Game Dogs: Episode Six: The Cleric

MasterKirov

Nov 8, 2009
lol, can't help noticing the "definately not furry" tag. I take it there's a story behind that Russ?

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
It is really distracting that they rock back and forth so much when they talk. Otherwise it was an ok episode.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Now I see one trait of Bethany that has kept on recurring... Literally reading out an expression! Instead of expressing *grrr*, she mouths out the syllables of the expression. I hope it was true, 'coz if 'aint, it's just the voice acting. Lol!

Liked Gary's new way of word repitition too. :D

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
Ok, russ, I said that I'm giving up on the series, but I'll give it one more try.
*Watches video*
:| ...yeah... now I'm pretty sure it's not my style. The jokes are ok, but there's something(I still can't put my finger on it) that keeps dragging the show down.

Good luck trying to find out what it is because, I don't think I can find it.

Blindem

Feb 10, 2009
Not impressed.

And speaking of recycled jokes and overused tropes... The whole search for secret doors/traps thing? Seriously?

That one was even done by another vid series on this site (Unforgotten Realms), and in a funnier manner. C'mon....

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I'm reposting the critique of someone that echos my sentiment (rather than reitterating what he's said. I feel like it's just the ticket to make Game Dogs really work, rather than keeping it as is (which judging by past replies, shows a sour turn out).

daedrick said:
Alright, I will make something more constructive since Russ is not happy. Here it goes. It may sound as a rant, but every rant have a suggestion attached to it. Here it goes.

Warning: Spelling and sentence construction will probably be quite ugly. But, heh, I speak french originaly. You have been warned.

Characters-------------------------

Gary; If he really want to fire people, and dont do it, and he do not really want to fire them. He is just like the evil guys in the kid's series. Not truely evil, never doing everything they can to get rid of the good guys. Anyway, his dialogue, as stated multiple times, is not funny. Its not a joke. He is just stating, over and over, that he will fire them. No joke in that sentence, just a statement. What he need to do is try to make them fail, not just wish they fail, do everything he can to make them fail... Just like the coyote and the road runner. At least that would be better than simply stating the 3 same words over and over.

Roger; Get rid of him, there is absolutly nothing funny about him. If someone need to be fired, its him. That guy, or dog if you will, is the best animated representation of how funny it is to watch paint dry. If you replaced him with a strayman sitting in his chair and never contributing anything to the show then nobody would ever notice. Because he bring absolutly ZERO energy to the show. Its just a boring nerd with nothing to say... and we see enough of these everyday. Hell, put BOB in his chair, and keep the very intelligent smooth attittude that he have now and the episode will improve greatly.

Bethany; Why dont you give her a personnality, I mean, if her personnality is to ask everyone to tell her what to do then she have none. Every time she open the mouth its to ask; What do I do, I dont know how to do it, tell me what to do, I havent done anything in my life, What kind of thing is that and so on. Anyway, girls tend to be very ''loud'', they disagree, they argues, they let their personnality out, they yell, they are angry, they dont let people walk on their feet, they cry, they blackmail... Why dont you give her a ***** personality. Hell, any personality will do! The bicth, the tease, the spoiled, the demanding, the perfectionnist...

Chet: He is cool and come with ideas. What else? He, also, need a personnality. Why dont you make him obsessed with sex? Always trying to get bethany into his bed... Hell thats just an idea, can be anything. Or make him very irresponsible, sleep on the job, smoke weed, he party every night or he game every night and never sleep. Cannot be the super stressed guy because gary is that guy.

I dont what kind of people you hang with, but they are very bland. Instead why dont you look at people you would never hang with, the outgoing and gregarious people. The people with stuff happening in their lifes. The kind of things that is fun to watch because you despite them or because you envy them. You know?

Bob: Bob is fine, I enjoy him, people enjoy him. Its my favorite character.

Yenn: I dont personaly like that character, but some people do. Its a cliche in my opinion but if the people like him the way he is, then lets leave him that way.

General------------------------

The animations doesnt bother me personnaly, Im used to it. But I have to agree about the facial expressions. It might be because they are dogs, but there is not a lot of emotions emanate out of their faces.

So, use the tails... When the tail is held high, shows that the dog is alert; Tail between the legs means that the dog is afraid. If the fur on the tail is also bristled, the dog is saying they are willing to defend. Small, slow wags of the tail says the dog is questioning things around them. Either they aren't sure if the target dog or person is friendly, or they aren't sure what is going on or what is expected of them. Large, fast wags of the tail may be a sign of a happy or excited dog,

Remove the ''this was animated in front of a live audiance''. If you do find it funny unlike most of us, it still imply that the ''live audience'' does'nt find it funny at all since there are no canned laugh going off ever. So it imply that its not funny. Dont remember who stated that on what page, but I agree with them completly.

