Game Of The Year

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, I haven't played DA:O, AC2, or Uncharted 2 yet, so I'll have to say Borderlands.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Tie with Assassin's Creed 2 and Demon's Souls.

I haven't played Borderlands yet though, but I doubt it would beat Assassin's Creed.

Dr. Gorgenflex

May 10, 2009
bagodix said:
Dr. Gorgenflex said:
The year is almost over, and there have been many high profile releases. Out of the games that have come out so far, who do you think should win game of the year?
Saints Row 2, even though it was released last year. I can't remember any good games being released this year.
I didn't really like Saints Row 2 at all, I guess I like games a bit more linear.

Kirosilence

Nov 28, 2007
I need to wait for my hype to drop down a bit after finishing Batman, and Assassin's Creed 2, but I think either AC2, Dragon Age, Uncharted 2, maybe even Killzone 2. I havn't played Borderlands or MewTwo yet, so I don't have a set-in-stone opinion yet.

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
Borderlands, with Dragon Age close, but my vote is Borderlands. However MW2 is probably gonna win, at least for G4's game of the year thing.

Julianking93 said:
Tie with Assassin's Creed 2 and Demon's Souls.

I haven't played Borderlands yet though, but I doubt it would beat Assassin's Creed.
You have no idea how wrong you are.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
I don't really think anything's come out that really warrants a game of the year, so I'm kinda indifferent as to who wins.

Markgraf

Apr 1, 2009
Dragon Age; haven't been this sucked into a game since my WoW addiction and, before that, KotOR.

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
Hopefully they have an overall game of the year,and separate game of the years for different platforms,with the overall obviously being on at least one of them. MW2 can be GOTY for all I care, as long as it doesn't win in the PC category, like it shouldn't.

If i had to pick a PC winner though I'd choose L4D2, I play the shitty Australian version and I still think its awesome, that's gotta say something.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Borderlands isn't a very good game, let alone a GOTY contender.

AC2
Batman: AA
Uncharted 2
Dragon Age: Origins
And MW2 I guess, but I haven't played it.

Those would all be the front runners imo.

I lean toward Batman or AC2. DA:O for RPG.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
KhaineII said:
Jonesy911 said:
KhaineII said:
We know it's going to be MW2. It broke a crap load of records. Plus, large fanbase, regardless of upset boycotters.

It's inevitable, Mr. Anderson.

EDIT: Whoops. What I think should be GOTY. Hrm, it's a tie between DA:O and L4D2, because watching my friend play AC2, it looks like AC, but repackaged and with shinier graphics.
No you've got it all wrong, the games are completely different, the only thing they kept from the old game is the way you move around the city, even the assassinations are completely different.
Meh. It looked like jumping from roof to roof, stabbing some people in slightly different ways, and some twists on assassination missions.

It's still the same premise, just a little further down the timeline. Plus, the new Altair looks retarded. That cape is annoying. Plus armor and weapon repairs? Ugh, what a tedious add-on.

Oh, on the topic of weapons, swordplay looks like the same repetitive crap. Deflect, deflect, deflect, counter! Deflect, deflect, deflect, counter! So, yeah... not GOTY in my opinion.

Maybe a rental. They can't have my $60 CDN though, they got that for AC. I see this as an expansion pack really. So I'll pay my $8, do my playthrough, then bring it back.
You do bring up some points. For starters, I liked AC2 a lot, and I do think it is a contender for GOTY but I don't think it should win over Batmen: Arkham Asylum or Dragon Age.

I think that they improved the missions a ton and it wasn't repetitive. But they failed in the combat sector. They kept nearly every animation from AC1, and barely added any, there was two counter animations for each weapon. They could've done it a LOT better. Maybe they'll get it right for number 3.

I don't mind the repairs personally, I think maybe armor could have lasted a bit longer.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Ezio's look at all, I didn't get the cape at first, but then after a while I realized he wears it like that to cover all his weapons. I guess that's something they wanted to change from AC1, it didn't seem plausible that you couldn't be recognized in a group of Scholars even when you had a belt full of weapons and throwing knives strapped all over you. But generally I think his look was a vast improvement, especially since you can change to over a dozen color schemes.

There also could have been a LOT more Flying Machine missions and carriage driving missions. One of each for the whole game was pretty pathetic

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Modern Warfare 2 will take it I reckon. Then again there's loads of game of the year awards so different organisations will pick different ones.

Ocelot GT

Oct 29, 2009
Dragon Age Origins is the clear winner...

unless the masses of tweens vote with easiest goty.

TBR

Nov 23, 2009
Halfbrick Rocket Racer (XBL, d/l it everyone NOW)

Racing games are defined by both the challenge and reward part, as well as the effects this has on gameplay.

Many people will baulk at the inclusion of absolutely NO AI.

Some will baulk at the fact that it isn't anywhere near realistic with physics and sounds and whatever.

None of that matters; those elements are interchangeable bits, easily replaced without a single loss to gameplay.

But it's all just one big race against the clock. The level design and game mechanics (rocket-boosting off nearby walls) work wonderfully to create this almost perfectly smooth and fast game, not unlike Japanese Drifting competitions.

To that end, all the progression is time-achievement based; as are the 'rewards'. So, you will inevitably find yourself having earned the gold medal, easily passing the event, but chasing thousandth after thousandth of a second in search of the elusive but really useless Halfbrick time.

And if a racing game is fun and engaging enough to have you chasing that extra 0.001s (not even a whole hundredth, but mere thousandths of a second) for no logical reason, then it's achieved all a game could ever set out to do.

THEN, add to that multiplayer that makes SSBB boring (no, I'm not making this up or exaggerating, it's really that good), and you've got something that's downright brilliant. The defining racing game of this generation is not a Forza or a Need for Speed, it's something made by a handful of guys somewhere in Brisbane.

Of course, it isn't perfect. There is one rather suspect track (you'll know it when you race it), and you can't select the colour of your ship in MP (last I checked, anyway).

Beyond that, all the things that could possibly make it better are a track builder and sharing system, more multiplayer, and full availability on every system known to man.

If you haven't got it, I really recommend getting it ASAP. It's not expensive, but it's absolutely epic.

Runner-ups in my view would be Eufloria, for being a RTS game that you don't need a bachelor of economics to really enjoy to the fullest, Race On for being an expansion pack that's awesome (mostly the IFM, the yank tanks are letting the team down), and possibly something else if I can think of it.