Gaikai and LG Team Up to Bring Cloud Gaming TVs

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Gaikai and LG Team Up to Bring Cloud Gaming TVs

Step one: Buy an LG TV. Step two: Play games. Step three?

Cloud gaming took a big step today at the Consumer Electronics show by reducing the need for a dedicated set top box to play the most recent games. Korean TV manufacturer and cloud gaming service Gaikai announced they have worked out a deal to bring gaming to 3D TVs. All 2012 LG Cinema 3D TVs who happen to be "smart" or connected to the web, will be able to sign in to Gaikai - through an app, presumably. Customers can then play the latest games regardless of platform, and in stellar 3D if you have the glasses and an internet connection with a 10 meg pipe [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRhGPVYRsOY].

"We care passionately about delivering the best content and most premium experiences possible for our valued customers", said a representative from LG. "The ability to have award-winning games that run on much more powerful hardware in the cloud than today's PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, made this a must-have feature for our televisions and future devices".

Gaikai CEO David Perry said it was as big a deal as mp3 sharing and Netflic. "Thanks to the Internet, you can watch the latest movies and listen to the latest music practically anywhere, but until today, to play the biggest blockbuster video games, every household has had to buy and set up expensive video game console hardware. That's all about to change and pioneers in the space can build direct digital relationships with their end consumers."

Love it or hate it, we will soon be playing all games "in the cloud." When you think about the possibilities of future, the idea of individual computer processors on our desks or powering our TV seems pretty archaic, at least to me.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2012/01/10/gaikai-partners-with-lg-to-bring-cloud-gaming-smart-tvs/]

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Gaikai? Purveyors of the most obnoxious, horrid, annoying ads to ever despoil the Escapist? So badly, that the Escapist no longer carries sad ads? (Remember when browsing the forums often triggered Java to launch? Gaikai's fault.)

Wouldn't trust 'em to deliver a pizza let alone a game. >.>

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Fawxy said:
Cloud gaming... not sure how I feel about that. Though it's pretty cool to see a gaming service built-in to a television. That's like, stuff my dad read in Science Fiction when he was a kid.
Anybody remember the Sega channel?

Never got to try it but that tripped me the hell out when I saw that as a kid.