Game of Thrones and StarCraft 2 Join For Opening Homage

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Game of Thrones and StarCraft 2 Join For Opening Homage

YouTube user Tolkfan has recreated Game of Thrones credits sequence with footage from StarCraft 2.

Outside of Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones' credit sequence is arguably the most clever part of the show. It presents Westeros, the walled off north, and the lands across the sea as gigantic game board that emerges and unfolds to some of the most stirring theme music since <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcJI87u3DoQ>Captain Planet. It conveys, without a word, both the scale and tone of the show; a story spanning continents and a conflict that many treat as a game rather than the life and death struggle it is. The point we're driving at here is that it's well done stuff.

Others, it seems, would agree. Fan and YouTube user Tolkfan recently took it upon themselves to recreate the show's credit sequence using footage from StarCraft 2. The resulting video is fairly impressive, matching the original version beat for beat in many places. According to Tolkfan, assembling the video took "about a week" and the footage was captured in StarCraft 2's cutscene editor. [The cutscene editor] allows me to capture/render Ultra quality footage at a constant framerate," <a href=http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/1f5pqx/game_of_thrones_intro_in_starcraft_2/ca72z6d>said Tolkfan. "With all the wide shots the cutscene has, it's impossible to maintain a decent and constant framerate when using the traditional way of recording (playing it inside SC2 and frapsing)."

Tolkfan isn't the first person to play with and recreate the Game of Thrones opening. In 2012, YouTube user bymatthewP WesterosCraft, a group dedicated to rebuilding the lands of Westeros in Minecraft, also used it as loose inspiration to <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X8Tyz8EpwkM>show off their work.

Source: <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZCjOc_gtUE>YouTube

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
That was pretty awesome. How many other games can we do this in because I want more of it.

Dat theme.

So good.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
StewShearer said:
Outside of Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones' credit sequence is arguably the most clever part of the show.
The opening credits is the most clever part of the show?! I know that this article is about the Starcraft homage, but starting it by politely insulting the show threw me off... ok, ok, I am fanboy, but still

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
Hah, I was wondering how the zerg would be included. Turns out they get to be the big scary wall ^^

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Triaed said:
StewShearer said:
Outside of Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones' credit sequence is arguably the most clever part of the show.
The opening credits is the most clever part of the show?! I know that this article is about the Starcraft homage, but starting it by politely insulting the show threw me off... ok, ok, I am fanboy, but still
Apologies if that came off as a slight. I personally love the books and the show. I just also find the opening sequence to be an exceptionally brilliant metaphor for the story overall.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
StewShearer said:
Triaed said:
StewShearer said:
Apologies if that came off as a slight. I personally love the books and the show. I just also find the opening sequence to be an exceptionally brilliant metaphor for the story overall.
Hehe, I am sure you did not mean it as that, it is a very smart story in the books and I think they did a great job at adapting it to television, it is very tough to do. I just think the credits are not the smartest part of it! :)

Sorry for derailing, I know this post is about the Starcraft video!

DVS BSTrD said:
Now if only they could have worked in some nudity as well.
Triaed said:
StewShearer said:
You don't like the opening sequence? It's only one of the best in television.
Oh, I love the opening credit sequence, but I do not believe it is the smartest part of the show. Stew already mentioned Tyrion, but there is a lot more going on.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
That... title card... Off center... *twitch*

OT: That was actually... really good! Glad they threw Xel-Naga references in, as only having three races to pan over would've made it pretty slow-paced.