Game of the Half Year 2013

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
None of this will matter once GTA V is released though. Deep down you all know it.
Unless it's like GTA IV.

OT: Metro or The Last of Us, off of the top of my head. Although I'm reluctant to give it to TLoU because it doesn't deserve all the wank it's getting, even though it is very good.

Elemental

Apr 4, 2009
Ughh.... Either Revengence or The Last of Us
I'm having a VERY hard time deciding lol

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
piinyouri said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Izanagi009 said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Hoping for Borderlands 2. Solely so they release a GOTY/Ultimate edition with all the DLC already included so I can buy it (I dun wanna buy all ze DLC sep'rat, 's 'spensive).
That is actually a legitimate reason to wait for the GOTY edition. Hopefully, they include the creature slaughter dome, mechromancer, and psycho dlcs as well as the story ones.

By the way, have you played Zero and if so, which build would be best: sniping/cunning or cunning/bloodshed
I've never played the game so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, I don't give a shit about optimum builds.

Ever.
Good man/woman.

I get far more enjoyment out of it this way as well. I have a bunch of sub-optimum builds that are crazy fun.
A word of warning, you will almost assuredly not make it to the final play through with anything but a super optimized build. You'll have to throw out all uniqueness a character may have and farm certain weapons and equipment for just about everyone who goes into said play through.
What do you mean by 'final playthrough'? The final mission? New game plus?

If the latter, I will only be engaging in this if it adds anything to the story. If the former, then I'll have long since made up my mind as to whether or not I'll be finishing the game or not so it's irrelevant. I'll also be doing it my way.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Amethyst Wind said:
piinyouri said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Izanagi009 said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Hoping for Borderlands 2. Solely so they release a GOTY/Ultimate edition with all the DLC already included so I can buy it (I dun wanna buy all ze DLC sep'rat, 's 'spensive).
That is actually a legitimate reason to wait for the GOTY edition. Hopefully, they include the creature slaughter dome, mechromancer, and psycho dlcs as well as the story ones.

By the way, have you played Zero and if so, which build would be best: sniping/cunning or cunning/bloodshed

Ever.
Good man/woman.

I get far more enjoyment out of it this way as well. I have a bunch of sub-optimum builds that are crazy fun.
A word of warning, you will almost assuredly not make it to the final play through with anything but a super optimized build. You'll have to throw out all uniqueness a character may have and farm certain weapons and equipment for just about everyone who goes into said play through.

If the latter, I will only be engaging in this if it adds anything to the story. If the former, then I'll have long since made up my mind as to whether or not I'll be finishing the game or not so it's irrelevant. I'll also be doing it my way.
The game has a New Game + of sorts, where you start over with all your stuff, levels and such. Enemies gain new behaviors, methods of attack and patterns.
First new game + adds this, while the third one just takes the old enemies and bumps their numbers up to such levels that anything other than optimum is going to get chewed up to the point where you feel like you're playing an MMO by yourself.

I wish you the most sincerest of luck.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
My top placements would be Biohsock: Infinite and The Last of Us, with Metro: Last Light in close pursuit. Great games, it would be terrible to miss out on any of them. If I were to pick though, and this is an EXTREMELY tough choice, I'd go with Bioshock: Infinite. I'm a huge fanboy of that game though, if you've seen me around threads revolving around the game, so my opinion is leaning a bit towards that.

But seriously, play all 3. I wouldn't want to miss out on any now that I've played them.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
1. Bioshock Infinite
A great game that made me discuss the ending with all kinds of people, wich by itself is the sign of a genre classic

2. Monaco
Pure multiplayer joy (singleplayer is okay too). At times incredibly hard, but always fun, even if you suck at it (perhaps especially then)

3. Tomb Raider
Despite a somewhat uneven atmosphere, the game delivered pretty much everything i hoped for, with a cool setting, tight gameplay and incredible setpiece moments.

4. Rogue Legacy
Castlevania meets Infinity Blade, both get crazy drunk and produce this little rougelike with charming wit, simple but involving and evolving gameplay and a sense of constant progression that makes it more addictive then most offerings of your local shady back-alley vendor.
TL;DR: DO/DON'T PLAY IT, ITS ADDICTIVE AS F**K

5. DmC
Even if it lacks the crazy and the unique gameplay mechanic of MGR:Revengeance, it's the far Superior Hack and Slash Action Game this year with great graphics and design, great gameplay and an...well, alright story i guess. Very unfairly shunned by hardcore fans of Devil May Cry.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I count Remember Me, for all its issues, as my favourite game of the year at this juncture, with Papers Please as a close second. I did also quite like Tomb Raider, but found dontnod's game tighter, and decidedly less bloated.

BioShock Infinite, meanwhile, is found at the very bottom of the pile as the worst title I have played thus far. Mediocre, morally suspect, faux-intellectual nonsense.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
None of this will matter once GTA V is released though. Deep down you all know it.
Actually that would depend on whether everybody's done jerking off over The Last of Us by then or not. Could be tossed aside as easily as Infinite was after TLoU's release, though.

