Gambling Laws Could Halt Diablo 3's South Korean Release

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Hope it gets trashed.

Seriously, they're charging a sub and used common f2p mechanics? Blizzard surely hates its consumers. I might as well go play World of Tanks where I can pay to win.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rack said:
John Funk said:
It happened all the time in Diablo 2, too. It just wasn't official.

Nothing has changed other than Blizzard actually making money off of it and it being less shady.
That's the same reasoning behind legalising Cannabis. And Ecstacy. And murder. Nothing's changed except rather than treading into murky waters it's accessible right from the game interface. Same thing happening only massively more prevalent.
And I think two of those three should be legalized as they don't hurt anyone but the person using them. The third is actively infringing on the rights of others.

Prohibition does not work in a game or in real life.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
rapidoud said:
Hope it gets trashed.

Seriously, they're charging a sub and used common f2p mechanics? Blizzard surely hates its consumers. I might as well go play World of Tanks where I can pay to win.
Where did you read that they're charging a sub? Because you're wrong.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
People have worried way too many times about what I said at the beginning of this story. I don't like games where you can buy power. Has it existed in previous Diablo games? Yes. Does that make it ok? No.

John Funk pointed out in a few posts up that prohibition doesn't work. That is true. I agree with what he said in his statement as well. People have pointed out that it's only PvE. Which is not true. There is a strong PvP element to the game and this will break the balance of that portion. So now you're saying, "WEll Baresark, you should probably not worry about that part of the game". Which is true, I would never bother with PvP on a Blizzard game. It's all equipment based, and since there isn't going to be different ways to build or play your character really (just like in WoW), it is all quite pointless.

Also, the auction house is just money grubbing on Blizzards part. You pay 3 fees to sell an item. One is a fee just to list the item that you do not get back if you do not sell it. It would be fine if that one cost in game currency, but to have it cost real money is ridiculous. Also, you can buy gold on the auction. It's funny, how many accounts go banned over this in WoW. It ruins the in game economy because it's based off of fiat money (gold that anyone can just sell more stuff or kill things to get, in endless supply) that cannot be stable.

A friend of mine debated with me on the merits of the auction. It was interesting. He ended up having to lie to me about what would and would not be available on the auction house as a way to win. He used tactics like, "if a rare item is appearing for too large an amount of money, they'll just change the drop frequency or sell some on their own on the auction house to bring the price down", both of which are completely untrue. The first would change the status of an item as a certain level of rarity and ruin the game balance even more if everyone could get it, and the second is something they outright stated they would not be doing.

There, that is my argument. I may still play the game, but you would never see me on PvP, maybe not even cooperative. And you better believe that I would play with a crack that allows me to play offline if I can find one.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
John Funk said:
Rack said:
John Funk said:
It happened all the time in Diablo 2, too. It just wasn't official.

Nothing has changed other than Blizzard actually making money off of it and it being less shady.
That's the same reasoning behind legalising Cannabis. And Ecstacy. And murder. Nothing's changed except rather than treading into murky waters it's accessible right from the game interface. Same thing happening only massively more prevalent.
And I think two of those three should be legalized as they don't hurt anyone but the person using them. The third is actively infringing on the rights of others.

Prohibition does not work in a game or in real life.
That?s a separate argument and one I touched on before. The issue is one of inflation with massively more high powered items and gold to go around and concentrating them on a certain group you create a two-tier system. Those who buy items will be significantly more powerful than those who don?t. This is what happens already to some degree but by making it legal and convenient you exacerbate the problem tremendously. The victims in this case are those who don?t enjoy having their effect on the game wholly marginalised.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Money, dear boy.

This trope is being played so straight that it shames even the most masculine heterosexuals of the world.

OMGIllithan

Mar 28, 2009
L10nH3ArT said:
Well I only read page one and think most people posting on here don't really understand the AH to begin with.

I may be wrong but, I doubt the AH will be cash money only. I would assume YOU (Being the one wanting to sell the item) would decide whether to try to post the item for either In-Game Money, or for cold hard electronic cash. Obviously something set in the AH at a stupid price wouldn't sell, so basically it will be run off of rarity rather than it being everything in the game sold on a platter for the masses who can pay.

So that just means that insanely cool drop that you ninja'd would be worth maybe $5 bucks on the market since maybe you cannot use it for your class. Which in turn would bump off 5 bucks from what you payed for the game, AND some desperate player got something they really wanted at the same time. Blizzard makes a little cut to keep paying for the servers, and everyone is happy.

When I read about so may people just flipping out about something that I honestly doubt will even come into play for anyone that isn't end game/ just plain crazy about D3, my brain starts to throb from the insane misunderstanding of what the true intentions are. Businesses need to keep doing business, and this one actually wants you to turn your enjoyment into a little pocket cash for you and them... Capitalism people.

Yet look, if you want to keep wasting away hours being ignorant to how much money it costs to create and run something of this scale (Aside from the understanding of how much money has been made in the past or future, look at Nintendo now. When it's good it is good, and likewise with the bad.) in order to keep a company (and its employees jobs) secure, safe and growing, I have nothing to say that will change your mind. And that is that.

I don't believe preconceived notions of something that primarily seems to only threaten those scared of Buy-to-Win content hold any water. Remember this is Diablo... Most gear has level limits to begin with. And I think Blizzard has enough understanding on how to satisfy its many many players. It's not like this was a title mocked up within a year by people with no experience with online offerings. Chances being, if there is a in game store, it will only offer nominal non gameplay areas (skins and the like). And that is just a part of PC gaming these days. Deal with it

I for one, AM in favor of the AH as I described it above. This is the understanding I have after reading the info I have been given. Also I believe possibly receiving something of monetary value from the hard work I put into a title, is an added bonus to my enjoyment of a title, not a burden.

