Game of Thrones Book Series May Extend to Eight Books - Update

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
RonHiler said:
Seracen said:
Pretty sure he addressed this. I believe he discussed at length with the show creators the major beats of future books. I also believe he has prepared notes for a ghost author, should one be required after he passes (much like Sanderson for Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series).
Nope. He's said many times that the series dies with him. He will not allow another author to finish it. Which is a total dick move, but it's his IP.

Now, I think you are correct in that D&D know some details on how it goes. So if nothing else, at least we will get the screen adaptation (if you adapt from a book that doesn't exist, is it still an adaptation?)
Also @ Tono Makt:

First, if he wishes the story to die with him, I see it as having less regard for his fans, but it's his prerogative. I can understand not wanting another artist to touch my work. However, if I'm facing death, I can understand a need to complete the darn thing.

Still, Ron has the right of it. In a Q&A (I'll have to find the YT link), GRRM said that it was a very real possibility, so he made sure to tell the show creators all the major plot beats. As such, even if the books never get made, the TV series should be able to finish the story. If this happens, I think it'll be an interesting reversal, as things don't usually pan out this way. Then again, anime create original deviations from the source manga all the time.

Furthermore, even if it goes down that way, I can see GRRM's estate eventually co-signing a book adaptation of the TV series. If no approval is given, it will likely go ahead under another publication. It's possible, like what is happening with the Marvel properties. Nor would it be the first time it happened to a book series. Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality" series begins under one publisher, and ends with another. Same characters, same continuity, same story...different publication.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Darkong said:
Dance with Dragons was so dull I'm not sure I can stomach another one. It seems to have fallen into the same problem that Wheel of Time did in that things are just getting dragged out mercilessly.
I'm about 2/3 through A Dance with Dragons and apart from a few small encounters NOTHING is happening. I took a small break after A Feast for Crows to savour it (So far my favourite instalment) and many of my friends were like "Why did you stop there? Book 5 is SO good!" Where exactly is this goodness? I'm going to assume in the last 3 chapters and the epilogue.

I'm starting to think that
Stannis' long slow march to Winterfell is a clever 4th wall metaphor for the reader

And if so....

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
This is pretty far from news. He's been saying that since ADWD was being announced. Though, if he manages to make two more books where most of the action is the establishment for action to come later while given brief visits from the excitement fairy, we might need another after that. While it's nice to have the world flushed out, it's pretty evident that the five year step forward he originally wanted managed to stick around as the "things mostly calm down while Varys and Little Finger put their various plans in motion against each other and everyone else who deigns to think they can control the realm" stretches of books 4 and 5. One of these days the battle of Meereen will actually happen, and Dany can push off that shore and go sack some more cities like TARGARYENS ARE SUPPOSED TO DO.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
FrozenCones said:
Darkong said:
Dance with Dragons was so dull I'm not sure I can stomach another one. It seems to have fallen into the same problem that Wheel of Time did in that things are just getting dragged out mercilessly.
I'm about 2/3 through A Dance with Dragons and apart from a few small encounters NOTHING is happening. I took a small break after A Feast for Crows to savour it (So far my favourite instalment) and many of my friends were like "Why did you stop there? Book 5 is SO good!" Where exactly is this goodness? I'm going to assume in the last 3 chapters and the epilogue.

Stannis' long slow march to Winterfell is a clever 4th wall metaphor for the reader

And if so....

There is a guide apparently out there on the internet that tells you what order to read the chapters of Feast of crows and dance of dragons in. They were suppose to be one book but Martin decided to split the books. It was a mistake imo. I imagine later that publishers will combine the two books into one massive tome.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Scorpid said:
FrozenCones said:
Darkong said:

And if so....

There is a guide apparently out there on the internet that tells you what order to read the chapters of Feast of crows and dance of dragons in. They were suppose to be one book but Martin decided to split the books. It was a mistake imo. I imagine later that publishers will combine the two books into one massive tome.
That actually makes perfect sense now that I think about it.

For example:
aFfC has a large portion dedicated to Sam's voyage to Bravvos then Old Town and suddenly hes back at The Wall for Jon's first chapter in aDwD.

I will have to look this up.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
Maybe, Daenerys Targaryen finally takes back the Iron Throne. I'm rooting for you girl.
She won't. She's going to be the biggest red herring in this series, she'll get all the way to the end only to get topped by someone else - probably that *filler* (I have zero care for him) character Tyrion eventually comes across in his travels. With what happened at the end of DWD, I lost a lot of faith in things - I'd almost say he did it just to purely spite the fandom.

captcha: broken record. It feels that way at times captcha, it really does.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Ech, its possible, but first he should release the book 6 to begin with.

Evil Smurf said:
Maybe, Daenerys Targaryen finally takes back the Iron Throne. I'm rooting for you girl.
daenerys dont seem to have control of her feelings or thought, let alone whole empire. which is understandable her being 13. emperor material she is not.

RonHiler said:
80, you are thinking, that is not so old in this day and age. Well, sure, for someone that takes care of themselves, I would give pretty good odds on hitting 80. But GRRM does not. Go look at a picture of him. Not to be all ghoulish and stuff, but the dude is not exactly the picture of health, and I recon the chances of him hitting 80 and still being of right mind and body such that he can still write are about as good as me hitting the lotto.
seriuosly? ive seen worse looking people live longer. he does not even look unhealthy. hes overweight, but thats kinda it. he looks like a sailor if anything, and thats not a feeble look. and considering our medicine advancement and his acess to it (moneys moneys moneys) a regular aging wont get him that easily. of course there is a chance of a heart attack and the like, but then so can you die of heart attack before finnishing reading this post.

Scars Unseen said:
If I were the author, I'd have a ready written contingency novel set to be published upon my death entitled "The Throes of Death(or How the Ice Zombies Killed Everyone - Yes, Even Tyrion)."
actually, he already covered that [https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/game-thrones-author-george-r-r-martin-reveals-143000983.html].

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Strazdas said:
Ech, its possible, but first he should release the book 6 to begin with.

Evil Smurf said:
daenerys dont seem to have control of her feelings or thought, let alone whole empire. which is understandable her being 13. emperor material she is not.

RonHiler said:
80, you are thinking, that is not so old in this day and age. Well, sure, for someone that takes care of themselves, I would give pretty good odds on hitting 80. But GRRM does not. Go look at a picture of him. Not to be all ghoulish and stuff, but the dude is not exactly the picture of health, and I recon the chances of him hitting 80 and still being of right mind and body such that he can still write are about as good as me hitting the lotto.
seriuosly? ive seen worse looking people live longer. he does not even look unhealthy. hes overweight, but thats kinda it. he looks like a sailor if anything, and thats not a feeble look. and considering our medicine advancement and his acess to it (moneys moneys moneys) a regular aging wont get him that easily. of course there is a chance of a heart attack and the like, but then so can you die of heart attack before finnishing reading this post.

Scars Unseen said:
If I were the author, I'd have a ready written contingency novel set to be published upon my death entitled "The Throes of Death(or How the Ice Zombies Killed Everyone - Yes, Even Tyrion)."
actually, he already covered that [https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/game-thrones-author-george-r-r-martin-reveals-143000983.html].
She starts 13 at year 297, but is now 16 at year 300.

That being said.. 16 Isn't really a prime age for a ruler either, she is also very emotional.

So much of Daenarys faults makes more sense in the books than the series.. All of this ignorance doesn't make as much sense if she's 10 years older.

My main point is- when the crap is book 6 coming out?

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
That's assuming he even lives to write an eight book.

Though there would be some weird irony in him dying before he can bring the books to a good conclusion :p