Game franchises where you like less popular entry the best?

Retsam19

Dec 6, 2010
I absolutely loved the Mega Man Battle Network series, (and to a lesser extent, I enjoyed the Star Force series) but I just don't care about the original Mega Man games.

Sing said:
<..>

Final Fantasy X. Yeah, I said it.
I loved the setting, I loved the characters and I loved the story. I didn't even hate Tidus. Music was great, whole game felt like an epic journey. Also, turn-based battles was still a thing in JRPGs.
Yeah, I was thinking about saying this, but I'm not even sure it counts. It's not unpopular; it's just polarizing. My experience is that you either really like it, or you really don't like it, and there's not much between. The critics tend to be loud (they almost always are; it's much easier to post a video in which you hilariously nitpick something you don't like - Spoony, I'm looknig at you - than it is to defend something), but I think of people I've actually talked to who played the game more liked it than disliked it.

JangoF76

Oct 10, 2013
Out of the Prince of Persia games, Warrior Within is my favourite. I loved the darker grittier atmosphere and the pissed-off prince. The music was awesome - love that they used a Godsmack tune for the Dahaka chase sequences. The combat was hugely improved over SOT. And the game was satisfyingly long with lots of cool environments. Plus, special weapons, alternate endings, becoming the sand wraith - all good.
But all I ever seem to read is people bitching because it wasn't a carbon copy of SOT.
Oh yeah, just thought of another one - of the Dirt games, 3 is my favourite. Yes, I liked the gymkhana sections!

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Extra-Ordinary said:
ODST is my favorite Halo game.

I know a lot of people don't like it, I understand why as well, but I like it because I think it's the most unique.
A quasi-open-world Halo game with audio logs that had a very light stealth element. And when they said you're not as strong as the chief, they meant it and it really shows.
I don't know, I find it really good is all.
Holy crap, you deserve a cookie for this.

Bungie tried something new with ODST and that makes it awesome, you are not a Spartan and you have to scavenge your weapons instead of finding them around every corner and even then, while you play as the Rookie engaging in battles isn't always the best option.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

Yes, I know KotOR I's production values are higher, its ending is better, and it's regarded as one of the two greatest games Bioware has ever made...but it's just not as interesting.

KotOR II set the bar impossibly high in terms of having characters you can really bond with. No game before or since gave me the same sense of who my party members really were. The story is also much more intriguing; it trots out the same kind of "find the plot coupons, save the galaxy" plot as its predecessor, but when you actually finish this quest the story turns everything on its head. It's a hell of a twist, and for the sake of anyone who hasn't played it yet (shame on you!) I won't talk about it further. Suffice to say, the game becomes a deconstruction of the western RPG protagonist, the Force, and Star Wars in general.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Zelda - The Windwaker is better than Twilight Princess. Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina of Time.

Assassin's Creed - Revelations was the best of the three Ezio games. The turkish aesthetic was my favorite in the whole series; the hookblade/zipline gameplay was SO much fun; the story was more understated and mature, dealing with themes of making peace with one's past and accepting that one is just a small part of a bigger picture; the way that the overarching plot was worked into the multiplayer was excellent. (The tower defense mini-game can bugger off though.)

Final Fantasy - FFIX is severely overlooked and a much better game than FFVIII.

Call of Duty - CoD4 is an amazing game, one of the greatest games of this generation. It's so unfortunate that CoD's single-player legacy has now become one of schizophrenic, overblown, too-short campaigns.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I like Megaman Legends and 7&8 better than the...errr is is 8 or 16 bit? ones.

I kind of like ZOE 1 more than two.

I don't know if this one counts, but I like the original Bioshock way more than Infinite, but I don't know most people's opinions on that.

I like PoP Warrior Within the most, and I believe to most people, it was the weakest in the series. For me it's WW > TT > SoT.

I keep trying to think of PS2 trilogies and I keep coming up with the opinion that I like them all equally. Like Sly and Ratchet.

I definitely like TSFP better than 2, so that's not in the minority...damn this is hard :/

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
If i'm not mistaken a lot of people prefer Fallout new Vegas over Fallout 3 which i liked a lot more, truth be told i didn't even finish Vegas once, i tried multiple times, even came close to the end the second time, but then i was busy for a while and lost all interest. The main reason would be the story, i didn't find that revenge plot all that appealing and the overall atmosphere of the game had a lot to do with it. Besides FO3 had already won me over once i found 'Republic of Dave'.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
FFIX it's not very well known as it came out about a year before FFX. AND MARIO SUNSHINE, it's the only mario game that i have ever enjoyed.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
thehorror2 said:
Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

Yes, I know KotOR I's production values are higher, its ending is better, and it's regarded as one of the two greatest games Bioware has ever made...but it's just not as interesting.

KotOR II set the bar impossibly high in terms of having characters you can really bond with. No game before or since gave me the same sense of who my party members really were. The story is also much more intriguing; it trots out the same kind of "find the plot coupons, save the galaxy" plot as its predecessor, but when you actually finish this quest the story turns everything on its head. It's a hell of a twist, and for the sake of anyone who hasn't played it yet (shame on you!) I won't talk about it further. Suffice to say, the game becomes a deconstruction of the western RPG protagonist, the Force, and Star Wars in general.
I agree on this. Most people hate the Peragus Mining Station, but the atmosphere it set up was just fantastic. Full of mystery and danger. You wake up, have no idea what happened besides some kind of foul play, it's almost entirely deserted, and it's really fishy. Although I didn't think the twist was all that great if you're talking about
Kriea being Darth Traya. Saw that she was evil from a mile away.
But I don't remember much of the end besides that. I got the mod for the robot factory and did everything right, but never got there, then I ran into a bug that wouldn't let me progress, and I didn't feel like starting over anyway. So I only finished it...I wanna say once, way back when. But I played the first half a lot.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
I always feel World at War was the best Call of Duty at drawing a solid atmosphere even if the plot jumped around time a bit.