You could always (Would you) kindly(?) choose not to play if such a system triggers the Ayn Rand in your psyche. Well unless Blizzard turns the world into.... ITEM FARMERS! (Bum bum BUUUUUUMMMMM)

I just feel at the end of the day, this is just a game. Something to enjoy, not build a life from playing. If you spend a fair amount of time on any title, or say watch a movie, chances are you will never see a return. So to bring up the point of time being the risk, you must have a time machine to give back all the hours you wasted doing anything you enjoy. Under that understanding, life itself is a gamble. And life is unfair for not paying us money for each minute we spend gambling each breathe. Some of you act as if businesses pay you to use them each time. Or that maybe my cable box prints money for each minute it wastes trying to entertain me, I guess maybe I just haven't found the we-pay-for-your-time compartment that you all have found. I must be senile...

Surely this system won't work like a charm off the bat, kind of like anything in the world. Yet without anyone attempting to change the perspective, things would never change to begin with.
Finally, someone else with a sensible view of things! It drives me crazy how it is such a common opinion that Blizzard is "money grubbing" and "greedy" simply because they made a decision that will net them more profit. Not to mention the lack of trust even though everything that has come out since Starcraft 1 has been stellar and has support better than arguably any other company on the planet. And FUN! Everyone always forgets about the FUN aspect of things because they're too busy rambling about the logistics of things.

This should be stickied in the front page of any forum thread dedicated to whining about the RMAH IMO.

OMGIllithan

Mar 28, 2009
Haakong said:
It also brings a new oppurtunity for players like me: Bosses can drop pizzas. They drop a bow my barbarian dont need, I put it on the real money AH for 5$, BAM! Frozen pizza for me. Best game idea ever.
This is the most hilarious view of the RMAH I have read so far. Hats off to you sir!

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Can someone please explain how it's gambling, the only time chance even comes into the picture is the original act of any piece of loot dropping, once that occurs it's a concrete object incapable of change! I mean really Korea, that just seems to be a stupid thing to get hung up on.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
Necromancer1991 said:
Can someone please explain how it's gambling, the only time chance even comes into the picture is the original act of any piece of loot dropping, once that occurs it's a concrete object incapable of change! I mean really Korea, that just seems to be a stupid thing to get hung up on.
It involves the risk, because of Blizzard taking out the fees for using the auction house, the main fee in question is the real money listing price, which is non-refundable if you happen to lose to someone else in the auction house, then if you win Blizzard takes out another fee to get them more money, and if you want to cash out they take a third fee.

If people can be undercut for a single copper or bronze coin in other MMO's you can bet they will be very very stingy with REAL money, so the gamble comes in from the fees Blizzard takes out regardless. And since the drops are random and luck based it can fall under the jurisdiction of gambling.

If the listing fee wasn't there I can't see of any way it would involve risk. But with it there you risk losing your initial investment.

OMGIllithan

Mar 28, 2009
Necromancer1991 said:
It isn't. If anyone tells you it is they're playing off of their own biases and fears without actually understanding the definition of the word.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Wow, I didn't even hear about that real money auction house. Boo, Blizzard, boo!

Eduard Blackbeard

Nov 21, 2010
I guess we should all be used to ignorant @$^@#'s posting their opinions by now. But we are not.

1) First of all the balance issue. If you have ever played any MMO and enjoyed it shut it about balance.
The auction house model is the same in any of the hundreds of MMO's to come out. Using real cash
won't change that. Not all gear will be BOE. If you choose to buy it with gold or cash doesn't matter.

2) Second the Gambling issue. If you do indeed pay real money to set up your auction then there is a risk involved and I can see it being classified as gambling. If you don't risk your real world money it is not gambling.

3) Third yes this is the best way to cut out third party gold spammers and the likes. There's no other way without the classic methods that simply aren't that effective.

4) Yes Blizzard is making a cut. They are a business and their goal is to make more money. It's a tiny cut but a cut non-the-less. And of course the third party gets a cut for their services. If you don't like Blizzard making 0.05cents off of whatever money you do make, DONT FREAKING USE THE AUCTION HOUSE.
If someone else decides they are okay with making $5.00 off an item and letting Blizzard take a small fee how is that your business?

I hope it doesn't get banned in South Korea. I'm sure a huge percent of the population of South Korea are also opposed to this. South Korean's are the hardest core gamers on the globe. They want this game just as much as anyone else.

pillinjer

Feb 12, 2010
According to the OED gambling is either:

play games of chance for money;
take risky action in the hope of a desired result

Which is an auction house whatever game you play.The difference is that usually you play with fake money (like on a free-to-play poker table). Yes its gambling but no there is not any real cost. (Yes ok Gold farmers subvert this but they are not part of the offical game).

Now Blizzard are releasing a game that costs real money to "play" the Auction House, and South Korea have said this breaks the gambling rules. So to all those who argue this isnt gambling...well yes it is, but such a mild form that I would have understood if South Korea had said it isnt gambling. And like Gambling, the House always wins.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
can't wait to read all the stories about 10 year old kids charging up $5000 on a single wargear item on mommy's/daddy's credit card. because this is what the auction house is gonna do.