Game of the Half Year

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
What do you think is the best game of the first half of 2012?

If the answer is Mass Effect 3, then what is the second best?

Dawnguard doesn't count, damn it.

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
So far this year has been kinda weak, not a lot of really big releases so far.

But if I had to choose I would have to go with Mass Effect 3, no other game is given me as much enjoyment so far this year

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Seeing how I live in America and Xenoblade Chronicles was just released this year here I'd go with that.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Personally, my game of the year right now is Squids Wild West. But seeing as how this is The Escapist, I'm gonna assume that iOS games are somehow disqualified.

Given the few games I've actually played this year, I would have to give it to PokePark 2: Wonders Beyond. It was fun, colorful, lasts a while. It's just a game that I enjoyed spending time with.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Mass Effect 3 of course.

As for the second best, I haven't bought any other games this year yet. This year's pretty empty when it comes to good games.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
ME3 and Journey.

I refuse to pick just one. They're both among the most enjoyable games I've ever played.

Apart from those it's been a rather meh kind of year so far.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Apart from Mass Effect 3...

This one actually surprised me. I really enjoyed Sonic 4 Episode II. I loved the levels, am now used to the physics, and while they differ from the original Mega Drive physics SEGA claim to emulate, it's still a much needed improvement over Episode I. I even found myself replaying it for all of the red star rings and chaos emeralds, as well as all of the achievements.

As far as I'm concerned, that little blue bastard is back!

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Wow I never noticed how dry this year's been. I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles or Devil Summoner 2 so I can even say I've played a new 2012 game besides my #1...

Diablo III.

Yeah.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
SoulCalibur 5, given how I bought two games released this year and that one wasn't a massive disappointment.

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
Soulcalibur V. Mainly because mindless beat-em's are funzy... They're also good at venting rage. That COM called Trell in quick match is an assclown, so I always kill him.

StylinBones

Mar 3, 2012
ME3. Only game I've wanted to play that's come out this year. I don't count Xenoblade as this year though.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Journey

Just...Journey. What else is there to say? The game is easily the most successful PSN game ever, despite how the odds were against it. It shouldn't have been this successful, but it is, and it makes me very happy. Good on you, gamers of today! Not to mention the game by itself is fantastic.

Sly 4 is my most anticipated game for the rest of the year, though it has a lot to beat with Journey.

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
Ranylyn's Personal top game of 2012 as of the end of Q2 2012.

Dragon's Dogma.

Calling it "monster hunter with a plot" isn't entirely accurate since the plot is overly simplistic to a fault. But that doesn't mean the game itself isn't fun. In an industry where people cry foul when a game actually tries to tell a story (which leads to many once great series being derailed into battle systems on 2 legs) the fact that gameplay as good as this managed to carry any semblance of plot at all and still be popular is almost a miracle.

Ranylyn's "oh god what I take offense to this" of 2012:

- Soul Calibur V

(As a fan of all the other games, even Legends for the Wii, the addition of a meter system alone freaking ruins it. Guard impact being restricted to meter makes it difficult to punish predictable spammers, and the series' atrocious blockstun almost literally means "he who blocks first loses" since you never get to fight back. A series about the quick bursts of battle being slowed by slower flashier moves shows just how messed up the industry's priorities are, and arbitrarily slashing most of the cast in favor of newer clones just to shrink the roster was pretty bad.)