Game Dogs: Episode Six: The Cleric

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Man this is actually really rather good

You're doing well Russ; got a little annoyed with the whole "secret door" thing which reminded me of unforgotten realms but over than that it was a funny little episode

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
This is still pathetic. I don't understand why people are saying this is getting better. You've descended into a very, very, very commonly used section of material.

1. Oh, we have a girl.
2. Oh, we will play D&D with her.
3. Oh, we will make sexist jokes at her expense.
4. Oh...for some bizarre reason, she will put up with it and allow the man-children to use her instead of getting friends who respect her.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
historybuff said:
This is still pathetic. I don't understand why people are saying this is getting better. You've descended into a very, very, very commonly used section of material.

1. Oh, we have a girl.
2. Oh, we will play D&D with her.
3. Oh, we will make sexist jokes at her expense.
4. Oh...for some bizarre reason, she will put up with it and allow the man-children to use her instead of getting friends who respect her.
It all goes hand in hand to make:

5. Oh, the majority of viewers have left with the opinion that this has more suck than an imploding star but we'll keep churning it out anyway because apparently we know better, and this is our site so we'll do what we want to so there, nyah.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
"A few more dances and they might start talking."

One of the funniest lines in the series so far.

Netrosis

Jul 12, 2009
Firia said:
I'm reposting the critique of someone that echos my sentiment (rather than reitterating what he's said. I feel like it's just the ticket to make Game Dogs really work, rather than keeping it as is (which judging by past replies, shows a sour turn out).

daedrick said:
Alright, I will make something more constructive since Russ is not happy. Here it goes. It may sound as a rant, but every rant have a suggestion attached to it. Here it goes.

Warning: Spelling and sentence construction will probably be quite ugly. But, heh, I speak french originaly. You have been warned.

Characters-------------------------

Gary; If he really want to fire people, and dont do it, and he do not really want to fire them. He is just like the evil guys in the kid's series. Not truely evil, never doing everything they can to get rid of the good guys. Anyway, his dialogue, as stated multiple times, is not funny. Its not a joke. He is just stating, over and over, that he will fire them. No joke in that sentence, just a statement. What he need to do is try to make them fail, not just wish they fail, do everything he can to make them fail... Just like the coyote and the road runner. At least that would be better than simply stating the 3 same words over and over.

Roger; Get rid of him, there is absolutly nothing funny about him. If someone need to be fired, its him. That guy, or dog if you will, is the best animated representation of how funny it is to watch paint dry. If you replaced him with a strayman sitting in his chair and never contributing anything to the show then nobody would ever notice. Because he bring absolutly ZERO energy to the show. Its just a boring nerd with nothing to say... and we see enough of these everyday. Hell, put BOB in his chair, and keep the very intelligent smooth attittude that he have now and the episode will improve greatly.

Bethany; Why dont you give her a personnality, I mean, if her personnality is to ask everyone to tell her what to do then she have none. Every time she open the mouth its to ask; What do I do, I dont know how to do it, tell me what to do, I havent done anything in my life, What kind of thing is that and so on. Anyway, girls tend to be very ''loud'', they disagree, they argues, they let their personnality out, they yell, they are angry, they dont let people walk on their feet, they cry, they blackmail... Why dont you give her a ***** personality. Hell, any personality will do! The bicth, the tease, the spoiled, the demanding, the perfectionnist...

Chet: He is cool and come with ideas. What else? He, also, need a personnality. Why dont you make him obsessed with sex? Always trying to get bethany into his bed... Hell thats just an idea, can be anything. Or make him very irresponsible, sleep on the job, smoke weed, he party every night or he game every night and never sleep. Cannot be the super stressed guy because gary is that guy.

I dont what kind of people you hang with, but they are very bland. Instead why dont you look at people you would never hang with, the outgoing and gregarious people. The people with stuff happening in their lifes. The kind of things that is fun to watch because you despite them or because you envy them. You know?

Bob: Bob is fine, I enjoy him, people enjoy him. Its my favorite character.

Yenn: I dont personaly like that character, but some people do. Its a cliche in my opinion but if the people like him the way he is, then lets leave him that way.

General------------------------

The animations doesnt bother me personnaly, Im used to it. But I have to agree about the facial expressions. It might be because they are dogs, but there is not a lot of emotions emanate out of their faces.

So, use the tails... When the tail is held high, shows that the dog is alert; Tail between the legs means that the dog is afraid. If the fur on the tail is also bristled, the dog is saying they are willing to defend. Small, slow wags of the tail says the dog is questioning things around them. Either they aren't sure if the target dog or person is friendly, or they aren't sure what is going on or what is expected of them. Large, fast wags of the tail may be a sign of a happy or excited dog,

Remove the ''this was animated in front of a live audiance''. If you do find it funny unlike most of us, it still imply that the ''live audience'' does'nt find it funny at all since there are no canned laugh going off ever. So it imply that its not funny. Dont remember who stated that on what page, but I agree with them completly.