Well the only new game I've played this year is BioShock Infinite (which, considering I spent a total of $170 between the Ultimate Songbird Edition and season pass, isn't too absurd), so it's kind of my favourite new game by default. Decent for what it was, but I was severely disappointed by it overall. I was expecting to have chosen something different; I wanted to choose the impossible. Instead I got...Columbia.

I'm really interested in getting Metro: Last Night, but that's probably not going to happen until this year is long over. Other than that, I can't find a shit to give about any of the other releases thus far (yes, including The Last of Us). I have been playing Persona 4 Golden for the first time, if that counts for anything, and it's pretty great, if not as amazing as Persona 3 in my rare opinion. :p

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Persona 4 Arena for me by far (it was only released here this year) it is close to me perfect fighting game character wise and it feels great to play also the presentation and the story and setup are done incredibly well.

I cant see anything else topping it this year for me, honourable mentions would be the new Tomb Raider and I suppose Bioshock Infinite although that didnt leave as much of an impression as the other 2. Havent played the last of us or metal gear rising revengeance yet so my game of the half year could change but I dont see anything outclassing P4A.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
piinyouri said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Izanagi009 said:
Amethyst Wind said:

Ever.
Good man/woman.

Yeah, I've been noticing that Borderlands 2 is starting to become more mathematical in terms of loot, skills, and team composition. It all feels like that there is a giant diagram of stats and components interconnected and in the web are both the quirky and the optimal

By the way, got any images of optimal builds for all classes, been trying to create them (note will not try to use anarchy or hellborn trees for mechromancer or psycho receptively, higher risk than reward in my analysis)

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Maximum Bert said:
Persona 4 Arena for me by far (it was only released here this year) it is close to me perfect fighting game character wise and it feels great to play also the presentation and the story and setup are done incredibly well.

I cant see anything else topping it this year for me, honourable mentions would be the new Tomb Raider and I suppose Bioshock Infinite although that didnt leave as much of an impression as the other 2. Havent played the last of us or metal gear rising revengeance yet so my game of the half year could change but I dont see anything outclassing P4A.
Good man, Persona 4,:The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena is a fun game with a story mode that actually ties into the larger mythos. As for what might beat it, in America it could be Watchdogs as it deals with a lot more current issues and seems to have interesting mechanics if Ubosoft pulls it off well. For fighters, let's just say that Blazblue Chronophantasma has already beaten Persona in the Arcades.

My GOTHY and GOTY would have to be Borderlands 2 for dlc and marketing reasons but for artistic merit, The Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Amethyst Wind said:
piinyouri said:
Amethyst Wind said:
Izanagi009 said:
Amethyst Wind said:

Ever.
Good man/woman.

Piinyouri is referring to Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode which accompanies a level increase to 61. This is the stage in which all weapons are going to be at max level and the variations are based on prefixes and the like. It also becomes a crushing and brutal experience i heard

Severian

Jun 13, 2013
Nothing can hang with The Last of Us. That is some seriously good gaming. Got to be an all time favorite. MP is pretty damned fun too.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Izanagi009 said:
Amethyst Wind said:

Piinyouri is referring to Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode which accompanies a level increase to 61. This is the stage in which all weapons are going to be at max level and the variations are based on prefixes and the like. It also becomes a crushing and brutal experience i heard
So then it adds nothing in terms of narrative, just a harder version of what I've already played through.

Therefore I am totally uninterested.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Izanagi009 said:
Good man, Persona 4,:The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena is a fun game with a story mode that actually ties into the larger mythos. As for what might beat it, in America it could be Watchdogs as it deals with a lot more current issues and seems to have interesting mechanics if Ubosoft pulls it off well. For fighters, let's just say that Blazblue Chronophantasma has already beaten Persona in the Arcades.

My GOTHY and GOTY would have to be Borderlands 2 for dlc and marketing reasons but for artistic merit, The Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite

Watchdogs wont beat it for me as I have no interest in that game and while I am looking forward to Chronophantasma I would be amazed if that topped it for me as well (or if I even see it this year as their timing of releases here are abyssmal). Presentation and Characters play a huge part in fighting games for me and Persona 4 has my second favourite cast of any game ever and being a fan of fighters you can see how much I was looking forward to that game also I love most of Persona 3s cast as well and Labrys is an excellent addition imo.

It will lose popularity its inevitable GG lost to BB lost to P4A will lose to BB will lose to GG etc its always the next big thing and thats good it keeps moving but I think P4A will stay on top for me just because I love the cast so much and the fighting system is very solid and fun to watch and play where with Blazblue I only really really like Makoto (who is one of my favourite fighting game characters) although I find the others ok or good but the story so far hasnt held me anywhere near as much as P4A which as you said actually has a great set-up to the fighting that makes sense and ties into the larger mythos as well as setting up the next game wonderfully.

Most of my favourite fighters are technically dead such as SF2 Turbo, Soul Calibur (original), Darkstalkers 3 and later I am sure P4A will join them but I will still play when I get chance.

Now take the premise of Persona 4 Arena and add the FFVII cast and a few tweaks and bam one of my dream games becomes reality but it will never happen. I am looking forward to the next guilty gear I really like that cast but I could never get on with the game maybe it will be different this time, Faust and Ino all the way.

Nice avatar by the way but Elizabeth and Shadow Labrys have the most baddass personas :)