Game choices/decisions that led to consequences that made you feel negative/horrible.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
So.. I currently feel like shit. Complete and utter shit, for a choice I just made in a video game. So shit that I had to save and leave, I can't continue for awhile. I will tell you in detail here. There will be minor Fallout 2 spoilers, though I am unsure how many people will be bothered by that.

So, I've been playing Fallout 2. I finished up the first game, loved it, and started the second a little while ago. I'm a ways in, currently on my way to Vault City when I came across the small town of Madoc. They had a quest for me, to check out a nearby farm that was desecrated with corpses, and where disappearances had been occurring. I found my way beneath the farm, and was held at gun point by two guards. They told me to follow them to their leader, but, being in such a hellish hostile world, I trusted no one but Sulik (my dear companion). I wanted to ask questions first, but they told me in no uncertain terms that there would be violence if I did not follow them. I resisted, fearing treachery.

Long story short, there was a massacre. After some initial firefights, I started noticing non-combatants attacking me. Weak ghouls and defenseless women, though I thought nothing of it at the time. Sulik and I finally fought our way through to their leader, and my machine gun tore him to pieces. After his death, the remainder tried to flee, but I shot them in the back with my rifle. This is when I started feeling off. I was killing helpless people as they tried to run.

I explored the underground caves a little more and came across a group of children that were hiding. This is when I started freaking a little, and Sulik and I found a ladder that led upwards and fled. We returned to Madoc and informed their leader of the event. He scolded us for it, we had massacred a village of innocents. When we checked the corpses that littered the farm, we learned they were in fact dummies splattered with Brahmin blood, not actual human corpses.

Sulik and I (and myself as player) sat down and shared a beer, contemplating what just happened. We committed a genocide. A genocide of innocents. Sure, we thought we were fighting for our very survival but still, the ends did not justify the means. We just butchered an entire town of innocent people who, like me, were just trying to survive and who, also like me, were wary of other people.

And that has made me feel like complete shit. It's almost laughable, the Fallout world is so hostile and bleak, so hopeless. You learn not to trust anyone, especially others who are well-armed. When I finally put that distrust and caution into practice, it was tragedy. My character, who I was trying to roleplay as a generally nice guy, will forever carry the burden of that genocide. And myself as a player, feel like I have utterly failed at the game.

I did reload just to see what happens when you in fact go to the leader peacefully, sure enough, they were a friendly people who just wanted help, and were rightfully cautious of outsiders. Of course I'll keep my original choice, and face the consequences, since I'd be dishonest otherwise.

But yeah, probably the most negatively emotional experience for me in a video game, and it is increased when you realise the fault lies not on the game, but solely on the player.

So, does anyone else have any similar stories to tell? Has anyone else made choices that later made them feel horrible, or that brought terrible consequence? I'm not talking about a scene that you'd see in Spec Ops, but one that is entirely of your own doing, as a player.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
In Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, to get the full demon ending (the "good" ending), you need to progress through this labyrinth, and pretty much at every turn you encounter an NPC or someone asking you something along the lines of "Are you sure you want to proceed? If you do, babies will die, you'll lose yourself in the process, the world as we know it will end, ext ext."

After reading these warnings enough times I started questioning myself if I really wanted the best ending.

Sep 9, 2007
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters. After completing the game, you can start the game again as a new game +. There are a couple new things that are added, including a new response to a question early in the game. That one question unlocks an alternate story, called the demon path. Its... uncomfortable to play, at best. The demon path starts out with the player character slaughtering their home town and it only goes downhill from there on. I've completed the normal path many times, but I've only played the demon path once and that was enough.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
BathorysGraveland2 said:
I'm not talking about a scene that you'd see in Spec Ops, but one that is entirely of your own doing, as a player.
All right - if you didn't, I would have pre-empted the "No Spec Ops, please". I mean, we are going to get lots of replies about it but it's better to diversify.

Anyway Bloodlines

Oh Heather...