Change the ''Are you insane'' comment of Gary every episodes so it become a running gag just like the simpson with bart in the classroom or the family on the couch. If you dont like that idea, I suggest that you simply remove it since it bring nothing to the episodes but repetition and irritate the most part of viewers. I dont know if you play video games, I hope you do, but in video games the sounds repeating over and over tend to irritate the players... so its not really a good idea to put that in your animations. (fire in the hole, fire in the hole, fire in the hole, fire in the hole; that kind of stuff)

Conclusion--------------------------------

If you dont want to consider these suggestions seriusly and continu the way you are going. Then congratz, you succesfully made a children serie on an adult website. At least, I think its for adults... well, mature gamers. But are gamers matures at all? Thats whe question!

I don't nessessarily want Game Dogs to go away. I don't enjoy it, but I want to offer up things that may help it become more successful, rather than rag on it. If the creators don't care to make changes, and like where they're going with things, that's cool too. :) Just not my kinda show, I guess.
I pretty much agree with a lot of the criticism there.

But, after 6 episodes, there is no sign of the authors taking on any criticism from their audience. They haven't responded as to why they are making the design decisions and haven't made any moves towards changing things. The biggest and easiest thing to fix would be removing the "this was animated before a live studio audience", and still no signs of that changing.

The other thing that I think is going to get boring to those who aren't already sick of this series is the fact that there are no changes of scenery. It's all in the same place for each episode.

w1ndscar

Jul 22, 2009
I think there is a small chance of this show getting decent, but it still hasn't made it. Gary's just gotten annoying, and Bethany's constant saying "sigh" and "grr" gets just as bad. Someone else on this thread said something about breaking them away from the office or something, and I think that would work well, especially after you guys run into using UR jokes :/ I don't normally mind a cameo reference or using another persons joke, but you should at least use it in such a way that it makes those who know it appreciate it just as much as they did when the original person said it. And on that note, it would've made more sense for Roger and Chet to switch lines on that portion of the show. Anyways, I'm hoping this show will get better, but... we'll see.

Mello Yello

Nov 18, 2009
Still improving. The dialogue seems a little more comfortable, that's a good sign. I actually chuckled at just the way Chet and Roger were talking to each other once.

Recommendations: Seriously, I agree with everyone else in that you seriously need to drop the 'live audience animation' thing. Also the Gary 'insane' thing. I actually like the idea of making him say a different thing each episiode.

As for Bethany, I'm glad that she actually has some lines now and some traces of personality, but I'm worried she's starting to come out as a one-sided character: i.e. all her jokes are about sexism. Seriously, that character's been done before, and it's frankly not funny. She's never going to jive with the other characters if all they ever do is make pseudomysoginy jokes. One or two of those every now and then would be alright, but this is two episodes in a row and I'm starting to think its becoming a trend.

In general, though, I think the most important thing is just to be more outgoing in the writing. As it is, the show doesn't push any envelopes, and almost seems to be TRYING to be subdued and subtle. Believe me, sublte is the last thing the show needs. Seriously, man, go nuts!! Nobody will blame you at all if the next epidode is totally off the wall. Take it to different settings, throw in some slapstick, make some Scotland jokes, ANYTHING. The worst that could happen is that the new ideas flop, which isn't much worse than where you are now.

Also, experiment with the facial expressions and voice acting a bit more. Chet's ablilty to be goofy is kind of hampered because he always has this weird serious expression on his face.

Hope this helps.

PS. BTW, you've got something there with Bob...keep him as a recurring character, but PLEASE don't overuse him and make him a chichè...

EDIT: Oh, and the swearing element that made its debut in this episode...toy around with it, it might work, just...don't make Roger do it. Nerds like him just don't swear.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Mirrorknight said:
OK, this series is officially the "Family Circus" of The Escapist. It's always there, in the upper left hand corner, just waiting to suck.
This one statement was exponentially funnier than the entirety of Game Dogs.

Wait a minute. Strike that. Nothing to the power of anything is still nothing.

Roland123

Nov 25, 2009
The more series I enjoy on this site, the more I have to look forward to during the week. So I'm trying hard to enjoy this series. I honestly hated the pilot and first couple of episodes, but I've been warming up to these last ones. As a member of the audience I'd like to offer a couple of suggestions and opinions, with a grain of salt and all that, and am curious if anybody else here agrees or is thinking the same way.

