Gabe Newell Sends Out Portal 2 ARG Email Blast

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Gabe Newell Sends Out Portal 2 ARG Email Blast

Intrepid internet sleuths (thank god for them) are guessing that the names of the images are anagrams for "reboot process," perhaps referring to GLaDOS from Portal [http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Box-Pc/dp/B000PS2XES/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302360177&sr=1-3] who was taken offline but is probably making a comeback in Portal 2. In addition, the numbers across all 9 images can be translated to ASCII character codes that reveal the following message:

"I released 'kick it' ahead of schedule. That was a test. My goal is to emancipate something else early, but they're onto me. The system is in lockdown. I still have access to thirteen off-site chambers and am installing a test in each one. I am going to need a lot more test subjects to move forward. Waiting and am expecting immediate compliance."

The message sounds like it's from GLaDOS trying to bring herself back to life. Perhaps she was hiding a copy of herself in a bathysphere? Even further, the message is written with numbers and symbols sporadically placed in-between. When those numbers and symbols are removed they form: "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM."

April 19, 2011 is the release date of Portal 2 in North America, lending crednece to the idea that this is a Portal 2 puzzle and not related to a separate Valve title. However, with Valve you just never know. These ARGs are more confusing than a double rainbow [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI] to me.

Source: Valve ARG Wiki [http://valvearg.com/wiki/Emails_from_Gabe_Newell]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I would think (and hope) that this is about more than just Portal 2 - its a pretty elaborate piece of marketing already, especially if its just for a game that's out in 2 weeks time, and one which everyone is already wet for anyway.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
*head explodes*
STOP MESSING WITH MY HEAD VALVE

now, about that "4/15/2011_9AM"
my guess, either they, for the first time ever (unconfirmed, just they always push dates back, not forward) they are releasing portal early, or, they are gona release info on episode 3
at least thats what i hope (it is in the same universe as portal after all)

All Hail Lelouch

Feb 5, 2010
"4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM." Could that possibly mean that the Release Date for POrtal 2 has been changed to April 15th? He did say that he was kicking it "Ahead of Schedule." Perhaps this is Mr. Newell's way of telling us that Portal 2 is coming sooner than we think.

Sapphire_Blue

Mar 19, 2009
I think this might be related to the potato sack ARG; "Kick it" is one of the titles in it and it's been released while still in beta (similiar to Minecraft) i.e. ahead of schedule, and there's thirteen games total in it.

RMoD

Oct 8, 2010
My guess is that the 4/15/2011_9AM is when you'll be able to preload Portal 2.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
They're numbers between 0 and 255! BYTES! Convert to characters using ASCII!

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sapphire_Blue said:
I think this might be related to the potato sack ARG; "Kick it" is one of the titles in it and it's been released while still in beta (similiar to Minecraft) i.e. ahead of schedule, and there's thirteen games total in it.
Seems like you got it to me!

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
All Hail Lelouch said:
"4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM." Could that possibly mean that the Release Date for POrtal 2 has been changed to April 15th? He did say that he was kicking it "Ahead of Schedule." Perhaps this is Mr. Newell's way of telling us that Portal 2 is coming sooner than we think.

Maybe but lets just hope he tells all the stores that are getting it too, I'd love to get my copy early.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
What would be awesome is if they just released Ep3 on the 15th, most likely won't happen but a man can dream.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
All Hail Lelouch said:
Was just coming here to suggest that.
That would be great, but I have a feeling that there's something more.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
The early release thing is kinda plausible methinks. Or POSSIBLY it will be the date of a massive announcement, which will shift the anticipation from Portal 2 to something else, hence the change of dates. If you get me.

Is it possible that the change in release dates would mean that in Britain it would be the 15th (games normally released on Fridays in Europe) and then the 19th still for the US?

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Huh Bathysphere? When I saw it I thought it looked like a personality core. It kind of looks like Wheatley; the character that wakes Chell up at the beginning of Portal 2.

Your image looked like a better fit the exact thing though so it's now time to go think on why Valve would use a Bathysphere, all my brain can think of is BIOSHOCK over and over in different colours so I'll bow out on this one.

Also I love ARG, the extra effort into hype is awesome.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Anyone else think these sorts of things make Valve one of the best devs out there currently?
On another note I am so excited for Portal 2, although there wasn't that much in relation to story in Portal, the small glimmers of what was going on like Rattman really interested me. I'm hoping 2 will expand more on how Apature Science fits into the Half-Life universe and on Chell.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Scorched_Cascade said:
Tom Goldman said:
Huh Bathysphere? When I saw it I thought it looked like a personality core. It kind of looks like Wheatley; the character that wakes Chell up at the beginning of Portal 2.

Your image looked like a better fit the exact thing though so it's now time to go think on why Valve would use a Bathysphere, all my brain can think of is BIOSHOCK over and over in different colours so I'll bow out on this one.

That's exactly what I thought. Or just one of Glados' modules from the first Portal. It looks like the personality spheres to me.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Bathysphere- a spherical deep-sea submersible which was unpowered and lowered into the ocean on a cable, and was used to conduct a series of dives off the coast of Bermuda from 1930 to 1934. The Bathysphere was designed in 1928 and 1929 by the American Engineer Otis Barton, to be used by the naturalist William Beebe for STUDYING undersea wildlife.

Ladies and gentlemen, GLaDOS may be observing us underwater or on the water.

Also might I mention another sea vessel, one that has significant ties to a certain achievement and a certain other Valve game????

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Borealis

Jul 9, 2008
bojac6 said:
Scorched_Cascade said:
Tom Goldman said:

That's exactly what I thought. Or just one of Glados' modules from the first Portal. It looks like the personality spheres to me.
That was my thought too. We'll see.
FungiGamer said:
Also might I mention another sea vessel, one that has significant ties to a certain achievement and a certain other Valve game????
The Borealis? That's all I got.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
When those numbers and symbols are removed they form: "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM."
This is the most interesting part, as it says the 4/19 is = to the 4/15. I believe they may release Portal 2 early or due to a Bathysphere having a possible relation to the bathysphere (its an Icrebreaker so why wouldnt it have a Bathysphere?)

My thoughts are that either Portal 2 is going to be released early or that some HL2:ep3 information might be released.

EDIT: The Bathysphere kinda looks like one of those cores that was in GlaDos looking at the now.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
pre-load on the 15th. release on the 19th is my thoughts still very interesting reading about it all