Game of Thrones' Arya Stark "So Sick" of Book Readers Being Snobby

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Game of Thrones' Arya Stark "So Sick" of Book Readers Being Snobby

Maisie Williams, who plays Arya Stark in Game of Thrones, confirms that the cast know nothing when it comes to future events in the show, and opens up on how some book readers annoy her for feeling like they have a "claim" on the show for reading it first.

If you're a fan of HBO's Game of Thrones TV series, then chances are you have a friend (or two) that have read the books the show is based on. Not only that, but you probably have a friend who acts a bit annoying since he/she knows what's going to happen next and even give a point-by-point breakdown on why X scene is "wrong" since it's different from the books. Well, if you're annoyed at those people, you're not alone. Even Arya Stark herself is "sick" of these people who ruin it for everyone. Speaking to TV Line, Maisie Williams, who portrays Arya Stark in the hit show, speaks out on book snobs and how she likes it when the show deviates from the books so she can see book readers' reactions.

Bear in mind that Williams' answer is in response to a major scene missing in Season 4 that was in the books, which we won't spoil here.

That was a massive deal, but honestly, I really like it. I'm so sick of going on the internet and seeing all the book readers being snobby, spoiling it for other people, then saying, "Well, it's not a spoiler. The books have been out for years." Like, couldn't you just stop being mad for a second and let other people enjoy the show? They feel they have a claim on the series because they read the books first, and I understand that, but they don't need to be mean about it. That's why I liked moments like this, because book readers think they know what's coming, then we change it and it's really funny to watch their reactions. They're always like, "That's not what happened in the books, so the show's really bad now." But really, they just feel insecure because they're used to knowing what's coming next.

In the same interview, Williams confirms that cast members are left out in the dark when it comes to what's happening to show's plot, which is contrary to what most people think.

I haven't gotten the scripts yet, so I still don't know what's happening. I have a rough outline of what happens in the books, but you never know what they're going to put into this season versus next season, or what they're going to scrap altogether. I know a couple of really cool things happen in the books with Arya, and I just had a meeting about about a certain thing that happens to Arya, but I still don't know how it happens. And that's what it was like last year; I was learning fight scenes, even though I didn't know who I'd be fighting or why I'd be fighting them. People think the cast members know all the ins and outs, but we really don't.

In the latest Game of Thrones news, new Season 5 cast members have been announced during the show's TV panel at the San Diego Comic-Con [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136414-SDCC-2014-Season-5-New-Cast-Announced-for-Game-of-Thrones]. Odds on how long they'll live, though, haven't been divulged.

How do you deal with book readers who spoil the TV show's plot? If not them, then maybe those who act like anytime the show doesn't follow the book bit-by-bit is "wrong."

Source: TV Line [http://tvline.com/2014/07/29/game-of-thrones-season-5-arya-lady-stoneheart/]

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
See i just use it as a threat at work, since most of the people there watch it. I'm not sure but i may have the same level of power as some of the managers which is weird because they don't care about being fired but for the love of god don't spoil season 5

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*shrug*

She'd have a point if the changes weren't almost invariably for the worse.

For example, I've never seen anyone complain about Margaery Tyrell being given a bit more substance in the show because that was a change for the better. Sadly, that's about the only good change I can think of.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Well it won't be a future problem since?

A. The show is catching up to the books.
B. The show runners were rather interested to diverge a little from the books in the last season. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check the complaints about the season 4 finale.

Don't worry Maisie. I may be one of the book readers, but I accepted the idea that the show and the books are their own things.

Apr 17, 2009
As a book reader I try to avoid exactly what she's talking about. I have a friend who couldn't stop gushing at how awesome she thought the plot line with Oberyn was shaping up to be, so I adamantly refused to drop even an accidental hint of how that particular arc ended up. Why would I do that to someone?

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Always annoys me when people nitpick or complain about scenes being different or not being part of an adaptation. This reminds me of the Persona 4 anime when my friends were complaining about certain aspects being different than the game. People need to calm down and not get upset when things are different than the original material. If you don't like it, you still have the source material.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
I accepted the idea that the show and the books are their own things.
Thank you. I really don't understand why this is so hard for people to grasp. Same thing with the Lord of the Rings films and books - I appreciate both, but for entirely different reasons.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Well I see where she's coming from but the show wouldn't exist without the books so I dunno, deal with it?

