Game Boy Cosplay is Functional, Gamer is Not

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Game Boy Cosplay is Functional, Gamer is Not

There can not be great win without great fail.

One only has to visit their local anime convention to see the unbelievable amount of cross appeal that exists between fans of Japanese animation and video games. Regardless of the focus, one can always expect to find a slew of gaming-based panels, tournaments and of course, cosplay. There's been the past [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris], but could any of them legitimately play Alexey Pajitnov's magnum opus?

Ohayocon [http://technabob.com/blog/2009/02/07/game-boy-costume-plays-tetris-cosplay/], held last week in Columbus, has done just that, whipping up not only a giant-sized Game Boy outfit, but a fully-functional one as well. For as much effort as the cosplayer put into his outfit, however, one player most certainly did not. The above video was embedded to show that yes, there are people out there who have no worldly idea how to play a game of Tetris. How shameful.

Has anyone else out there been inspired? I'm thinking Keane and I should hook up for Fanime [http://fanime.com] and go as Konami's six-player X-Men cabinet.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
EGAD.
(A very interesting sort of cosplay, eh, what)

I'm going to have to go with the Penn &Teller/Gilbert Gottfried thing on the player of Tetris"
"YOU FOOL!"

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Wow. Cosplay that's functional. Wish I actually went to conventions.

KhakiHat

Dec 28, 2008
This is why gamers should start with the clasics, not this inflated Halo-MLG-assperations junk.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
The costume is incredible, but the video makes my head ache.

How can anyone fail THAT HARD at Tetris?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
ppl who cant figure out tetris cant have the iq to get to a convention on their own...im guessing he's with his parents

Jul 9, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
The costume is incredible, but the video makes my head ache.

I'm thinking his IQ's in the single digits.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
To the guy in the costume: Great Job!

To the guy who couldn't play tetris to save his life: You have failed as a human being.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Jeez, you guys are really elitist when it comes to Tetris, huh?

Awesome costume though, makes me wish I had it for Halloween.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Come on guys, be fair. The strategy guide for GB Tetris has been out of print for like, ever.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
BobisOnlyBob said:
Watching him stack those blocks up and make no attempt to fill up a line was physically painful for me.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Nice, good effort by that guy, looks like a pretty complicated setup and a lot of effort for something he can play on any mobile, but still good on him. And the guy who sucks at tetris is an idiot.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Copter400 said:
BobisOnlyBob said:
Watching him stack those blocks up and make no attempt to fill up a line was physically painful for me.
This was the reason for my dramatic response - I had no idea simple game mechanics could make me feel so downright uncomfortable inside.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Well now, that's some crazy stuff... Thumbs up to the dude who made the costume, though the player should get more into Tetris.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Jumplion said:

I don't think this is elitism more than the fact that the kid didn't clear a single line on the slowest speed. That is just the saddest display known to man.

Edit: Whoops at the date. Saw "February" and not the 2009 bit.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
xyrafhoan said:
Jumplion said:

I don't think this is elitism more than the fact that the kid didn't clear a single line on the slowest speed. That is just the saddest display known to man.
Huge necro, dude. I posted that a year ago, please look at the time a topic is posted next time.