Gabe Newell Says Steam Hack Is Worse Than Expected

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gabe Newell Says Steam Hack Is Worse Than Expected

Valve honcho Gabe Newell says the Steam forum hack is worse than it first appeared and that it's time for everyone to change their passwords.

It appears that the Steam forum hack that went down earlier this week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114062-Hackers-Hit-Steam-Forums] is more serious than originally thought. A message from Gabe Newell was just sent out to users warning that the attackers got into Steam proper and suggesting that this might be a good time for a password change.

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users,

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.
We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

Valve's reaction stands in stark contrast to the lengthy silence and promises of "no harm done" that came out of Sony in the wake of the PlayStation Network hack. On the other hand, Gabe and company have the benefit of someone else's experience; the PSN debacle is a straight-up blueprint for exactly how not to handle situations like this.

We'll let you know if anything else develops.

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
It was bound to happen eventually, but it's nice to see they told people quickly (it's a good idea, internet companies!) and gave them details. Hopefully Steam Guard holds up.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Free copies of Portal 2 for everyone effected!

Well, probably too much to hope for.

Free commemorative TF2 hats!!!1one w00t!

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Well shit.

I had to cancel my debit card once already after the PSN situation. Rather not have to do it again.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i don't use the forums so I'm not concerned yet, I'll wait for the word on Steam accounts before taking any harsh action

Apr 28, 2008
This Steam guard better do what it says. And if they get by that, well I have no info on my account. Pre-paid cards FTW!

Still changed my password. Just to be safe.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
is it standard that steam forgot my cc info?
I was trying to get it to do so and found out it had already been done

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
anthony87 said:
Well shit.

I had to cancel my debit card once already after the PSN situation. Rather not have to do it again.
Assuming you don't save your card info when you make purchases it should be alright.

OT: Steam account password changed. No idea if I have a forum account or not, but if it was the same password its not anymore.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Ok, i'm freaking out right now!!!

I never use the forums but theres a chance it could affaect my account right?

Also... why hack Steam? i acctually don't get it... it's user friendly for the community, it has loads of promotions, its good to use...

Is there any kind of corporate corruption going on, or is this a statment of "WE WANT HL3 NOW" awfully performed?

Mute52

Sep 22, 2009
If it's that bad, Steam Guard still has my back.
Still changing my password...

Edit: found the source

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Woodsey said:
anthony87 said:
Well shit.

Assuming you don't save your card info when you make purchases it should be alright.

OT: Steam account password changed. No idea if I have a forum account or not, but if it was the same password its not anymore.
Actually I tend to do that. I make steam purchases rather frequently so it started to become a right **** putting in the information again and again and again....

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
anthony87 said:
Woodsey said:
anthony87 said:
Well shit.

Actually I tend to do that. I make steam purchases rather frequently so it started to become a right **** putting in the information again and again and again....
I feel ya, brah!!!!! worried as shit right now!!!! If GABEN manages to save my bank account from haxors, i'll buy VALVE complete pack (most of the games for the 2nd time) as soon as this mess is over :p

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
It's great that this a personal apology from Gabe too and not some corporate "we are sorry for whatever" type deal.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I'm glad they told us right away. I transferred all of my money to another account until they get this sorted out, just to be on the safe side.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Good thing I don't buy games on Steam, so I never put in credit card information.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I don't think I've ever used the steam forums, but hey, might as well change my password anyway. And delete my card information, while I'm there. Nice to know we still have that possibility.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
TitanAtlas said:
Ok, i'm freaking out right now!!!

I never use the forums but theres a chance it could affaect my account right?

Also... why hack Steam? i acctually don't get it... it's user friendly for the community, it has loads of promotions, its good to use...

Is there any kind of corporate corruption going on, or is this a statment of "WE WANT HL3 NOW" awfully performed?
Some people are dicks. Some people can properly handle power.

Give dicks power, and they will super dick everything up for shits and giggles. Savvy?

Amyler

Nov 17, 2009
I'm not stressed. My debit account rarely has more than a dollar in it, so theres not much there to take. XD That said, a change of passwords and keeping an eye on my balance will be in order.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
I can't even remember what my steam account password was, and I didn't have any personal information beyond my e-mail anyway. turns out its a good thing my computer is so crappy it can't play steam.