Game Based on Snowden Leaks Seeking Kickstarter Funding

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Game Based on Snowden Leaks Seeking Kickstarter Funding

[kickstarter=1928653683/top-secret-a-game-about-the-snowden-leaks]Inspired by the largest intelligence leak in US history.

Top Secret is a curious game currently in development by UK designer James Long. An email based work of interactive fiction, the player is employed by the NSA to investigate a mystery connected to the real world leak of confidential documents by Edward Snowden. The game will include actual messages sent by Snowden to journalists and an investigation of the methods used to cover their tracks.

Played out in real-time over a period of many days using an email client, players will target characters for surveillance, follow leads, and decipher messages in a non-linear, branching narrative. The game proceeds based on the player's replies to message, with choices said to have significant consequences and the developer claiming that a single playthrough will only expose a fraction of the total content. As an option, Top Secret will even support PGP encryption for an added level of realism.

A playable demo [https://playtopsecret.com/demo.html] has been made available through the developer's website.

A Kickstarter campaign to finish development is well underway, and currently has a bit more than half of its $12,421 goal collected with 24 days remaining. Access to the completed game (and a digital DRM-free copy for offline, local play on PCs and Mac) is offered with a pledge of $8, while higher pledge amounts will be rewarded with early version access and opportunities to contribute content to the game.

If funded, Top Secret is planned to release in May 2016.

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1928653683/top-secret-a-game-about-the-snowden-leaks]

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
So...we're playing as the bad guys?[footnote]To the NSA agent undoubtedly reading this: don't take it personally, pal.[/footnote]

An interesting premise, to be sure. Maybe it will raise awareness about the whole incident. One can only hope; many people I've talked to have never even heard of Snowden, much less know what he did. Frankly, it's downright depressing knowing he put himself through hell, only to have his warnings fall on deaf ears.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
I wonder when the USGOV is going to hit up Kickstarter (they're US based, right?) and try to shut this down for supporting an American "traitor".

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Shadefyre said:
I wonder when the USGOV is going to hit up Kickstarter (they're US based, right?) and try to shut this down for supporting an American "traitor".
About the same time that they shut down the escapist for mentioning it? XD
I mean, this is also a US based site, isn't it?