Let's explain if you opened the spoiler tag but don't know of the game: early on in the game, you find a girl in the hospital. She is dying and nobody is actually attending to her. In all fairness, the only doctor on duty is attending to a person with a bullet in his head. At any rate, she's badly wounded, bleeding and in pain - you, as a vampire, could feed her some of your blood. To keep it short, humans who drink vampiric blood are referred to as "ghouls" and they heal faster, become a bit stronger and are immortal (as long as they keep getting more vampiric blood). They are also almost universally addicted to the stuff - to make matter worse, vampiric blood while very addicting by itself itself, also tends to enslave the will of the drinker - the drinker becomes more and more captivated with the donor. And it takes drinking the blood three times to completely enslave somebody.

At any rate, the player character, at that point, doesn't know that - they barely know what a ghoul is. The only option to save Heather is to feed her blood. She eventually vanishes from the hospital but later on, she meets up with you saying she wants to thank you for saving her (she still doesn't know what happened but knows you had a role in it). At this point, it's very clear she has a fascination with the player beyond what is normal - you could tell her to just go and forget about you, but watching her is just heartbreaking. Alternatively, you could ask her to live with you. And if you do so she gladly does. During the game you can talk to her and even reveal to her your true nature but she really seems to love you so she accepts. Also, you always have the opportunity to tell her to go but she get even more miserable than ever. Also, you have two opportunities to feed her more blood (and thus completely make her your slave). The thing is, you, as a player, are never actually told you're slowly taking over her will. From your point of view, she's nothing but love an sweetness, willing to go through whatever it takes, just to be with you - she gladly gives you her allowance, if you ask for it, and she's ready to quit her studies (for her dream job, nonetheless) if you so wish it.

The final shot at releasing her comes towards the end of the game - when she is about to take the third sip of blood. After that, you have no more chance to release her. Also, if you do let her stay, she gives you the best armour in the game - unobtainable otherwise. And just a little while later, she is murdered. In front of your eyes, nonetheless. You're given the task to clear a building of baddies and along the way you see she has apparently been kidnapped and they kill her just like that. The only chance to save Heather is to actually shoo her out of your life.

So, yeah, quite gut punching there.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Mass Effect 2. I usually check the wiki when I think an event will have an effect on my squad, but I thought 'Hell, interactive gaming, make choices and live with them' so in the
SUICIDE MISSION
most of my squad got annihilated, including Mordin, Legion, Garrus and Jack. Oops.
Fallout 3. I was doing a bad-karma run, so I decided to
Blow up Megaton
just to get them bad karma points. Upon visiting ground zero of this event, I found Moira. She had felt the effects of this badly in a visible way. Since she is my favourite character this nearly broke my heart, especially due to her endless optimism despite it all.

Jachwe

Jul 29, 2010
BathorysGraveland2 said:
was held at gun point by two guards. They told me to follow them to their leader, but, being in such a hellish hostile world, I trusted no one but Sulik [..]. I wanted to ask questions first, but they told me in no uncertain terms that there would be violence if I did not follow them. I resisted, fearing treachery.

[...]
It's almost laughable, the Fallout world is so hostile and bleak, so hopeless. You learn not to trust anyone, especially others who are well-armed. When I finally put that distrust and caution into practice, it was tragedy. My character, who I was trying to roleplay as a generally nice guy, will forever carry the burden of that genocide. And myself as a player, feel like I have utterly failed at the game.