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
It's one thing if people are complaining just because it is different. It's something else when they are complaining because it is worse, which is most often the case. All the book readers understand that liberties need to be taken to transition from one medium to another. The problem is that in almost any case where the showrunners have completely diverged from the source material and written their own stuff, it has been really bad.

It's no different than comparing a reboot to the original in the same medium. Look at Charlie and Chocolate Factory vs Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Charlie was actually closer to the books in a lot of ways, but most of the complaints were how Willy Wonka did this scene or that scene way better.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
I'm not sure what they're talking about, which major scene was missing in season 4?

Anyway, she'd have a point if every almost attempt of showrunners to depart from the original material wasn't complete and utter shit;/ I still get a facepalm reflex every time I think of "Dirk the miniboss".

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
008Zulu said:
Catelyn Stark is alive.
But that that reveal is not even close to the current show timeline.

She is revealed after Jaimie breaks the siege at Riverrun and dismisses the Frey in charge who has Robb's crown, a Brotherhood spy lets the band know and they ambush him on his way to the Twins.

In the show Jaimie is still in KL and the hasn't even been a mention of the siege or Blackfish, that I noticed at least.

They're still probably going to cut the character, it just couldn't have been in season 4 anyway. Without major rewriting at least.

Edit: Though, when I think about it a much better reveal would be later, perhaps in season 6 when

Brienne gets captured by the Brotherhood to be hanged and sees Cat sitting on a tree stump, cowled and all mutilated, staring blankly at Robb's crown she's holding on her knee. |

Drop a couple of mentions of someone taking out Freys in season 5 and then pull this. Damn that scene would have such an impact.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
The things that annoy teenage girls... Not something I'm going to start taking an interest in.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Zhukov said:
*shrug*

She'd have a point if the changes weren't almost invariably for the worse.

For example, I've never seen anyone complain about Margaery Tyrell being given a bit more substance in the show because that was a change for the better. Sadly, that's about the only good change I can think of.
I think actually the TV series has done pretty well in streamlining the books, which can frankly get a bit wooly. And I think quite a few of their changes were improvements

I'm too busy to spend ages on this right now, but here's two examples off the top of my head:

- Arya's journey through Harrenhall and her encounter with Jaqen H'Ghar was much better told in the TV series, it was all over the place in the books.
- Jon and Ygritte's story benefitted from being finished as part of the battle for the Wall, it was much more dramatically satisfying

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Didn't George say that other day that the books and shows are completely different entities now? So why does it matter?

It's basically also impossible not to be snobby when you've read 5000 pages of novel or whatever when show readers have just seen 40 hours of the show.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Well, she has a point. Elitism, entitlement, and spoilers are rampant on the internet and could do with stopping. Some people just can't get through a depressing story like game of thrones in the form of a thick novel. It's easier to just watch it unfold.

And it makes sense that the actors would learn the story as they go because that way they can act in the moment, like their character would.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
endtherapture said:
Didn't George say that other day that the books and shows are completely different entities now? So why does it matter?

It's basically also impossible not to be snobby when you've read 5000 pages of novel or whatever when show readers have just seen 40 hours of the show.
That makes no sense. I can read 5000 pages of novel in well under 40 hours. If anything, the show-watchers are MORE invested than the book-readers, so there's no reason at all to be snobby other than "lolfirst".

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
lacktheknack said:
endtherapture said:

That makes no sense. I can read 5000 pages of novel in well under 40 hours. If anything, the show-watchers are MORE invested than the book-readers, so there's no reason at all to be snobby other than "lolfirst".
Cool, you are a fast reader. For most people it takes a lot more effort to sit down and read a long, dense and complex novel in their off time than sitting down and getting an hours fed to you once a week for 10 weeks a year over the course of 4 years.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Zhukov said:
Sadly, that's about the only good change I can think of.
The Hound was a much more sympathetic character in the TV series.

Likewise, Tywin Lannister is a more complete character in the TV series and his conversations with Arya Stark were some of the best parts of that season.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
seditary said:
Well I see where she's coming from but the show wouldn't exist without the books so I dunno, deal with it?
This made me laugh - she is a teenager that has more money to her name than she probably knows what to do with. I can guarantee you that she is dealing with life just fine - going to go out on a limb and say she is dealing with it far better than you are. ;)