Game of the Year 2011

josephmatthew10

Jun 24, 2010
Assassin Xaero said:
This is the reason why I never cared much for GOTY awards popularity contests. Dragon Age 2, the sequel to the worst game I ever had to force myself to finish (which from play the demo and what I've heard, DA2 is even worse than DA:O) gets "honorable mention", while my three favorite games of the year (Rage, Duke Nukem Forever, and Bulletstorm) are no where on the list. Oh well, not like the awards make the games better or anything, I still get to have my fun with games that I actually enjoy.
So, you despised Dragon Age: Origins and your favorite games' list includes Duke Nukem Forever? Well I'm not sure any GotY Awards list is for you, really. Anyways, Portal 2 should have been in the nominees section. Instead being in the same category as Dead Island. Funny how THAT game was penalized for bugs, and yet...

Dec 3, 2011
Portal 2 was in my opinion the best game of the year, closely followed by Rayman Origins. Speaking of which, WHERE THE FUCK IS RAYMAN ORIGINS?!!

Dec 3, 2011
Motakikurushi said:
Aaaand no mention of Uncharted 3? That's quite astounding. Did anybody at the escapist apart from Yahtzee play this title? Did we just forget this game exists? I don't care if it doesn't grab the GOTY award from every website (Gametrailers already did that), and Skyrim is very good, but at the very least mention it. Give the game some credit. It's not even my GOTY, Rayman Origins is, for being the least predictable and surprisingly great title to come out this year.
I have all these nominated games, and yeah, it's great Bastion keeps getting nominated as best indie game, but I would like somebody to show some love to The Binding of Isaac as a potential runner-up. I have yet to stop playing that game.
Uncharted 3 had a very weak story, which brought the game down a lot for me. Although I totally agree with you on Rayman Origins - that game was brilliant.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
josephmatthew10 said:
Assassin Xaero said:
This is the reason why I never cared much for GOTY awards popularity contests. Dragon Age 2, the sequel to the worst game I ever had to force myself to finish (which from play the demo and what I've heard, DA2 is even worse than DA:O) gets "honorable mention", while my three favorite games of the year (Rage, Duke Nukem Forever, and Bulletstorm) are no where on the list. Oh well, not like the awards make the games better or anything, I still get to have my fun with games that I actually enjoy.
So, you despised Dragon Age: Origins and your favorite games' list includes Duke Nukem Forever? Well I'm not sure any GotY Awards list is for you, really. Anyways, Portal 2 should have been in the nominees section. Instead being in the same category as Dead Island. Funny how THAT game was penalized for bugs, and yet...
And yet again, someone quoting me who can't seem to read. I never said Duke Nuke Forever was one of my favorite games, I said it was one of my favorite games OF THE YEAR, which was a rather shitty year for gaming at that. And people keep acting like I said it was the greatest game ever. I can't even think of 5 games I really liked enough to play again (well, Red Faction Armageddon and possibly Dead Island in addition to the above mentioned games).

Dead Island may be a little buggy, but I'm really enjoying it. Portal 2 was a complete let-down in my opinion. It was decent and funny, but in terms of a puzzle game, then puzzles were never challenging. They were just about to get there, then it would switch to a new section and back to the super basics. Hmm... and now more people will come and spew some shit about how I'm brain damaged because I disliked yet another popular game. Can't really even think of a popular "good" game I liked last year (haven't tried Bastion yet).

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Dragon Age 2
the party members actually feel like real people but unique from each other.
You know, I'm happy that this thread [http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449674] exists. Because now I have something to link whenever someone says that DA2 had good characters, writing, or storytelling. Tragically, it was locked before its time and we will never get the chance to see the thrilling conclusion.
And what was that suppose to do, show me the way? Open my eyes to possibly see that Dragon Age 2 is in some way awful writing?

Yeah, no.

