Game Dogs: Deep In the...

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Can we have some kind of answer as to when this series is actually set because Bob's having flashbacks to vietnam (55 - 75) and you're referencing Amy Winehouse? Ok fine it's a flashback it doesn't really have to follow convention, but he's having the flashback in the eighties! Or have you given up on that part of the premise?

I don't mind anachronistic jokes but not when they're not funny or even vaguely relevant.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
But, if you know we know. Then you know what we know. So knowing that, why even draw that gun or say that line?

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
The second season, is honestly getting gradually better. This one episode explained more things than the entire 1st season. Good job.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
MasterSplinter said:
But, if you know we know. Then you know what we know. So knowing that, why even draw that gun or say that line?
Because we knew you'd know we already knew. Knowing that, we had to do what we knew you'd know we already knew. And knowing is half the battle.

George Palmer

Halfro Representative
Feb 23, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
MasterSplinter said:
Because we knew you'd know we already knew. Knowing that, we had to do what we knew you'd know we already knew. And knowing is half the battle.
I don't know what either of you are talking about. Did you guys know that? Because I didn't know. Y'know?

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
George Palmer said:
CaptainCrunch said:
MasterSplinter said:
I don't know what either of you are talking about. Did you guys know that? Because I didn't know. Y'know?
We knew you'd say that. That's the second half of the battle - knowing.

George Palmer

Halfro Representative
Feb 23, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
George Palmer said:
CaptainCrunch said:
We knew you'd say that. That's the second half of the battle - knowing.
You know what the one thing that I know really well? Your mom.

yeah I went there.

Kimosaber

Nov 2, 2008
Nerf Ninja said:
Can we have some kind of answer as to when this series is actually set because Bob's having flashbacks to vietnam (55 - 75) and you're referencing Amy Winehouse? Ok fine it's a flashback it doesn't really have to follow convention, but he's having the flashback in the eighties! Or have you given up on that part of the premise?

I don't mind anachronistic jokes but not when they're not funny or even vaguely relevant.
This, most especially the last sentence. This was the point I was trying to make with you but looking back I don't believe I made it well enough. The DNF joke in the Promo was funny (It feels that long) despite the fact that it wasn't around back then, because it feels like it's been that long.

The Winehouse and the Blackberry joke from last episode don't work because they're both unfunny, go on for too long and don't fit at all. AT ALL. If they were funny or relevant at all, I wouldn't mind, but these have no basis in a show like this (in a Vietnam flashback? Really?), and only show writing that can't rely on it's own material worth a crap. Hopefully we can get some good Soviet jokes when they arrive. (Ahahahaha I just thought of someone channeling Heavy, that'd be pretty cool)

THAT BEING SAID, the rest of the material was not that bad. It's interesting to see Mr. Yee's origins! (I always assumed he was just insane)

Also, thank you for focusing less on the three mains. I literally went "oh, damnit" when they showed up last episode (a good episode up until that point, it all went downhill from there). Cut to this week's episode, they're not in it at all and lo and behold despite that one joke it was actually not bad! It's like their presence on screen is a warning of a cliff you're about to go off but the brakes in your car don't work.

It's sad because they don't look like bad characters, I like the designs of them,, they're just written awfully, and what few personality traits they have...Actually, wait, do they have personalities? I mean, last time I remember, Beth was "gamer girl", Chet was "slacker surfer", Roger was "straight-man geek" and Gary was "inept boss". Archetypes that were played out long ago.

THERE WE GO! They're generic when they're not being stupid and stupid when they're not being generic. They're also bigger cardboard cutouts than Anakin in the prequels. That's saying something. Personalize them, make them unique! Make them their own character instead of relying on generic stereotypes. Give Beth an affinity for stupid hats! Make Roger a bigger deadpan snarker! Have Chet be malevolently ingenious every once in a while! I actually liked Gary in the previous episode, because...Wow, I liked Gary. Hold on, let me let that sink in.

(Wooooow wow, wow. Wow.)

Okay, anyways, I can't quite place why I liked him so much in the last episode (aside from that ep's "that one joke"). The best I can come up with is that he was starting to get visibly flabbergasted with Yee, and actually snarked and played straight-man for a bit to Bob's seeming new role as going slightly mad (which is still pretty funny, let's hope some real hilarious stuff comes from this! Maybe setting him up against the Soviet?). At any rate, whatever you were doing with him, do more of it!

One last thing, actors, ham it up! It sounds like everyone is bored, except for a few exceptions and Bob (who I believe is intentionally like that), and it makes me bored. I gotta have more ham!

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
This seems to have gone from unfunny and bland to unfunny and stupid. I don't like this change.

Migratingchimp

Jun 7, 2010
This season is terrible compared to last season. no wonder it took so long to come out with another set of episodes. They really should just do a flashback to the writer's strike a couple years ago and say that's when this whole season was written.

George Palmer

Halfro Representative
Feb 23, 2009
Kimosaber said:
Nerf Ninja said:

This, most especially the last sentence.
You're going to be horribly disappointed when you see the episode where Bethany rides a zombie dinosaur in the year 3752 while making snarky comments about Kim Kardashians weight to Adolph Hitler's step father.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I can only hope the next gamedogs project is a war game so bob can help contribute.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I definitely think the show is stronger when it focuses on characters other than the 3 programmers and their boss.

Norik

Nov 18, 2009
Caligulove said:
I definitely think the show is stronger when it focuses on characters other than the 3 programmers and their boss.
But stronger than a leaf is like, what? A blade of grass?
The point I'm trying to make is that this series was never strong. I watch it every week to see if it's ever worth watching, and I guess it's so bad that you've hooked me on waiting for it to get good.
If that's where you were headed from the start, then bravo. You're geniuses.