Gambling Laws Could Halt Diablo 3's South Korean Release

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
Baresark said:
I have to say, I'm not South Korean, but I wouldn't mind seeing this feature removed either. Stuff like this is annoying. I hate the game balance being ruined by being able to buy significantly better items with real money. This is going to ruin the competitive MP because no one is going to want to play against anyone else who may have just bought better items, making it that much easier for them to win.

On the other hand, I agree with Blizzard that there is no risk and therefore shouldn't be considered gambling. But, as a few people around here are familiar with, South Korea did open the first ever clinic to treat video game addiction. I'm not surprised they would take this stance at all.
That happens regardless of the ability to buy or sell items as a game feature because players do it in-game anyway.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
Better to lose the transaction cut than lose both the transaction cut AND the game sales...cant get a transaction fee if no transactions are taking place! I say remove the feature if they are not letting them implement it and classify the game. But blizzard will not, because they will see the game as not being 100% done, therefore they would rather not release it

Its a nice sentiment, but i would imagine 95% of korean gamers wouldnt give a monkeys if the AH was in or out, swallow your pride and release the game without it!

OT: All the people saying that people buying gear will imbalance the game need to see the bigger picture, most ppl who would use the money AH would probably use the 3rd parties anyway if there wasnt an AH, so in essence at least we are getting a properly moderated and safe one.

I realise there are better ways to overcome the 3rd party black market, but this system has the most benefit-ee's, and the only ones losing out are the shady item farmers

edit: benefit-ees terrible english...benefactors? winners! :D

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
TitsMcGee1804 said:
OT: All the people saying that people buying gear will imbalance the game need to see the bigger picture, most ppl who would use the money AH would probably use the 3rd parties anyway if there wasnt an AH, so in essence at least we are getting a properly moderated and safe one.

I realise there are better ways to overcome the 3rd party black market, but this system has the most benefit-ee's, and the only ones losing out are the shady item farmers
No no no! Before there were certain risks and stigmas associated with buying real money gear. It might have been duped or you could have actions taken against your account and so on. It was something that was frowned upon and bad for the game. Now it's an actual part of the game and now there is no stigma or risk involved and you can bet real money transactions will be king if you want to participate in the D3 economy. The end result is going to be gold being next to worthless and the real money economy will be the only viable choice

People can say they won't buy things for real money but when it's the only avenue available they will be left with little choice. Of course even if they aren't buying doesn't mean they will pass up the opportunity to make a quick 10 bucks or more if they find a high end item. This will lead to people being presented with two options if they want gear. Farm it or buy it with real money. High end gear will not be available for gold. You can count on that.

Having Blizzard pulling the strings all of a sudden doesn't magically make it stop being detrimental to the game. It just means Blizzard sold out to the gold farmers because they are either too lazy too greedy or too impotent (likely all three) to police their own game. It will now though be even more harmful to the games economy because now there is no risk or stigma involved and will be rampant.

Now as to the gold farmers, they won't be losing out on a damn thing. They will just move their businesses from their websites to inside the game. They will still have warehouses full of Chinese poor farming away day and night and now they will have better exposure than ever and are already set up to prosper the most of anyone but Blizzard. Where as before people had to go look for their sites now they will already be inside the game and you likely won't be able to tell if you are buying an item from a college student or gold farmer.

Bottom line is that real money transactions killed the economy in D2 and it will be just as harmful to D3. Just becaues Blizz is making their cut off of it doesn't change that at their core real money transactions are poison, and have no place, in video games.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
To be honest it sounds like gambling in the same way that investing in any market is gambling. If South Korea allows for private investment, then it should also allow for its cyber form.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Satsuki666 said:
Levethian said:
The Lunatic said:
I really would not mind seeing the removal of this feature.
Only for it to be added by dubious & numerous 3rd parties. Meh.
Some of us feel that joining the gold farmers and taking a cut of their profit is not the best way to beat them.
Agreed. Blizzard took the easy way out.

LJJ1991

May 6, 2011
I don't think I'm going to mind the feature. I'm going to love Diablo 3, but I'm not gonna spend any extra money on it. I can't really classify it as a traditional "microtransaction" system because the player can make money, too. Now, I'm concerned about how Blizzard is going to allow use of the money made from the auction house. If I'm not able to take it and bank it, I'm going to have a problem with it. If all I can use it on are other items and WoW subscriptions, it seems pretty pointless.

As for the "gambling" issue, I can't say I agree with South Korea. It isn't gambling because the player isn't putting any money down, on the table. They're just killing things.

