Game Dogs: The Hand of Fate

Ziggy the wolf

May 26, 2009
...i have to say that i liked Game dogs and it showed love to furries intentionally or unintentionally and the only two characters i liked and made me watch cause they made the rest of the cast standible and i voted for chet with a passion cause he does NOTHING AT FUCKING ALL! i love the escapist but this deeply saddens me and i hope this is a joke. i love Game Dogs but if my fears are confirmed, not like anyone cares, you have lost another fan and if the comments prove me right there arent many

Bloodyfish

Aug 5, 2009
snowfox said:
George Palmer said:
ResukeZero said:
tman_au said:
Makes perfect sense to me. Roger had the hots for Bethany (hint as per last ep), Bethany is run over, giving Roger no reason to live. A rough, bloody and effective segue.
Finally someone gets it.
Not bad, not bad. But alas, how did Roger know Bethany was dead?

I think you may need to lis...errr, I mean, watch again.

:)
What I got from the past 3 episodes you mentioned, is I don't think Roger committed suicide, I think he was murdered by one of the Russians.
I agree, I'm quite sure I heard the sound of a door closing right before the video panned up on his body. Also, forgive me if this was mentioned earlier, but what fell down when he stepped off the table?

WopWopWop

Feb 10, 2010
Wow.

1) Bethany, as many of you have so rightly believed, is not dead. It was a faux death all conjured up in the mind of Bob, with allusions made to the scene in American Psycho where Patrick Bateman decapitates Paul Allen to the tune of "It's Hip to be Square" by Huey Lewis and the News. That was the music playing in the background. I mean, come on, he even quoted directly from the movie ("Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now you fucking stupid bastard!"). Russ and George just duped most of you into believing that she did, for the sake of this major publicity rouse to which I am currently contributing. So let's get this clear: Beth did not die (she didn't get enough votes as said before by other posters).

2) Roger, on the other hand, is most certainly dead. We are foreshadowed to the indelibility and credibility of this death by the appearance of the words Ex Machina from the phrase "Deus Ex Machina", translated from Latin to mean "God out of the Machine". Someone has said this before but it is a plot device that appears spontaneously (suicide) to correct a situation in the story (Roger being alive)

3) "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" is the final episode of M.A.S.H. where Hawkeye Pierce reveals that he, like Bob, silences a compatriot within a vehicle. Just a cultural reference here.

4) The author of the book on law, A.Macris, is one of the executive producers.

5) The Suicide Kit of David Carradine (as first featured in Knives-R-Us) was what Roger used to off himself. Any relation to the actual Carradine's death?

6) Noticed a stand in the background near the beginning before the roadkill. Any explanations?

7) Some voices in the background. Sorry but I can't really get this one; can anybody?

Overall, lovely episode. Shame about the background voices though; hopefully someone can help me on this one.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
ResukeZero said:
tman_au said:
Makes perfect sense to me. Roger had the hots for Bethany (hint as per last ep), Bethany is run over, giving Roger no reason to live. A rough, bloody and effective segue.
Finally someone gets it.
Rather eerie:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23888365-double-tragedy-student-suicide-after-friend-killed-by-london-bus.do

tman_au

Mar 30, 2009
George Palmer said:
ResukeZero said:
tman_au said:
Finally someone gets it.

You can see the mobile phone drop to the floor after Roger jumps. Could it be that Roger was having a conversation with Bethany on the phone (maybe a video conversation) as the accident happened? He would have heard the accident occurring.
Am I close?

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
I declare this non-cannon.

Very tasteless guys. You don't do that to a well developed character, only extras.

Dogmeat T Dingo

Sep 4, 2008
tman_au said:
I've got to admit it took a while for me to work that out, otherwise Roger's death is completely pointless. He had no issues at all that would have driven him to suicide, so I can only assume his death takes place some time after he finds out.

A pity, since those were the two characters I actually liked. Their seemingly awkward affection for each other had great comedic story potential, but now that opportunity has been wasted and we're stuck with the remaining bland one dimensional characters with no underlying plot devices. Not that I'm saying Bethany and Roger were deep characters or anything, just that they were the most promising when it came to adding a side plot that might have given the show a little more depth.

Also, why didn't you guys just kill off Gary? Since the Russians arrived and basically took his position in the story he's been nothing more than a third wheel to the plot anyway. He literally has no more point to existing.

Zolem

Jul 28, 2008
Huh, Roger was the only one I wanted to die. I was all WTF with Beth at first as she had easily the lowest votes. I thought it would be like 'yeah, we reversed the vote count just to mess with you', but now at the end where she's still alive I think she'll pull through with like a hospital or something. It was a big, dark fake out. Also, they might have already made all the models and such thinking we'd vote the girl out instead of the annoying ubergeek that gives us all a bad name.

death13245

Jun 21, 2008
What Wopwopwop said.

