Game History Museum Opens Tomorrow

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Game History Museum Opens Tomorrow

The National Center for the History of Electronic Games, a museum which collects and preserves games and game-related objects, will open its doors tomorrow in Rochester, New York.

Strong National Museum of Play [http://www.ncheg.org/index.html], and will serve as the home of one of the country's largest collections of items from the history of electronic games: 15,000 objects in total, including 10,000 games from every system since the granddaddy of them all, the Magnavox Odyssey.

In addition to games, game systems, and toys, the Center also collects game-related objects and materials, meaning advertisements, magazines, game boxes, even "personal and business papers" and "other associated artifacts and documents that represent or illustrate the impact of electronic games on American life."

Sounds like a really cool garage sale, doesn't it? Well, the staff of the Center would like to think it's a bit more than that. "Electronic games are a rapidly evolving new form of play," they write. "They are having a profound effect not only on how Americans play, but also on how they learn and how they connect to each other. Therefore, the [Strong museum] must explore and interpret the cultural history of electronic games and help ensure that they and related material are collected and preserved for future generations. The National Center for the History of Electronic Games is the museum's mechanism for accomplishing this."

In addition to housing the collection, the Center is currently preparing a large-scale interactive exhibit for 2012 tentatively titled The Revolutionary World of Electronic Play. Better get on that one fast guys, this "world of electronic play" moves pretty quickly. In the meantime, the Center will play host to an exhibit called Videotopia that examines the history of arcade games from the earliest machines to the most recent.

So, that's nice that these guys have put together a huge collection of games, but the real question is: can we play them? The answer's yes and no - researchers will get complete access to the Center's collection, while a good number of the games (but not all of them) will be available to the public to play when they come to visit.

The Center opens tomorrow and is located in Rochester, New York, so if you're in the neighborhood, drop by and get a taste of gaming history.

[Via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22774]]

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
Ah ha, I wonder how many walls are dedicated to Nintendo?

This seems cool. Wish I lived reasonably closer to this. I'd be nice to spend an afternoon playing video games in a museum. ;D

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Huh. Well, it might be a little soon, but it's something to look forward to visiting.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
*Books flight to New York*

All we get in England is the National Film and Television Museum, which actually managed to be quite dull. I could spend all day every day at a gaming museum, hell I could even work there with the mass amount of knowledge that I have accummulated about gaming.

Plauged1

Mar 6, 2009
I need to pay that place a visit. Who else thinks that Fox and every other ignorant news crew will be there spreading their "knowledge" of games? Imagine them being there already... =(

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Shouldn't we wait another 100 years for a "gaming" museum?
No, by then most of the stuff they'd want to exhibit would be lost forever.

nova18 said:
*Books flight to New York*

All we get in England is the National Film and Television Museum, which actually managed to be quite dull. I could spend all day every day at a gaming museum, hell I could even work there with the mass amount of knowledge that I have accummulated about gaming.
I have the sneaking suspicion that a museum could manage to make even videogames seem dull.

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
snuffler said:
"The Menagerie is for guests only" springs to mind...
Ah, a Karazan quote, eh? I'm going to have to give you +1 rep for that one.

Back on topic, this is a milestone in gaming history, as the moment we get a real museum that isn't one of those exotic roadside ones is the moment gaming is officially recognized as an Art form, with all of the immunities that confers. Unfortunately, I live all the way in Denver, Colorado, and am not actually going anywhere for spring break, so I guess I will have to wait until next vacation. :(

BillBarilko

May 6, 2008
Dectilon said:
Hey, I have one of those "calculators"! Or had anyway...
Ah, the Little Professor... man, that really takes me back. I too had one of those "calculators". In spite of the warm feelings of nostalgia the accompanying image invokes, I think an old-school handheld game like, say, Merlin [http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Coleco/EQB.htm] would have been more appropriate for an article about a gaming museum. I don't remember the Little Professor as a game.