Rack said:
Time is money, risking time to for a chance to get money absolutely is gambling.
As for this comment, if you're playing Diablo 3, you're playing a video game. A video game is there for enjoyment (unless you're a game reviewer). If you really believe what you say, then you would never waste your time playing a video game, you'd be doing something that makes you money. That doesn't mean some people won't play Diablo 3 for the sole reason of making money, but they're morons.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
OMGIllithan said:
The economy will be fine. Like Mr. Funk said, the real money market existed in D2 but people were still able to trade in game without touching the market if they didn't want (I know I did). The majority of people likely aren't going to use this feature and will be looking to trade the same way you want to.
Maybe it will, maybe it won't.
I don't care either way. I won't be playing Diablo 3.

Also, the more "farmers" there are then the better prices are for everyone. The only people who are losing in this transaction are the people who thought they could make a semblance of an income from farming virtual items from a video game.
Sigh. The "point" is always ignored or misplaced...
I'll just say this: It seems nonsensical to me to play a game whose primarily selling point is the grind. I cannot find any rational appeal in it beyond skinner and addiction models.
I say this, because the "market" wouldn't exist if there wasn't so much grind.

As another point unrelated to your post, who cares if people get a "competitive" advantage? Diablo is a cooperative game with a not serious and not balanced pvp component.
Then you've had the incredible luck to not have to deal with griefers and hackers in Diablo 2.
I always found it to be an incredible irony that I wanted to block or ban most of the players I encountered online because the vast majority of the ones I encountered were spambots, griefers, or assholes.
And I played Diablo 2 online for some unhealthy amount of time despite that...well, I don't have the patience for that bullshit anymore.

(Before someone says it: Yeah, you *could* password-protect your game, but now you're just playing Single Player online, which DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF PLAYING MULTIPLAYER IN THE FIRST PLACE.)

If you join a game with someone who bought their way to victory than great! They'll be helping make your group's adventure that much easier to manage.
I hate feeling useless when I play games. I hate being nothing but an exp leech.
I hate jogging uselessly behind the party doing nothing because my damage output is less than half of the guy with the duped broken-ass Runeword. And I especially hate it when they join my party, and then ***** at ME for "slowing them down".

And I've been in that position many times in Diablo 2 precisely because people DID buy power when I did not.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Semantics!!!!!!!!

There is money involved and there is random chance involved. It's gambling. Because the potential payout changes based on what random item is generated. Which means you can calculate the amount of money you stand to make on the auction for a certain item against the time it will take for that item to come up. That's gambling. Blizzard will adjust the chance for popular items dropping as to keep the auctions flowing. This all sounds like gambling to me.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Rack said:
John Funk said:
It happened all the time in Diablo 2, too. It just wasn't official.

Nothing has changed other than Blizzard actually making money off of it and it being less shady.
That's the same reasoning behind legalising Cannabis. And Ecstacy. And murder. Nothing's changed except rather than treading into murky waters it's accessible right from the game interface. Same thing happening only massively more prevalent.
Wait, wait murder? I can agree with the legalizing drugs comparison, but murder is a whole different thing. The argument behind legalizing drugs is that they are a victimless crime, and by legalization they could be better controlled and have safety guidelines put in place. So yes that is very similar to this. But murder, I don't even see where you draw the comparison. I've never heard of anyone arguing for the legalization of murder, and I don't even know what kind of argument there would be for it.
Yeah, Murder. The only point being made is that it happens so you may as well make money off it. That can apply to almost anything. That it's "victimless" is not even referenced, if it were then it would be a different point entirely. But if you want to bundle that in then counterfeiting money is a good comparison. It happens so why not allow it? If you want to lower the stakes then why not allow players to just take momey from the bank whenever they want in Monopoly?

However you slice it "It happens anyway" simply is not a reason because it applies to virtually anything you would want to restrict.

Rack said:
Time is money, risking time to for a chance to get money absolutely is gambling.
As for this comment, if you're playing Diablo 3, you're playing a video game. A video game is there for enjoyment (unless you're a game reviewer). If you really believe what you say, then you would never waste your time playing a video game, you'd be doing something that makes you money. That doesn't mean some people won't play Diablo 3 for the sole reason of making money, but they're morons.[/quote]

True but morons is the demographic gambling legislation is there to protect. In all seriousness though these virtual slot machines are already compelling enough even before you add in the potential to win real money, there are at least hundreds of thousands of people who play WoW long past the point it has any entertainment value, the same is sure to be true of Diablo 3.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Rack said:
Yeah, Murder. The only point being made is that it happens so you may as well make money off it. That can apply to almost anything. That it's "victimless" is not even referenced, if it were then it would be a different point entirely. But if you want to bundle that in then counterfeiting money is a good comparison. It happens so why not allow it? If you want to lower the stakes then why not allow players to just take momey from the bank whenever they want in Monopoly?