And Gary Oldman does one marvelous job as a Russian.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Metroid... that's right, I loved Other M.
And in less controversial news, Super Mario Sunshine. I thought it easily beat 64 and I enjoy its open world hub map over Galaxy's lack of one.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Mario 2 EU.

Yep, the one with no time and blocks and random shit.

/thread over

(Talking only about the Old 2d platformers only, mario 64+ and spinoffs are not factored in- Only original mario, mario 3 and SMW).

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
This is a great thread because you go through looking at peoples responses thinking "oh man that's terrible", but then that's the whole point :p.

My favorite Prince of Persia game is Warrior Within, i like all the games alot but moody Prince, sexy Kaileena, faster acrobatic combat and epic rock soundtrack really make it stand out from the others to me. I consider the unstoppable Dahaka to be the best enemy in the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8eAnEAWt0

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I liked Half-Life and it's expansions more than I liked Half-Life 2 and it's episodes. There's definitely a nostalgia component to it, but honestly, I just like the scenario of the first game and generally find it more interesting.

Of the Call of Duty titles, my favorite to date is Modern Warfare 2. Even with its ridiculous amount of air support, I still found the multiplayer and the maps to be more fun than any of the others. I want to like the Treyarch entries, but I found the feel of the controls in the two Black Ops titles to be garbage. If I could get the customization options of the Black Ops games with the general gameplay feel of the Modern Warfare games, that would probably be my favorite in the series.

I admit that Doom III is my favorite entry in that particular franchise. I never quite understood the crazy amount of hatred that it receives.

Though I liked Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, I still think Fallout 2 and Fallout: Tactics are my favorite games in the series. Fallout: Tactics in particular seems to get kind of a lot of hate, but I can't help but love it. I love squad-based strategy games like Jagged Alliance 2 and the more recent XCOM: Enemy Unknown, so a reasonably polished squad-based game with the trappings of a Fallout title are more than welcome by me.

There's probably some others too, but that's all I can think of for now.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
In regards to all the Zelda responses,

I don't think any of them are really valid. Fan response has changed a lot over the years and titles that the mainstream gaming press openly praises such as Ocarina of Time and A Link to The Past are no where near as popular as Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. In fact, I'd say that Majoria's Mask is the MOST popular entry in the series although its hard to read as its always changing. Personally, my favorites are Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time - an opinion which used to be the norm but is now only possessed by a seemingly small minority of Zelda fans.

As for myself, I have to say that I think Double Dash is the best Mario Kart game. The dual drivers system added a fairly simple elements of strategy that made the game way more entertaining and addictive as a result. Likewise, I don't think Melee is the best Smash Bros game. My favorite is Brawl as I feel its the most complete and ambitious in the series to date along with having my personal favorite character Lucas.

While Sands of Time is my favorite, I think Prince of Persia (2008) is the next best game in the series. It had such an enchanting atmosphere to it and was really a unique take on the then tired Prince of Persia formula and aesthetic.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Mass effect 2 and 3

Personally I enjoyed both more than the first thought for different reasons.
Mass Effect 2 for the focus on the squad mates and dialogues and Mass Effect 3 for combat and enemies.

Super Mario Sunshine

I thought the squirt gun machine game play was genius.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
shapaza said:
I like Mass Effect 2 the best even though most people I know think the first one is the best. Yes, I agree it contributed fuck all to the overarching plot. Yes, the gameplay was simplified compared to ME1 (though I don't think that's all bad). But, I think it had the most interesting cast of characters out of all the ME games. Plus, I found it hard to be immersed in ME1 when I had to access the god-awful inventory screen and when I had to drive the Mako across the 100th slightly-different-colored, jagged mountain range just to progress the game.
On a related note, the Suicide Mission is probably one of my favorite final missions in a video game. It's just paced so perfectly.
I would prefer simplified to unintuitive. I mean seriously the combat in ME1 just didn't work.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Hmm... I agree with a lot of people here!

X is my favorite Final Fantasy. Granted, there really hasn't been one I thoroughly dislike, but X was the game that got me into the franchise when I was a wee lad. IX is another favorite, and I really enjoyed XII as well.

Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda, again because I wasn't really into Zelda until this came out and it blew my frigging mind. Now that Zelda is one of my favorite game series, I still love Twilight Princess' art direction and think it has some of the best dungeons in the series (Arbiter's Grounds FTW).

I really enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. I thought the mission structure was really fun and ideal for a portable title, and it's the only game in the series I beat on Proud. I wouldn't put it above KH2 (can't wait for that HD collection!), but I did have fun with it.

And last but not least, Chrono Cross is one of the most beautiful, imaginative games I've ever played. It hails from a time of creative and wonderful RPGs, and I love how it's story serves as the perfect counter to Chrono Trigger's, and how it still leaves several mysteries open at the end for the player to interpret.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Zhukov said:
Well, I like Mass Effect 3 at least as much as ME2 and I like them both a whole lot more than ME1.
Same here, but i also greatly prefer Dragon Age 2 to Origins.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Hitman absolution was really good. The gameplay is so much more fluid and dynamic

Granted its not as unforgiving (yes ive used a double negative, please dont shoot me). I really enjoyed the previous hitmans but somehow absolution added so much more diversity and fluidity to gameplay