Game Dogs: Launch Party

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
It's uh....

-sigh-

i didn't laugh at all, I wanted to, but I didn't...

But at least it's getting better for some people.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
So this is how the Kingdom of Meh got founded? A sudden big bang of mehness, so powerful that it founded a whole city-state.

Also, the plot and characters (even down to the take-over by a third-party) seem to have been done before. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Monkeys]

chessmasterhex

Dec 3, 2009
I don't know how, but this is growing on me. Seems like the less we see of the main characters the funnier this gets. Perhaps it's just me. No no wait, it's you.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Zeromaeus said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Zeromaeus said:
Quiet Stranger said:
I couldn't get past the first minute.....way too boring
This may seem incredibly off topic, but have you seen Scott Pilgrim?
It starts off really slowly and gets absolutely amazing over time.
This didn't. It was kind of meh. I just hope you don't judge everything on the immediate gratification scale.
I have seen it and I thought every minute of that was awesome (I read the comics)
Speaking of the comics, where do you get them? Are they just online or should I go look for the nearest Barnes and Noble or comic shop?
I would expect you probably could order them online from a website but any comic book shop worth it's grit should have it, I first discovered the SP series at my local library

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
I gave up on the first series but thought maybe the second would be better, to the point of watching it all.

I tried to smile at some of it and I have to admit, Bob's freakout was actually pretty funny, just a shame the episode was ruined by the other 5 characters (you know the ones; Shouty, Nutbag/'Wacky', Douche, Brainless and Dull).

I don't even understand why the main characters are dogs, or what it's meant to bring to it, if all of them were replaced with people it wouldn't really make any difference.

Long story short, came back to give it a go, there's a slight improvement but not enough to watch again.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Still as funny as it ever was, I.E. not at all.

I thought it was supposed to be set in the eighties? if so, how come short arse has a blackberry?

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
It was good for the first half, but the main three characters (forgive me for not knowing their names), are so boring. Really, they ruined it for me. I'm hoping that the rest of the series gets better characterizations, or I don't think I will watch it the whole way through.

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
Well, I am a fan of this so I will keep watching to see if season 2 can give something better than this starter.

Seriously guys, the Blackberry joke is the most padded out thing I have seen since Transformers 2. And that shit was padded like crazy. I was having good vibes when Bob started having flashbacks ala Red Dawn, but it returned as one of the worst brick jokes I have ever seen. If you reduced the show to pissing jokes...But I know you guys will get better, you always do. so here I am, waiting for episode 2 :)

capnpupster

Jul 15, 2008
Still not funny. I think it has to do with the three protagonists being really boring. The only thing about any of them that really stood out for me from the first season was that the girl dog(see, I don't even remember any of their names) would say "grrr" when she got angry, and that only stood out because some idiot decided it would be better to have her say "grrr" instead of actually growling.
Anyway, why didn't the protagonists use their "huge" royalty checks to start their own small company instead of getting their jobs back at a place that they hate working. The boss is a tiny jerk, and his bosses are now "ruthless" Russians.
I'll probably give it a couple more episodes to stop sucking, but I'm still not holding out any hope for this one.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
I too want very much to like this show. I know how hard it is to try to put out an original animated project. I made about 8 episode of my own concept a few years back and each 5-minute movie took me months. The resources are intensive and the product is never going to please everyone. (The feedback you see here is a good example of that.)

I know The Escapist is making this product in-house and they have made the call to produce two seasons. The animation is fine. The art style is fine. For a weekly webseries, the quality has to suffer a little and certain compromises between richness and speed have to be made.

Where I think this product suffers is in the audio delivery. The writing seems to be a bit weak and the delivery wooden. The voice talent is folks on The Escapist staff if I remember correctly. While I have no idea how much of this season is actually "in the can" I would suggest the following...

1. Build your script outlines and let the actors read their lines together. Put everybody in a circle with a microphone like the guys over at D&A. Let them interact and ham it up. Get some more spontaneity into the dialogue. Every line in there now sounds active, but nothing ever seems to be reactive to anybody else.

2. Keep going. This series can be good. I keep tuning in to see if you are actually going to incorporate more game development insider information. The episode on "design creep" was probably my favorite because I had never considered the concept. I would love to see more of that. Your target audience is folks who like/play/write/dream about video games. Seems like a really good match to me.

3. Hold an Escapist Contest to write a script for the show. Winner gets writers credit for that episode (and maybe a guest voice if they have a good mic and can act worth a crap). Hell, call it the "It was only a dream" episode and pretend it never happened if you like. This gets you some fresh ideas for plot, a lot of feedback for what your audience wants to see, and some more interest in the show.

Keep it up. "There's gold in them thar heelers!"

Becoming Insane

Jun 18, 2008
So yeah... pretty much ctrl+c, ctrl+v the "almost there"s, the "shows promise"s, and the "made me smile but not really laugh"s together and you have my opinion. Also needs smoother animation (time/budget permitting). Hope to see more (and hopefully better) soon!

~BI

EDIT:
Clankenbeard said:
1. Build your script outlines and let the actors read their lines together. Put everybody in a circle with a microphone like the guys over at D&A. Let them interact and ham it up. Get some more spontaneity into the dialogue. Every line in there now sounds active, but nothing ever seems to be reactive to anybody else.

2. Keep going. This series can be good. I keep tuning in to see if you are actually going to incorporate more game development insider information. The episode on "design creep" was probably my favorite because I had never considered the concept. I would love to see more of that. Your target audience is folks who like/play/write/dream about video games. Seems like a really good match to me.

3. Hold an Escapist Contest to write a script for the show. Winner gets writers credit for that episode (and maybe a guest voice if they have a good mic and can act worth a crap). Hell, call it the "It was only a dream" episode and pretend it never happened if you like. This gets you some fresh ideas for plot, a lot of feedback for what your audience wants to see, and some more interest in the show.

Keep it up. "There's gold in them thar heelers!"
+1 to these points.

~BI

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
The whole Russian thing was hilarious. Everything else was extraordinarily boring. I want my five minutes back.