I did my part, I got though the first page of that thing, considering the first page was pretty long. I can safely describe the creator of that thread as a comedic-troll that creates nitpicking drivel. That was the worst attempt at comedy and game complaining/bashing I have ever read. It didn't even scratch or leave dust on my thoughts on how good the story and characters of DA2 are.

I mean seriously, that guy thought that saying that lines sounded like lines written by Joss Whedon was a diss. I would consider it a compliment, since Whedon created one of the greatest science fiction television series of all time, Firefly.

Reading that joke of a thread, it does open my eyes, but it opens them even more to the fact of the great troll-ness level that most DA2's detractors seem to have. Boiled down to it this is basically their thoughts on the matter:

The story and game doesn't go the way they want, so obviously it is universally bad, and everybody else that likes it and thinks it is good is wrong and factually wrong to the point that we must prove it to them constantly with a bunch of opinions that we believe as facts.

--

I graduated from college as a writer; it is what I do. And with that training, I find nothing inherently wrong with the DA2 story telling. There is no truly wrong way to tell a story, just varying degrees of proper and improper construction, and differing opinions on said story.

My opinion on the story is just that, my opinion. It is neither wrong nor right, it just is. Though I will briefly say that Dragon Age: Origins had some of the worst written party characters I have seen. The majority of them were cliche, and cliche in the same ways. They were closed off and broody and then once the player worked on them, they all opened up like pinatas and revealed their deepest darkest secrets and habits, and then the player worked at it and changes them all for the better. Bleck!! What dreck!

Blade_125

Sep 1, 2011
SilverUchiha said:
That was fuckin' predictable. I was really hoping you guys would surprise me on this one.
Damn it, why can't you guys go out on a limb and not pick something that every other person and critic thinks is the best game this year.

In all seriousness Skyrim is my #2 game for this year (after Arkham City), but three is a reason why so many people like this game, and I don't see the problem with someone picking a game that many other people say the same thing on. It could be it's a good game and everyone thinks so.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Sonic Doctor said:
Kahunaburger said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Dragon Age 2
the party members actually feel like real people but unique from each other.
You know, I'm happy that this thread [http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449674] exists. Because now I have something to link whenever someone says that DA2 had good characters, writing, or storytelling. Tragically, it was locked before its time and we will never get the chance to see the thrilling conclusion.
And what was that suppose to do, show me the way? Open my eyes to possibly see that Dragon Age 2 is in some way awful writing?

Yeah, no.

I did my part, I got though the first page of that thing, considering the first page was pretty long. I can safely describe the creator of that thread as a comedic-troll that creates nitpicking drivel. That was the worst attempt at comedy and game complaining/bashing I have ever read. It didn't even scratch or leave dust on my thoughts on how good the story and characters of DA2 are.

I mean seriously, that guy thought that saying that lines sounded like lines written by Joss Whedon was a diss. I would consider it a compliment, since Whedon created one of the greatest science fiction television series of all time, Firefly.

Reading that joke of a thread, it does open my eyes, but it opens them even more to the fact of the great troll-ness level that most DA2's detractors seem to have. Boiled down to it this is basically their thoughts on the matter:

The story and game doesn't go the way they want, so obviously it is universally bad, and everybody else that likes it and thinks it is good is wrong and factually wrong to the point that we must prove it to them constantly with a bunch of opinions that we believe as facts.

--

I graduated from college as a writer; it is what I do. And with that training, I find nothing inherently wrong with the DA2 story telling. There is no truly wrong way to tell a story, just varying degrees of proper and improper construction, and differing opinions on said story.

My opinion on the story is just that, my opinion. It is neither wrong nor right, it just is. Though I will briefly say that Dragon Age: Origins had some of the worst written party characters I have seen. The majority of them were cliche, and cliche in the same ways. They were closed off and broody and then once the player worked on them, they all opened up like pinatas and revealed their deepest darkest secrets and habits, and then the player worked at it and changes them all for the better. Bleck!! What dreck!
You gotta read the whole thing for the true experience, man.