Change the ''Are you insane'' comment of Gary every episodes so it become a running gag just like the simpson with bart in the classroom or the family on the couch. If you dont like that idea, I suggest that you simply remove it since it bring nothing to the episodes but repetition and irritate the most part of viewers. I dont know if you play video games, I hope you do, but in video games the sounds repeating over and over tend to irritate the players... so its not really a good idea to put that in your animations. (fire in the hole, fire in the hole, fire in the hole, fire in the hole; that kind of stuff)

Conclusion--------------------------------

If you dont want to consider these suggestions seriusly and continu the way you are going. Then congratz, you succesfully made a children serie on an adult website. At least, I think its for adults... well, mature gamers. But are gamers matures at all? Thats whe question!

I don't nessessarily want Game Dogs to go away. I don't enjoy it, but I want to offer up things that may help it become more successful, rather than rag on it. If the creators don't care to make changes, and like where they're going with things, that's cool too. :) Just not my kinda show, I guess.

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
I enjoyed this week's episode :)
And I can sympathise, I know what irritating D&D players are like when you're trying to DM.
Keep up the good work :)

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Archemetis said:
I'm not going to write my usual "I wish I could like this, because then I wouldn't feel bad for only watching half of it." speech...
I'm just going to say one thing.

Seriously, drop the "animated in front of a live studio audience" ... 'joke', please?

The joke was funny, when Futurama did it... did it once I might add...

But this has been a feature for every episode, it was a good reference the first time I saw it, I had a little chuckle, but now it's annoying.
Agreed. That is the bane of this show! The weekly cringe. I'll take the auditory Sigh since I do that and can't help but feel it is needed in certain situations. But I've never seen the live studio audience nor been invited to partake in the live studio audience, therefore I must denounce it to the rank of a lie or a dry kitchen sponge catching fire when microwaved.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Sigh.

I've been refraining from holding an opinion on the series so far, but if you turned the dogs back into people it'd be a mundane cliché premise that's been explored countlessly and with more humour than this. Why are the characters dogs? The only thing this has brought to the table is the odd pun or wordplay. I don't mean to sound whiny, and I realise this entertainment is being brought to us all for free, but I'd suggest some reasoning as to 'why' everything is as it is.

Anthropomorphic characters are often used because the animal side is an integral part of the plot or 'feel' of the premise, or to make something appeal to a younger audience. This doesn't feel like either. In my honest opinion, in hopes of making constructive criticism rather than internet *****-fest, is to start questioning things now while they're still novelty before they get old.

13thforswarn

Jul 11, 2009
This episode was actually good! Unlike the all the other disappointing episodes, this episode made me laugh! "You have aroused the townspeople, 100 xp!".

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Well, it was good till about 2:10 when they used the same "I check for hidden doors, you don't know there aren't any if I haven't rolled yet, I do it anyway" joke. Seriously. You think we, as gamers, wouldn't notice such a huge rip-off?

What's next, you'll have your party's mage cast Barking Missiles on the Darkness?

...edit, I watched it to 3:30 right now, he used the line "I cast magic missile on Gary's ass". Wow. I knew he would say it before watching him say it. Am I a psychic now?

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Biggest problem I had with it was, who actually says "sigh"? I have never heard anyone actually say "sigh" in real life.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Firia said:
I'm reposting the critique of someone that echos my sentiment (rather than reitterating what he's said. I feel like it's just the ticket to make Game Dogs really work, rather than keeping it as is (which judging by past replies, shows a sour turn out).

daedrick said:
Alright, I will make something more constructive since Russ is not happy. Here it goes. It may sound as a rant, but every rant have a suggestion attached to it. Here it goes.

Warning: Spelling and sentence construction will probably be quite ugly. But, heh, I speak french originaly. You have been warned.

Characters-------------------------

Gary; If he really want to fire people, and dont do it, and he do not really want to fire them. He is just like the evil guys in the kid's series. Not truely evil, never doing everything they can to get rid of the good guys. Anyway, his dialogue, as stated multiple times, is not funny. Its not a joke. He is just stating, over and over, that he will fire them. No joke in that sentence, just a statement. What he need to do is try to make them fail, not just wish they fail, do everything he can to make them fail... Just like the coyote and the road runner. At least that would be better than simply stating the 3 same words over and over.