I dont get you. You are telling me an awsome story and you feel shit about it? It is just a game and what are you to feel shit about? Not having done good role playing as far as it is possible with computer games? Having failed at the game? Are you kidding? Where did you fail at the game? You didnt get a "game over, you fail" screen so it is no failure at the game. You tell us how your character is mustrusting and how bleak the world of the game is and then you tell us you "failed at the game" because you didnt do the nice guy choice. Honestly what is there to feel shit about? That you got immersed in the bleak atmosphere of the game you yourself describe?
Why arent you telling a story about how awsome the game world is that even though you are trying to be the "nice guy" the world presented is just so bleak and you are getting caught up in it. That despite your best intentions of being the nice guy you made a choice and the result did not match your intention but did underline the bleak world. Looking at the choice you understand the dystopia Fallout is presenting by becoming part of of the dystopia. Fallout is a "hellish hostile world" that is "hostile and bleak" and your choice just proofed that point. Even the nice guy creates the hell, the dystopia of Fallout. It is an awsome story of the beast within.
The only way to feel shit about it is if you cant make the seperation of real life you and virtual life you treating the pixels presenting dead bodies as substitutes of reasonable beings a la Kant thus justifying why you should feel bad about the choice.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
Warning! Major Call of Duty 4 spoilers:

I shot the gun and killed someone. It was one of the most dramatic moments I have played in any video game
That's nothing!
In Minecraft, I killed a pig with a pickaxe. I didn't sleep well that night, knowing that somewhere, a pig family was without a father to protect them from the wolves Q _ Q

Nov 28, 2007
Jade Empire. Really early in the game, one of the students in your kung-fu school gets injured, and you have a sidequest to heal her in order to challenge her record of the most students defeated in a fight at the same time. The good option is to by the pricier healing herb. The bad one is to by the cheaper painkiller herb, which doesn't actually heal.

Got her the painkiller. She was better, then accepted my challenge. Due to the fight, her leg was reinjured, possibly permanently. Then, when the school got attacked, she got killed trying to defend it, despite only having one leg to fight with. My simple dick move inadvertently caused her death. Killing people is one thing, but I somehow felt guiltier when the death was an unintended consequence of me being a jerk. Oh, and she survives if you do heal her properly, so I know it was my actions that caused it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Tales of Symphonia.
Picking to talk to Kratos in Flanoir. I had to this in order to get a special scene, an item to complete my collector's book, complete my monster book and to get him in my party later in the game. Now where's the down side? What made me feel bad? Zelos, another party member who is hilarious, the typical comic release that made conversations entertaining was the enemy that I would fill up the last slot in my monster list with. He will betray you at that point in the game no matter what. We don't just beat him, but we actually kill him. Personality wise he was my favourite character in that game and I got to kill him.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Servel times in the mass effect series and swtor make me regret a decsion, and the kotor series too. Yea bioware makes feel a bit like bastard at times.

And no I have not played spec ops yet.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Orks da best said:
Servel times in the mass effect series and swtor make me regret a decsion, and the kotor series too. Yea bioware makes feel a bit like bastard at times.
Hmm, I can never get invested enough in BioWare games. I've played most and the characters are OK but...they are just so distant from me - a village gets wiped out - big deal, somebody dies - whatever. It's even worse with the main character - it's worse because I try to bond with them but fail spectacularly when dialogue and morality come into play - I try to project some personality onto the protagonist but the choices to make are so one sided, the facade of depth or complexity falls apart. I suppose it's all right if you keep the "saint" path or the "Satan's bully" path but trying any mix is just impossible. Well, aside from Dragon Age: Origins - that game at least got the morality thing right.

HalfUlsterOtaku

Aug 30, 2012
Choosing not to fight The End in MGS3 (slight spoilers ahead).

In MGS3, there is a boss called The End. He's an old man who basically loves nothing more than the thrill of the hunt. He's basically approaching The End, if you will, of his life due to old age. His last wish is to do battle with Snake. The battle is pretty tricky. There is no music, so you have to focus on the minute details in the natural sounds e.g. rustling, his bird etc. It's never been one I could easily do.

Anyway, a friend told me about a little Easter Egg within the game. If you saved at the boss fight with The End and left the game off for about a week or so, The End would simply die of old age. Being the curious little bugger that I am, I tried it, and I felt like shit afterwards. Snake comments upon how bad he feels about not honouring that old man's final wish, which basically reflected my mood at the time.

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
thebobmaster said:
Jade Empire. Really early in the game, one of the students in your kung-fu school gets injured, and you have a sidequest to heal her in order to challenge her record of the most students defeated in a fight at the same time. The good option is to by the pricier healing herb. The bad one is to by the cheaper painkiller herb, which doesn't actually heal.