(And it's interesting to me that while you have no issues finding the weaknesses in Bioware writing in DA:O, you have a harder time finding the exact same writing problems in DA2 - particularly because they are generally considered more glaring in that game.)

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
*looks thread over*

Ayep, every conceivable reaction has now been throughly represented. Everything from sunny approval right down to seething rage. The Game of the Year list has done its job once again. :)

Here's the thing, folks: critics are people, and people give out subjective opinions. Guess what; if you didn't agree with the list or some of the arguments made in it, good for you! Also, props to those who *did* find their five seconds of personal enjoyment out of finding their personal pick of the year nominated!

With that said, I'll try to avoid assumptions in voicing my little measly opinion. I'll repeat that, as it seems that people take things way too personally or have the attention span of gnats, but it still does bear repeating: You may not agree with me. We cool with that? Good.

1. Skyrim is awesome. Yes, it's bug-riddled and it's a damn shame that console users don't get to have the full breadth of the experience they paid for, but the successes of the game far outweigh its failures. The level of freedom, the scope of the world, the ability to truly sculpt the player character as you see fit - all of that's unmatched by any other RPG. Its nomination as the number one game of the year wasn't anything if not predictable, but it seems to me like it's well deserved. Just like Oblivion and Morrowind, Skyrim has an inordinately long shelf life awaiting it. This is one of those games, folks, that you'll crack open years from now, regardless of how far we'll have come in terms of graphics or storytelling.

2. DAII is... okay-ish. Origins pulled the rug from under my feet and delighted me with its return to a more retro form of role-playing, while its sequel feels designed from the ground up by a focus group that was concerned with somehow merging the original game's fanbase with Mass Effect's. Yes, it does awesome things as far as storytelling mechanics are concerned, but frankly, I never wanted or expected to find myself wandering the same city streets over and over. If they'd been done with the sort of attention of detail that Ubisoft displays with Assassin's Creed, then yeah, I would've appreciated it. As it is, though, Kirkwall is just... bland.

I think that's the word I'm looking for. I can feel the designers' passion right underneath the surface, and some of the characters are *almost* able to get a reaction out of me, but the game consistently plays it safe, instead. To me, it always felt like DAII came very, very close to being a worthy sequel to the original, only to fall back into tired genre conventions. As if being colorless and predictable would sell more.

3. Assassin's Creed Revelations wasn't nominated because of bad timing on Ubisoft's part and because it's starting to get comfortable. Like Ezio himself, the franchise has turned into a rather venerable and predictable series. These aren't bad things by any stretch of the imagination, but it's still starting to become clear that AC's formula is beginning to dry out. The only way they were able to renew it this time around was by adding the ability to reach higher ledges with the Hookblade (a rather small tweak) and by stapling a set of tower defense mechanics that feel more than a little alien to the core concept of the series.

As long as I didn't need to defend one of my Assassin Dens, the game was great. Whenever that popped up, however, I groaned and cried a little inside. I felt as though the game were asking me to bend over backwards to meet its requirements during these segments, instead of feeling empowered and free.

If AC keeps going like this, odds are Desmond's own entry into the series will be a little ho-hum. The charm will have worn off and the gameplay will have remained - but it'll feel like a reskinned Revelations at best. I can only hope for other fans of the series that they'll amp things up a little. How, exactly? I have no clue.

4. The same basic criticisms could be leveled at Uncharted 3. You're still one heck of a fun guy, Nate, but you're putting on weight. Slim up, find yourself new game design territories to, ahem, chart, and tighten up the whole experience. Two of the biggest set pieces in Uncharted 3 felt thoroughly disconnected and placed there if only to pad out the single-player experience, namely the shipyard and Rub al'Khali sequences.

Oh, and Nate? Pick more colorful enemies, please. No disrespect meant to Marlowe, but she wasn't as memorable as your gallery of rogues from the previous game.