Game of the Half Year

Oct 30, 2010
Mass Effect 3 wins by default. It's only competition: Skullgirls (which I haven't played enough) and MtG: Duels 2013 (fine, but not something anyone gets excited about either).

Can I count Wrath of the Lamb? I probably shouldn't, since I hadn't purchased BoI before WotL, so it would be double counting.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Filiecs said:
The Secret World
Yes, it's an MMO, but it's pretty damn incredible.
Really? I've been hearing it's pretty broke for what it's trying to do. But then, I should know better than to trust the voice of the disgruntled considering my vote is for Mass Effect 3.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
4173 said:
Can I count Wrath of the Lamb? I probably shouldn't, since I hadn't purchased BoI before WotL, so it would be double counting.
Well, I'll do it then.

"Wrath of the Lamb", the expansion to The Binding of Isaac.

Because cathedrals are awesome.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
Mass Effect 3 is the easy choice for me right now, looking forward to Assassin's Creed 3 though.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Gravity Rush. Gravity Rush, Gravity Rush, Gravity Rush.

It's perfection in a portable form.

The world is huge, the music is great, the combat is satisfying... just.. gah.

Trull

Nov 12, 2010
Poképark 2 was actually pretty darn good.

But, looking at this thread, ME3 takes the cake (even though I didn't really care for it)

Captcha: This is it. Heehee - Shamona!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Well, it's Mass Effect 3, so, second best... I actually haven't played any other games. Don't have a whole lot of money. Although the Sniper Elite V2 demo was nice I guess.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I...I don't think I've bought a game yet this year? Oh wait, Stacking, I bought Stacking...and I bought into a beta. I'm enjoying Tribes: Ascend, probably the only game released this year I've played a lot of. I've played a little DayZ but frustratingly I don't own the ARMA2 expansion that is needed (come on Steam sale). The free Wing Commander game that was finished a few months ago, Wing Commander Saga, is a spectacular space combat sim but the pick of them all is the Endless Space beta, MOOve over all other 4X games.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
The new walking dead game.

it has shown much promise in its first 2 episodes that it will continue to be a great series

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
Cheesepower5 said:
Wow I never noticed how dry this year's been. I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles or Devil Summoner 2 so I can even say I've played a new 2012 game besides my #1...

Diablo III.

Yeah.
I.......I agree.

I was against Diablo 3. SERIOUSLY against it. Eventually I decided that my internet was stable enough that I shouldn't have any problems playing it (that and I was bored; I haven't played any other new releases this year that are really noteworthy). I get the game, and the next day, my internet goes down. Basically, I had to wait a week for a new modem. When I FINALLY, started playing, I was surprised to find the game kicked all kinds of ass. It's a fantastic game, and without that DRM it could easily have been a GOTY contender.

And my ISP ended up accidentally sending me three new modems, so that's a plus.

jonothanster

Sep 22, 2011
Let's try:

Mass Effect 3
Legend of Grimrock
The Walking Dead Game (So far so good)
Max Payne 3
The Darkness 2

I'll even throw in Spec Ops: The Line just because it tried a little.

Let's face it- the only AAA games that are any good in the first half of a year are just the games that were delayed the year before.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Journey hands down the only thing that even comes close to touching it for me would be lone survivor but that really is the only other game this year I've enjoyed heaps

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I have a hard time saying Mass Effect 3 simply because I still am a bit butt hurt. Witcher 2 was released for consoles this year and that was pretty good.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Mass Effect 3, as much as I despise everything to do with the ending, I have to admit that the other 99% was pure unfiltered awesome. Also I didn't buy any other games this year so it kinda wins by default.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
For me, probably Pokemon Conquest. The game has only been out for a few weeks and I've sunk about 60 hours into it, I can't put the thing down.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Does an expansion count? Because the only thing that sprang immediately to my mind was Civ V Gods and Kings.

But then...I've been playing that a lot...recently...

Ooh! Journey! It was so...pretty... O__O *drools*

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Ranylyn said:
Ranylyn's Personal top game of 2012 as of the end of Q2 2012.

Dragon's Dogma.

Calling it "monster hunter with a plot" isn't entirely accurate since the plot is overly simplistic to a fault. But that doesn't mean the game itself isn't fun. In an industry where people cry foul when a game actually tries to tell a story (which leads to many once great series being derailed into battle systems on 2 legs) the fact that gameplay as good as this managed to carry any semblance of plot at all and still be popular is almost a miracle.

Ranylyn's "oh god what I take offense to this" of 2012:

- Soul Calibur V

(As a fan of all the other games, even Legends for the Wii, the addition of a meter system alone freaking ruins it. Guard impact being restricted to meter makes it difficult to punish predictable spammers, and the series' atrocious blockstun almost literally means "he who blocks first loses" since you never get to fight back. A series about the quick bursts of battle being slowed by slower flashier moves shows just how messed up the industry's priorities are, and arbitrarily slashing most of the cast in favor of newer clones just to shrink the roster was pretty bad.)
I second Dragons Dogma. People may dismiss it because it uses the standard fantasy setting, but you know what? There's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with using an often used setting if it's used well. And Dragon's Dogma uses it very very well. The spellcasters can cast huge flashy spells like summoning meteors or giant spikes of ice. The warriors can cleave through multiple enemies or run them through. The rouges can let loose tons of arrows and pull off some very flashy dagger combos. And of there's the giant monsters all of which can be scaled, and will actually thrash about and attack your party like a giant beast realistically would. Speaking of party your AI companions are actually competent and will save your ass on numerous occasions.

This is what an epic fantasy battle should look like.

Say what you will about Capcom or even if you didn't like the game they did one thing that should be praised. They have more or less rendered quick time events obsolete.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
I'd definitely have to say Journey. This is as close to perfect as any gaming experience I've ever had, and I'm pretty sure it more or less settles the "are games art?" argument. I mean, come on. You've played it. (Unless you haven't, in which case, dude, it's like fifteen bucks. You can spare fifteen bucks.)

And my honorable mention goes to Gravity Rush, the game that gave the Vita a reason to exist.