Got her the painkiller. She was better, then accepted my challenge. Due to the fight, her leg was reinjured, possibly permanently. Then, when the school got attacked, she got killed trying to defend it, despite only having one leg to fight with. My simple dick move inadvertently caused her death. Killing people is one thing, but I somehow felt guiltier when the death was an unintended consequence of me being a jerk. Oh, and she survives if you do heal her properly, so I know it was my actions that caused it.
0_0

You ninja'd me in the extreme, since that's what I was just going to write when I saw the title. Well now good sir, since you have stolen my story about being a dick I will have to retreat back to my usual lurking, but not before...

Killing Zeke. That shit was just bloody hard to do, I still feel sad when I think about it.

Caasi113

Dec 10, 2008
Tom_green_day said:
Mass Effect 2. I usually check the wiki when I think an event will have an effect on my squad, but I thought 'Hell, interactive gaming, make choices and live with them' so in the
SUICIDE MISSION
most of my squad got annihilated, including Mordin, Legion, Garrus and Jack. Oops.
Fallout 3. I was doing a bad-karma run, so I decided to
On what tasks did you lose your members? I got though with everyone but once I looked up the mission on the Wiki I found out my second choice for each task would have gone very badly.

For me it was Mass Effect 2 and 3:

Jack was the only character I didn't get the loyalty mission completed for during my first play though (teaming up with Miranda for the argument). Then during Mass effect 3 I was wandering where Jack was though the whole game until her mutated Phantom form appears in the wave of enemies D: I missed her mission in ME3and she got captured. I failed her character twice and that really got to me.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I like the Bloodlines type of scenarios where you kill someone with kindness.

I don't "like" them as in I enjoy them but I want games to include situations like that more often. Helping a village too much by solving all their problems FOR them turns them into a ripe target for plunder when you're NOT there.

Infamous 2 "evil" ending. Go watch a youtube video of it if you haven't seen it and don't mind spoilers.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
HalfUlsterOtaku said:
...seriously? That's kind of awesome but depressing.

Mine is for Mass Effect 3 (slight romance spoiler)

Miranda came back to me and wanted to start space-humping again. However, my space-squeeze Ashley had just come back into the picture and I was a conflicted space hero. I thought I would let Miranda know that I needed to think about it. Evidently, the game thought otherwise:

I thought: "Miranda. I love you but I need time to sort through these feelings of mine"

What the game meant: "Fuck you Miranda. I never loved you and I hope you die of space HIV....*****"

Her turning around and you see the tear go down her face....

Nope; unacceptable game. One of the only times I ever went back on a save in that game.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
DoPo said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:
I'm not talking about a scene that you'd see in Spec Ops, but one that is entirely of your own doing, as a player.
All right - if you didn't, I would have pre-empted the "No Spec Ops, please". I mean, we are going to get lots of replies about it but it's better to diversify.

Anyway Bloodlines

Oh Heather...

Let's explain if you opened the spoiler tag but don't know of the game: early on in the game, you find a girl in the hospital. She is dying and nobody is actually attending to her. In all fairness, the only doctor on duty is attending to a person with a bullet in his head. At any rate, she's badly wounded, bleeding and in pain - you, as a vampire, could feed her some of your blood. To keep it short, humans who drink vampiric blood are referred to as "ghouls" and they heal faster, become a bit stronger and are immortal (as long as they keep getting more vampiric blood). They are also almost universally addicted to the stuff - to make matter worse, vampiric blood while very addicting by itself itself, also tends to enslave the will of the drinker - the drinker becomes more and more captivated with the donor. And it takes drinking the blood three times to completely enslave somebody.

