Game Gear Titles Headed To 3DS eShop

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Game Gear Titles Headed To 3DS eShop

Turns out Nintendo wasn't lying: The 3DS will feature downloadable games from classic non-Nintendo gaming systems.

At least, that's the conclusion to be drawn from a recent ESRB listing that includes Game Gear classics Shinobi and Sonic Triple Trouble. Both titles are rated "E for Everyone," and both are listed as available for "Game Gear, Nintendo 3DS." Barring baffling Nintendo shenanigans, this means the 3DS' eShop (like the Wii's Virtual Console service) is about to start hosting titles from Sega hardware.

What the ESRB listing doesn't mention however, is when these titles might appear, or if the Game Gear is the sole non-Nintendo console that we can expect to see on the handheld. The Wii Virtual Console eventually featured games from the Neo Geo and TurboGrafx-16 as well as Sega's myriad hardware iterations, so it would make sense to see similar offerings on the 3DS, but this is a Nintendo initiative, so who knows?

At best we can keep our fingers crossed, hoping against hope for some sweet, portable Air Zonk action. So, y'know, basically just keep doing what you've been doing.

Source: Tiny Cartridge [http://tinycartridge.com/post/16869789565/game-gear-games-rated-for-3ds]

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I had a Game Gear growing up, though I didn't actually have many games for it (I remember having one of the Sonic games, an X-Men game, and...Primal Rage?). I'm not sure how good the library for the thing was. I hope they get the Genesis library as well, though. I'd love to be able to download Shadowrun for a handheld.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
DustyDrB said:
I had a Game Gear growing up, though I didn't actually have many games for it (I remember having one of the Sonic games, an X-Men game, and...Primal Rage?). I'm not sure how good the library for the thing was. I hope they get the Genesis library as well, though. I'd love to be able to download Shadowrun for a handheld.
I wish they would get the Genesis library too, I would like nothing more than to play Shining Force II on a handheld =D

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
DustyDrB said:
You didn't have a childhood if you didn't have Cool Spot on Game Gear.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Who the heck is that purple guy? Man, you MUST be a small timer if you have no presence among SONIC'S cast.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Micalas said:
DustyDrB said:
Was that the 7Up game? I think a friend of mine had it for his NES back then.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
DustyDrB said:
Micalas said:
DustyDrB said:
Was that the 7Up game? I think a friend of mine had it for his NES back then.
Yup. Probably the only time a product tie-in game was worth a squirt of piss. It was fun.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Never owned a Game Gear...so I actually don't know what I've missed.
Still, this can only help the currently abysmal title lineup on the 3DS.

Halfstache

Feb 3, 2012
Rect Pola said:
Who the heck is that purple guy? Man, you MUST be a small timer if you have no presence among SONIC'S cast.
Kids these days, not knowing who Nack the Weasel is...

Arcadian Legend

Blame your fate!
Jan 9, 2012
I remember Nack. He goes by a different name too but I forget what. I bought and read all the Sonic the Comics when I was a kid. He was a pretty prominent character.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
The Wii Virtual Console hasn't seen a new game since August of last year. Why would anyone put faith in Nintendo doing right by the 3DS Virtual Console? Anyway, have they worked out the problem where all your purchases are tied to the console and just the console?