Game Design Friday: Officeball

Scott Jon Siegel

Jul 27, 2007
Game Design Friday: Officeball

Every last Friday of the month, Scott Jon Siegel brings us another unique game design you can play just about anywhere. This week, in honor of Labor Day, Scott presents Officeball.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Does there have to be an officeball manager to serve as referee over what constitutes a valid work reason?

What is the penalty for jumping the 2 minute mark?

Can the possessor take actions to make getting the officeball more difficult, such as sitting on it?

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
My interpretation upon reading the rules was that the current holder had to hand the officeball to anyone who came to his desk with a valid work reason, and requested the ball. No safes, no locked drawers, no sitting on it. You could, of course, do so, but I think you would have to turn it over.

I am curious about the referee aspect, as a neutral 3rd party might be necessary at times when the OfficeBall holder is not at his/her desk.

Scott Jon Siegel

Jul 27, 2007
Archon said:
Does there have to be an officeball manager to serve as referee over what constitutes a valid work reason?
The hope is that this rule would become player-managed. Obviously, disputes would arise over what is and isn't a valid reason, and I've intended this sort of player-bickering to be part of the game experience. (ie: You walked over to my desk to request a stapler, but I KNOW you have a stapler already, so I call you out on it)

Archon said:
What is the penalty for jumping the 2 minute mark?
None, except you can't take the ball ;)

Archon said:
Can the possessor take actions to make getting the officeball more difficult, such as sitting on it?
In my mind, not really. The idea behind the game is to be semi-transparent. Physical struggles over possession are a little too overt in my mind. Still, the rules are definitely open for interpretation...

Geoffrey42 said:
I am curious about the referee aspect, as a neutral 3rd party might be necessary at times when the OfficeBall holder is not at his/her desk.
Or maybe the Officeball holder can't leave his/her desk, or they risk an easy steal.

Great questions! Thank for reading! --sjs