At any rate, the player character, at that point, doesn't know that - they barely know what a ghoul is. The only option to save Heather is to feed her blood. She eventually vanishes from the hospital but later on, she meets up with you saying she wants to thank you for saving her (she still doesn't know what happened but knows you had a role in it). At this point, it's very clear she has a fascination with the player beyond what is normal - you could tell her to just go and forget about you, but watching her is just heartbreaking. Alternatively, you could ask her to live with you. And if you do so she gladly does. During the game you can talk to her and even reveal to her your true nature but she really seems to love you so she accepts. Also, you always have the opportunity to tell her to go but she get even more miserable than ever. Also, you have two opportunities to feed her more blood (and thus completely make her your slave). The thing is, you, as a player, are never actually told you're slowly taking over her will. From your point of view, she's nothing but love an sweetness, willing to go through whatever it takes, just to be with you - she gladly gives you her allowance, if you ask for it, and she's ready to quit her studies (for her dream job, nonetheless) if you so wish it.

The final shot at releasing her comes towards the end of the game - when she is about to take the third sip of blood. After that, you have no more chance to release her. Also, if you do let her stay, she gives you the best armour in the game - unobtainable otherwise. And just a little while later, she is murdered. In front of your eyes, nonetheless. You're given the task to clear a building of baddies and along the way you see she has apparently been kidnapped and they kill her just like that. The only chance to save Heather is to actually shoo her out of your life.

One of the amazing details that makes Bloodlines so fantastic is how she'll begin to adopt traits from your clan as you go, which makes it all the more twisted if you're playing as a Malkavian. Keep her around long enough and she will begin to go insane and doing the whole malky babble-talk thing.

Troika really nailed it with her character and the entire setting in general.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
This one time, I chose to dump White Phosphorus on a bunch of soldiers. The game warned me I shouldn't, but I just DIDN'T LISTEN!

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I was playing as myself as a warrior in an attempt to understand making decisions as a more complex character than simply nice or mean. Because of this, my character didn't fully understand the dangers of blood magic (though I certainly did) and I ended up romancing Merrill. She's cute and silly, whereas I found Isabella repulsive.

Anyway, in the process of this, I reached the point where Merrill had fixed the Eluvian, but wasn't able to activate it, so she wanted to consult the demon who'd pointed her towards it in the first place. We found out that Marethari had been turned into an abomination by the demon and had to kill her.

Here's the on-topic part: When we left the cave, members of Merrill's clan had come to investigate their Keeper's disappearance. We told them the truth, and they blamed Merrill. Then they drew their swords. My heart sank as I had to kill all of Merrill's clan. In self-defense. I never knew that genocide could be committed for that reason.

I felt terrible. That was one of the most tragic moments of the game. And from there, I fought against the Qunari uprising and against the Templars when they invoked the Rite of Annulment. In both cases, I had to kill a lot of people in order to defend myself. And I was at least partially to blame for their attempts to kill me.

*sigh* And this is why I get so annoyed when the internet calls Dragon Age 2 a terrible game and throws bile at Bioware for it. No other game I've played has come close to hitting my heart as hard.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
The Madman said:
DoPo said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:

Anyway Bloodlines

Oh Heather...

One of the amazing details that makes Bloodlines so fantastic is how she'll begin to adopt traits from your clan as you go, which makes it all the more twisted if you're playing as a Malkavian. Keep her around long enough and she will begin to go insane and doing the whole malky babble-talk thing.

Troika really nailed it with her character and the entire setting in general.
Troika were absolutely awesome. There are numerous little details that hide so much detail. Heck, her whole arc is there showing exactly what it should be happening without an explicit explanation. And yet, it's not really needed, as Troika's depiction of pretty much everything is right there. It's not just the clan thing for her (although, I think it's just the Malks but I'll get back to that) but everything that psychologically changes, too.

And for the Malks, they get really awesome attention. Relatively recently I found out that they get a separate TV newscaster speech - I don't mean the tuna joke, but just find the files and listen to them - they are different from the other clans'. One example is the news about one of the shootouts - for "normal" clans, the newscaster finishes with something along the lines of "and the police are looking for suspects", Malks instead hear "and the police is looking for you".