Roger; Get rid of him, there is absolutly nothing funny about him. If someone need to be fired, its him. That guy, or dog if you will, is the best animated representation of how funny it is to watch paint dry. If you replaced him with a strayman sitting in his chair and never contributing anything to the show then nobody would ever notice. Because he bring absolutly ZERO energy to the show. Its just a boring nerd with nothing to say... and we see enough of these everyday. Hell, put BOB in his chair, and keep the very intelligent smooth attittude that he have now and the episode will improve greatly.

Bethany; Why dont you give her a personnality, I mean, if her personnality is to ask everyone to tell her what to do then she have none. Every time she open the mouth its to ask; What do I do, I dont know how to do it, tell me what to do, I havent done anything in my life, What kind of thing is that and so on. Anyway, girls tend to be very ''loud'', they disagree, they argues, they let their personnality out, they yell, they are angry, they dont let people walk on their feet, they cry, they blackmail... Why dont you give her a ***** personality. Hell, any personality will do! The bicth, the tease, the spoiled, the demanding, the perfectionnist...

Chet: He is cool and come with ideas. What else? He, also, need a personnality. Why dont you make him obsessed with sex? Always trying to get bethany into his bed... Hell thats just an idea, can be anything. Or make him very irresponsible, sleep on the job, smoke weed, he party every night or he game every night and never sleep. Cannot be the super stressed guy because gary is that guy.

I dont what kind of people you hang with, but they are very bland. Instead why dont you look at people you would never hang with, the outgoing and gregarious people. The people with stuff happening in their lifes. The kind of things that is fun to watch because you despite them or because you envy them. You know?

Bob: Bob is fine, I enjoy him, people enjoy him. Its my favorite character.

Yenn: I dont personaly like that character, but some people do. Its a cliche in my opinion but if the people like him the way he is, then lets leave him that way.

General------------------------

The animations doesnt bother me personnaly, Im used to it. But I have to agree about the facial expressions. It might be because they are dogs, but there is not a lot of emotions emanate out of their faces.

So, use the tails... When the tail is held high, shows that the dog is alert; Tail between the legs means that the dog is afraid. If the fur on the tail is also bristled, the dog is saying they are willing to defend. Small, slow wags of the tail says the dog is questioning things around them. Either they aren't sure if the target dog or person is friendly, or they aren't sure what is going on or what is expected of them. Large, fast wags of the tail may be a sign of a happy or excited dog,

Remove the ''this was animated in front of a live audiance''. If you do find it funny unlike most of us, it still imply that the ''live audience'' does'nt find it funny at all since there are no canned laugh going off ever. So it imply that its not funny. Dont remember who stated that on what page, but I agree with them completly.

Change the ''Are you insane'' comment of Gary every episodes so it become a running gag just like the simpson with bart in the classroom or the family on the couch. If you dont like that idea, I suggest that you simply remove it since it bring nothing to the episodes but repetition and irritate the most part of viewers. I dont know if you play video games, I hope you do, but in video games the sounds repeating over and over tend to irritate the players... so its not really a good idea to put that in your animations. (fire in the hole, fire in the hole, fire in the hole, fire in the hole; that kind of stuff)

Conclusion--------------------------------

If you dont want to consider these suggestions seriusly and continu the way you are going. Then congratz, you succesfully made a children serie on an adult website. At least, I think its for adults... well, mature gamers. But are gamers matures at all? Thats whe question!

I don't nessessarily want Game Dogs to go away. I don't enjoy it, but I want to offer up things that may help it become more successful, rather than rag on it. If the creators don't care to make changes, and like where they're going with things, that's cool too. :) Just not my kinda show, I guess.
Good, God yes!

This Daedrick guy has exactly the right ideas!

More evidence that the Escapist community should be listened to every once in a while...

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
I was actually mildly entertained by this one. Before watching it I was going to say that I don't know why I keep watching, and its probably because I have nothing better to do with my time. But I was satisfied with those few minutes of my life. Good work.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
I'm actually glad for this shows existance. Game Dogs stands as a shining example of how to alienate your websites core audience and to create characters and plot lines that are done better by its peers and offer nothing new whatsoever. Doraleous and Associates is no golden nugget either, but it is by far the best animated show the Escapist has offered so far. Ditch this monstrosity and the ongoing embarrassment which is Apocalypse Lane (I would love to see if the traffic for that cartoon justifies its presence) and you would certainly have a more respectable video line up.

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
Okay, I am no glad I've stuck with this one because this episode was hilarious. Gary is getting less annoying and I love the girl right now.

"Sigh..." I say sigh sometimes.