Game Box Design Feedback

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Going off of the name of the game I'm assuming that the person in the middle of the box is supposed to be screaming out in anger?

If that's the case, I'd personally have added some clenched fists to the bottom of the picture, or change the pose around a bit more so that the "anger" part comes out more.

Without the name of the game next to it, this particular pose wouldn't convey "anger" to me.

But that nitpick aside, I'd say it looks good enough. Good luck with your game.

Reactions: OblongYellow

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I agree with Bluegate, without looking at the name I'm getting more of a screaming out in pain vibe than one of anger.

OblongYellow

Alien ID: Oblong Yellow 47
Jun 23, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Going off of the name of the game I'm assuming that the person in the middle of the box is supposed to be screaming out in anger?

If that's the case, I'd personally have added some clenched fists to the bottom of the picture, or change the pose around a bit more so that the "anger" part comes out more.

Without the name of the game next to it, this particular pose wouldn't convey "anger" to me.

But that nitpick aside, I'd say it looks good enough. Good luck with your game.
Awesome! A few of our team members did some changes to the box to highlight the anger part (see photo below), although we haven't added the fists (graphics team is trying to work on it), we wanted to see if this more or less is the direction to go for and then just add the fist as the finishing touch:

Attachments

OblongYellow

Jun 23, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Bluegate, without looking at the name I'm getting more of a screaming out in pain vibe than one of anger.

Can totally see it now, how it does looks like someone screaming out in pain :) Do you think this new design (see photo below) might be better?

Attachments

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, its eye popping and noticeable. I think an image of someone 'blowing their top'

Works much better to show anger then an open mouth. The current open mouth image kind of reminds me of those dentist phone games.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Oh hey, I meant to comment on this when I originally saw this thread. Since then you've posted the new design that addressed my main concern:
When I saw that box at a distance(which is what happens when you watch these images while not logged in; the images get much more small, akin to if you had seen it at a distance) it looked like a space themed game, with the darkness of space having stars emitted from a central circle, as if it were the Millenium Falcon entering hyperspeed or a black hole swallowing the galaxy. Since it is not a space-themed game that sounds like it could be something to address.

Which you did with the second design. That design however looks like it's someone visiting the dentist's office. I tried to search for various images on "anger" and "anger scream" to see if there was any expression of a wide agape mouth that could only express anger. My verdict is that no, that alone won't be enough to not potentially lead the mind to other associations. Even though I found several indicators of anger that might be of use in combination with the agape mouth (tearing one's hair, shaking one's fists, having the skin turn red, steam clouds coming out of the ears or the forehead, showing angry eyebrows) the easiest to try would be to have the game title be in a yelling speech bubble emitting from the mouth.

OblongYellow

Jun 23, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Well, its eye popping and noticeable. I think an image of someone 'blowing their top'

Works much better to show anger then an open mouth. The current open mouth image kind of reminds me of those dentist phone games.
Oh yeah! Good point on the dentist game :) Gonna check with the graphics team if we could get one box design sample with someone 'blowing their top'. Thank you for the feedback!

OblongYellow

Jun 23, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Oh hey, I meant to comment on this when I originally saw this thread. Since then you've posted the new design that addressed my main concern:
When I saw that box at a distance(which is what happens when you watch these images while not logged in; the images get much more small, akin to if you had seen it at a distance) it looked like a space themed game, with the darkness of space having stars emitted from a central circle, as if it were the Millenium Falcon entering hyperspeed or a black hole swallowing the galaxy. Since it is not a space-themed game that sounds like it could be something to address.

Which you did with the second design. That design however looks like it's someone visiting the dentist's office. I tried to search for various images on "anger" and "anger scream" to see if there was any expression of a wide agape mouth that could only express anger. My verdict is that no, that alone won't be enough to not potentially lead the mind to other associations. Even though I found several indicators of anger that might be of use in combination with the agape mouth (tearing one's hair, shaking one's fists, having the skin turn red, steam clouds coming out of the ears or the forehead, showing angry eyebrows) the easiest to try would be to have the game title be in a yelling speech bubble emitting from the mouth.
These are really great points that you've mentioned, never thought of seeing the box in a space themed perspective but now that you mentioned it, I do see it now :) For the second design, another also pointed out how it's similar to those dentist phone games. Can totally see that now as well, looks like we need to do some fixing on the design in terms of showcasing the "anger" and I really do want to try adding the yelling speech bubble that you mentioned, it sounds awesome! :D Thanks so much for the feedback! It's so refreshing to hear from others' perspectives :)

OblongYellow

Jun 23, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
I actually liked the first one better; what you should do is put a couple of floating eyebrows above the head to express anger. The image is cartoonish enough to work with it.
Definitely need to try that! Never thought of adding eyebrows to be honest but now it looks like we will :) Thank you for the suggestion and feedback!

OblongYellow

Jun 23, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
So we've finally crafted a few designs of the cards for the game :) Hope you can take a look and let us know what you think!

We've also included a card that has a man with steaming ears and wondered if this could be the main image in the box since most of you guys agree that the original guy gives a dentist vibe :p

print_anger_steamingears.png print_bb_1000meetings.png print_zen_beerbath.png