their customer's PCs, Newell explained, and Valve has to do the essentially the same thing with game publishers by demonstrating the value of selling their games on Steam.

"We want EA's games on Steam and we have to show them that's a smart thing to do," he said. "I think at the end of the day we're going to prove to Electronic Arts they have happier customers, a higher quality service, and will make more money if they have their titles on Steam. It's our duty to demonstrate that to them. We don't have a natural right to publish their games."

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Attention all game company executives:

That. That right up there. That is how you do it.

Stay classy big guy.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Please do Valve... I don't want to start buying physical copies of EA games, or downright refuse to play Origin-exclusives.

I'll be very interested to see how this turns out.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
A customer will install steam because it is a stable program for game purchases and some free games.
A customer will only install Origin because it was on the battlefield 3 disk.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Worr Monger said:
Please do Valve... I don't want to start buying physical copies of EA games, or downright refuse to play Origin-exclusives.

Don't you have to use Origin even for physical discs?

I thought that was the news from around here just a week or so ago.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Worr Monger said:
I expect EA to take a Valve approach to Origin. Even if you have the physical disc, you'll need to sign in to their service to play it.

How else are they going to get people to use it?

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Hey, Gabe, instead of pissing around with EA, why don't you get to work on Episode Three? Or better yet, why don't you just admit that you aren't making it and stop dragging us along, you bastards! D-:<

Sorry, got a little worked up there ...

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I would totally be fine if they worked this out. I really like how Gabe is going about this.
Lacsapix said:
A customer will install steam because it is a stable program for game purchases and some free games.
Also this.

Feb 13, 2008
Gabe Newell. The ONE, seriously...track them down, CEO of a games company that doesn't just talk shit about the others.

Sure he eats the same as all.....CRAP....there goes Episode 3 again.

It does sound rather Dictatorial though, you can imagine Marlon Brando doing a very good Gabe Newell.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Worr Monger said:

Don't you have to use Origin even for physical discs?

I thought that was the news from around here just a week or so ago.
DeadlyYellow said:
Worr Monger said:
I expect EA to take a Valve approach to Origin. Even if you have the physical disc, you'll need to sign in to their service to play it.

How else are they going to get people to use it?
Did I miss when that was announced for every game? I know they said it for TOR. It wouldn't surprise me if it were true... in which case, I'm still on the fence as to how I'm going to deal with that.

All the more reason for Valve to get them back. Unless EA somehow requires you to have Origin if you get a game through Steam... don't know if that would be possible.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Is it just me or is Gabe just adorable. His face just makes you happy.

Also good on him being the bigger man and just trying to get things done, he sets a good example.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
im glad someone at least backed down a little bit and came to a compromise well attmepted to say that there should be a compromise. i like steam, i like some EA games i would like to see them come together. oh well

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Lacsapix said:
I've had Origin (and it's pre-cursor, the EA Download Manager) on my computer for nearly a year now, and have 12 games through the service. It isn't as bad as everyone makes it sound. I wouldn't say I prefer it over Steam, but I am quite happy to have it for games that Steam can't be bothered to carry, like FIFA 12 or Sims Medieval.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Worr Monger said:
All the more reason for Valve to get them back. Unless EA somehow requires you to have Origin if you get a game through Steam... don't know if that would be possible.
Doesn't GTAIV on Steam require logins for GFWL and RSC as well?

Apr 28, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
Worr Monger said:
Doesn't GTAIV on Steam require logins for GFWL and RSC as well?
Yep. And it's just as annoying as you'd think it would be. Unless you think it wouldn't be annoying, in which case you'd be wrong.