Game Dogs: Episode Three: Mr. Yee

MimsySnark

Cat's Meow
Jan 18, 2010
This is the first episode I've watched, so I might go back and watch the first two, but the whole time I kept thinking that I would have found the whole thing very funny if it was just done by real people. To me, the premise that these are dogs just isn't funny on its own, and everything that was said could have been spoken by humans and been much funnier. With the dogs, we miss out on good reactions to dialogue, and on nuanced characterization.

Matman47

Dec 18, 2009
Watch J-Pod. Then you'll understand how to make a series about the games industry funny.

This was bad. Not as bad as the previous two, but still pretty bad.

Typhron

Dec 17, 2008
Mortons4ck said:
Also, wasn't the "rock and/or roll" from a line from Rev. Lovejoy?
It's the Simpsons, so that's either a yes or yes, but something much older did it and they referenced it.

The show's humor IS pretty hit and miss, but so are a lot of things starting out. I think I'm willing stick out long enough to see if this show will Grow a Beard or not.

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
Yeah alrighty. This was the episode I was waiting for. Very nice. I watched it, laughed hard. Watched Apocalypse Lane, laughed. Then came back to watch this again and laugh once more. Keep it up.

I can't help but wonder how Mr. Yee got all that money being dense like that.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
-Zen- said:
Benjeezy said:
game dogs drinking game:

-everytime a joke misses completely, take a drink
-everytime gary repeats himself due to lack of writer creativity, take a drink
-everytime the girl says anything, snort a line of salt
-everytime 30 seconds pass with essentially nothing being said, stop watching
I don't think there's ever been a drinking game more capable of causing liver failure than this one.
Sign me up!

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Far too predictable. A lot of jokes are being used that the majority of us have heard before. And the characters are far too generic. E.g. "Mean Boss", "Absent-minded owner".

Give it a couple more though.

Apocalypse Lane wasn't great at the start after all and now it's one of my favourites.

VanirDeity

Jan 31, 2010
I think I'm finally beginning to get this series. It's almost like a meta-narrative on gamer culture, meant to be so ironic and cliche that it actually ends up being funny because of its poorly written, overused jokes and character archetypes.

Its like a parody of the 2 gamers on a couch bit. By being so bad that its actually come full circle.

Oh wait, thats not the case? Its just that badly done? You mean the fact that every one of those comedic elements has been done to death isn't ironic, its just poor writing? You mean that the fact that its just codemonkeys done worse with dogs isn't supposed to be a parody?

Oh. Wow. Thats...cool.

Regardless of how badly written and horribly cliche it is, that animation is even worse. I'll let you get away with the essentially furry design of the characters, but the animation is awful even by flash standards. The characters have what, 3-4 poses? That they endlessly cycle through in an attempt to not be static cut-outs even if the conversation and inflection of there voice doesn't match up to the gestures theyre making in any way?

But I will thank you for the idea of a meta-"2 gamers on a couch" series. That could be genius. I guess this show is good for something.

Nico III

Apr 16, 2008
Ugh, not for me.

Not convinced by the last 2 episodes, and found the clichéd name-forgetting and "girls don't play videogames" jokes to be awful.

Noxat

Jan 26, 2010
Well not terrible but this episode fell a bit flat. I kinda like the animation style, it's simple but has a certain charm. Mr. Yee was awfully cliche but I laughed a bit when he states, "Well that was thoughtless of me!" when discovering the shirt he hates was his own Christmas gift.

Vimbert

Aug 15, 2009
Typhron said:
I think I'm willing stick out long enough to see if this show will Grow a Beard or not.
I think it'll stay in So Bad It's Awful territory, but hope springs eternal, I suppose.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
It's just somewhat unfortunate that this series was released at about the same time as "Doraleus and Associates", as I can't help but compare the two, and unfortunately, "Game Dogs" ends up looking even less funny by comparison.