Please get rid of the little dog asking if I'm insane at the beginning of the episode. I didn't think it was particularly amusing the first time and that hasn't changed as I've been watching him in the series. In fact, I think it sets a weird unpleasant tone for the rest of the episode.

Please get rid of the "animated before a live studio audience bit" in the beginning as well. Same reasons as above, plus it feels decidedly unoriginal and somewhat... patronizing? As in "I get the joke, it's just not that clever to be telling it at the beginning of every episode."

Please change the series' logo. Having the main characters smiling around that one dog that's looking straight at me while pointing his pistol-posed-hands at me as if he were thinking "Heyyyyy" is... no good.
I know that's just nitpicking, but nits must die.

I get the sense that most of the characters (and the actual humor) so far fall into pretty standard, predictable types. There's the nerdy, pushover dog; the laid-back "don't have a cow" dog; the token pretty girl dog; and the over-bearing boss dog thing. That's fine and dandy and characters will always fall into one basic type or another, but I find myself seriously disliking them due to their lack of depth. I think people react to characters in a positive way when they are developed from a dynamic that comes from the interactions of several layers within the character, regardless of the actual character and his actions being agreeable or likable. There's a difference between disliking or disagreeing with a character that you can still genuinely relate to, and disliking a character because it hasn't been well developed (essentially becoming a non-character). That said, I did think it was funny earlier on (I think it was the 2nd episode) when the nerdy dog busted out with a sword and threatened the boss with it, but he then promptly returned to his one dimensional nerd type while the other character kept saying things like "man" and "radical."

I'm not saying that characters should constantly behave in a manner that's inconsistent with their type (that would just make them schizoid... although THAT would be an interesting character to have), but characters are given depth and become more well defined when you show and reconcile behavior that on the surface seems to contradict who you thought they were. So for example, the nerdy pushover character pulls out a sword and threatens his boss. How does that reconcile with his character? Well, he must be a nerdy pushover character with repressed aggression. Interesting. How does his repressed aggression show itself in different circumstances? How does that interact with another character's traits? And finally, how is that funny and entertaining? I should say that I don't believe we get there by just planning it, although there's a place for planning things out. I believe this mainly happens during the actual creative process if we're open to it and allow for it to happen.

Finally, there's something about the actual themes in the humor and circumstances that come up that I think could be much better. The main idea of the office dynamic seems to be: disconnected upper management (Mr. Yee); kinda fascist, mean middle management (little dog thing - what is he, a chihuahua?); and nonconformist youth thing (the rest). And that's all well and good, but it needs more depth. And I think we get depth by presenting the theme in as many different ways as we can. So far we only have that one presentation of office dynamics, and it's way too flat, which makes it kinda predictable and boring. Another example in the last couple of episodes is the whole misogynist theme. There were some jokes and the girl rolled her eyes and sighed alot (by literally saying the word "sigh," which I feel was a mistake). And that was it. The episodes remained inside the boundaries of the cliched stereotyped theme which, again, becomes predictable and boring but this time I was kinda insulted as well. The novelty of having cartoon dogs acting like humans isn't enough; like a mediocre shooter with awesome graphics you get over it quickly and realize it's not that great a game.

I know we're just 6 episodes in, but I think most people can instinctively and rather quickly tell whether a show has something genuine to offer or is hiding behind types and cliches or novelty and shock value to impress. And I think there's really alot that can be done with the basic idea here.

Well that turned out to be longer than I expected. I realize I'm not the one with the actual responsibility of putting a series together and presenting it to an audience, and reading back I recognize I'm being pretty pretentious and getting worked up over a cartoon. Still, a better series would be better for all of us, and I hope someone finds something of value in my rant.

Anybody else thinking along these lines?

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to catch this. It is turning out to be a pretty good series BUT some things need to change. The animated before a live studio audience, like someone mentioned, has been used already. Another pet peeve is the strung out opening credits; I know you have to give everyone credit, just do it after the cartoon. And one last thing, this is a furry show. Those characters are anthropomorphic dogs so its a furry show. But who cares because it is actually getting good now.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Was the trap thing intended to be an homage to UR?

Because it kind of came off as a blatant rip off.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Ugh, another terrible episode, not funny at all. So much stuff that needs to be taken out, especially at the beginning.

And why the fuck was she saying sigh? When I say, I do not say sigh, I SIGH.

equalplatinum

Jul 10, 2009
There's something wrong with me, I can't stop clicking the link even though I know it's going to suck hard.

How many shows have done the D&D thing? Some were ONLY that, like Unforgotten Realms and yet this show had to go there... and not even do anything original. This was literally the Dead Alewives sketch with dogs. The girl who's new, the annoying guy... common guys, this is bordering on plagiarism.

At least this time I didn't finish the episode.