Also remember it's the month of halloween, the month of horror and death. I see how people don't like the episode and such but there is clues as to why these ones died and such, just look away from the horror and notice the little things.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
I always watched GameDogs thinking of it as a lighthearted gaming show heavy on dog puns. Granted, it was hardly the best the Escapist has to offer, but it was good for a snicker every once in a while. At best it was hilarious (Knives-R-Us or Mr Yee for example), and at worst dull.

This episode was just...disgusting. o_O I mean, I'm not one opposed to violence, heck, quite a few of my games involve some form of decapitation. But in the context of GameDogs it was just utterly disgusting. Yes, Bugs Bunny involves a certain degree of violence that most are willing to laugh at (Guns, hammers, etc) but you'd be stupid to think that means having Bugs flayed in a slow bloody fashion would go over well with the audience. I mean, I can't speak for everyone, but I found this episode absolutely horrid.

I don't want to sound too dramatic, but with this 'new low' I think I'll avoid the series from now on. It's clearly not what I took it to be. >.>;

On a vaguely related note. In all the episodes I've watched and comments I've read over, there are always countless people viewing the episodes just to complain (Not constructively mind you) and chant for the death of the series. Not just isolated comments either, they keep coming back to do the same thing. That's all well and good, but I assume by ranking up the amounts of views and comments GameDogs gets you're only helping keep it afloat. o_O
Which actually may explain this episode. xD

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
They're all pubclub sizes, but if you're really desperate for an avatar of a dead Furry then I can try get them to fit under the normal sizes.

Xtroni

Feb 20, 2010
Fenra said:
So this is the result of your poor attempt at publicity? I was facepalming enough when you announced an on site game to kill off a character but this is how you do it?... really?! no comedy escalator fall or something? just straight in with the blood and violence... inspired! *sigh*

This was just dark, disturbing and unfunny, really guys, think long and hard about what you did and honestly if crap like this is your result at trying to get an already teetering on the edge series some more popularity? (been unpopular with a lot of people for a long time now, no amount of cheap tricks will change that) then its time to put this dog to sleep for good

I'll just leave this here before I continue ranting...
Martin Clarke said:
Erana said:
That crossed the line waaaaay to far.
I've been trying to support this for the sake of the 'Scapist, and it did have its moments (Namely Swords R Us) but this is... was just downright sick. Its one thing to have excessive gore (which itself is unappealing to me) but its another thing entirely to beat and mutilate an innocent character, especially after so much time is spent characterizing them and trying to make the audience empathize with them.
Its downright sadism, and it has no place in comedy. It rarely even has a place in media as a whole!
OK, so the movie Dogville could do it right, but Game Dogs? No. Just No.
This.

Worst video ever to darken The Escapist, not amusing in the slightest. The sole source of amusement to be derived from that utter drivel would be that of controversy "omg they didn't do that?!"; cheap, stupid and lazy humour. Video's of this sort have no place on The Escapist's line-up and I doubt I am the only one who thinks so.
This. Seriously killing a character off is one thing but this is just bad. I seriously thought that the makers of these series was better than this. Totally dissapointed.

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
George Palmer said:

While we're about listening - this episode somehow reminded me of South Park's The Return of Chef. In particular, I found Beth's death rattle to sound like voiced by someone different than Beth's VA.

"Why don't you just kill me?" in the last episode was meant to be a foreshadowing, but in which way?

I wouldn't be surprised if Beth's VA would have asked the same question during a meeting or something. Perhaps we're seeing the consequence of some IRL drama on the gamedogs team, where the boss cynically responded "That's a great idea miss !" and proceeded to kill her character off in a very "Take that!" kind of way.

But knowing that you, mr. Palmer, take great pleasure in seeing viewers trying to solve this silly little puzzle, I'll just deny you that and stay silent about the rest of my theories.

On an unrelated note, I think the bravest thing the GameDogs team could do right now is retcon Beth's and Ched's deaths. Not only wouldn't that bring back the closet furries that didn't get any sleep this thursday, but it would also alienate everybody else - from the die-hard veterans who won't as much as get uncomfortable while watching the Dagestan Massacre and don't mind the violence, through the adolescent sociopaths who enjoy sticking needles into small animals and then applying low voltage over it, and ending with the people who.. you get the idea.

Note that brave doesn't always equal smart. It usually doesn't.

Unless the idea is to kill the show for good, which would be a waste now that it's getting interesting.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
ultimateownage said:
They're all pubclub sizes, but if you're really desperate for an avatar of a dead Furry then I can try get them to fit under the normal sizes.
If you could scale that Bethany one down you would be a living god.

Static jpegs dont quite have the same effect.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Nmil-ek said:
ultimateownage said:
If you could scale that Bethany one down you would be a living god.

Static jpegs dont quite have the same effect.

How's that? That's the most detailed I could make it and fit it under the file size limit.

El Gostro

Aug 25, 2009
ultimateownage said:

How's that? That's the most detailed I could make it and fit it under the file size limit.
That one's awesome!

Post comment:
I went back to the start of season 2 and could actually attempt tolerate the furriness of the thing after it started going more Apocalypse Lane Gonzo style