However you slice it "It happens anyway" simply is not a reason because it applies to virtually anything you would want to restrict.
I wouldn't really call counterfeiting "victimless". The two outcomes I see from that is either the fake money can't be used again, and thus it comes down to simply stealing (in which the victim is the seller). Or the counterfeits are so good they go unnoticed, which would cause inflation, which would lower the value of everyone money, and thus make them the victims.

I just don't see the inherent problem in selling virtual things for real world money. As long as both the buyer and seller are fully aware of what they are doing then what is the harm?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
By this definition, the very act of killing any mob in a variety of games is gambling, and we should ban all mmos.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
I just don't see the inherent problem in selling virtual things for real world money. As long as both the buyer and seller are fully aware of what they are doing then what is the harm?
Well maybe the Diablo 3 players can tell you when they try to buy items with gold and realize that even a mediocre item costs thousands upon thousands of gold because the real money transactions have devalued gold in the game to such an extent it may as well be useless because anything worth buying will be sold for real money and anything for sale with gold is a very small step above junk.

Introducing a free and clear real money means of buying items is going to shoe horn everyone into real money transactions whether they like it or not if they want to be part of the D3 economy. Despite Blizz's claims there will not be a viable gold economy. If one should happen to pop up the prices will be so inflated that you could never hope to use it without buying gold and then your back at using real money.

The only thing gold will be able to be used for is for buying from NPCs. The in game player driven economy will revolve, in one fashion or another, around real money transactions.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
LJJ1991 said:
As for the "gambling" issue, I can't say I agree with South Korea. It isn't gambling because the player isn't putting any money down, on the table. They're just killing things.

Rack said:
As for this comment, if you're playing Diablo 3, you're playing a video game. A video game is there for enjoyment (unless you're a game reviewer). If you really believe what you say, then you would never waste your time playing a video game, you'd be doing something that makes you money. That doesn't mean some people won't play Diablo 3 for the sole reason of making money, but they're morons.
His comment is more true than you think: every item that gets sold on the Auction House?
They wouldn't have value if not for the average time commitment required to get them; so from this, we establish that TIME is the primary metric of value; and the payout of that value, can be in in-game gold, or real world currency (and for the sake of the argument, we'll just focus on the latter).

We also know that the item drops are:
1) Random
2) Very rare (factor for the time metric)
3) NOT GUARANTEED

And it very much becomes comparable to gambling, which might I remind you, is considered first and foremost a form of ENTERTAINMENT; a "game of chance". Therefore, the point about the player doing something else "because it's a game, not gambling" is nonsensical.

So instead of directly betting money, player bets time to potentially WIN MONEY.
However, because the payoff's value is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL TO TIME AND CARRIES REAL-CURRENCY VALUE, then in this instance, we can equate time to money. If this were not true, then rarer items wouldn't carry a higher price coefficient (because there would be a more common/economical substitute good).

If Diablo 3 isn't an overt form of gambling, then it certainly pushes the boundaries for the classification.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
I wouldn't really call counterfeiting "victimless". The two outcomes I see from that is either the fake money can't be used again, and thus it comes down to simply stealing (in which the victim is the seller). Or the counterfeits are so good they go unnoticed, which would cause inflation, which would lower the value of everyone money, and thus make them the victims.

Inflation. Hmm, that rings a bell somehow...

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Xanthious said:
I think you mean Diablo 2, but that's besides the point.

True enough I can see that happening if the real money AH is widely embraced. Most people would rather get real money than in game money probably. I personally have no plan on using either AH so I guess my opinion does not count for much. But I still don't see the harm. Worst case scenario everyone uses the real money AH, and then uses the money from it to buy other things on it. So it's like a taxed virtual item trading system. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the backlash over the real money AH makes it used less and thus the normal AH more viable. I guess I can see a victim in the person who does not want to participate in the real money AH, but still want's the virtual items, but does not want to spend the time to farm them.

metal mustache

Oct 29, 2009
what do you mean it will hurt blizzard? Aren't they going to make enough bloody money already? Its like saying that only getting $60 for my used legos would hurt me.