Game of Thrones Characters Compared to U.S. Political Figures

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Game of Thrones Characters Compared to U.S. Political Figures

You know what? Tyrion Lannister is kind of like Stephen Colbert.

Like many of you, I've been watching season two of HBO's Game of Thrones adaptation with a fervor. I loved George R. R. Martin's series of fantasy books, and never thought a translation of them to the screen would be ... so dang good. But it is, and the show has branched into the mainstream awareness more than I anticipated. So much so, that some anonymous internet denizen matched key characters of the series to figures in the United States political landscape like Rick Santorum and Bill Clinton. It's not uncommon for a such a meme to show up for a popular show, but what's surprising is the comparison is embarrassingly accurate.

The joke comes from the five kings vying for the Iron Throne of Westeros is oddly similar to the potential nominees for the Presidency of the United States. Renly Baratheon and Rick Santorum, for example, both "came from behind" to be the frontrunner, for a time. (See what they did there?)

The comparison isn't limited to the five kings and the Preisdency, however, pundits and former figures get their fair share of comparisons too. Peter Dinklage playing Tyrion Lannister is hands down the best actor of an excellent ensemble, having taken home a little golden statue to prove it, and the Imp's character is oddly similar to that of Stephen Colbert, host of the Colbert Report. According to the image, both them are "Often underestimated as a joker, too cool for the job, would probably freakin' rock at it." Yep, that sounds about right.

I won't ruin the rest of the jokes, have a look for yourself:

The only one I think is missing is a bit comparing Michelle Bachmann and Melisandre, the Red Priestess. "Crazy eyes, Looks good in red, Knows the dangers of abortion."

Source: Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/26/what-if-game-of-thrones-characters-were-presidential-candidates/]

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
endtherapture said:
What happened to original version, I originally saw this:

HODOR!!
I thought the whole thing was pretty funny, but that extra bit is CLEARLY a punch line. I laughed my ass off to it.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
When I read Gore's I started laughing and haven't yet stopped. My ribs hurt, at least when I pass out it will restore normal breathing.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, very witty. Though the part of me that follows politics is a bit insulted by the reductionist views of some of the political figures. But, it's all in good fun, none the less.

Edit: I would put John Stewart instead of Steven Colbert. He jokes just as much, but few TV personalities are as knowledgeable about politics as he is. I like Colbert, but he is a small fry compared to John Stewart. That dude does his homework.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
endtherapture said:
What happened to original version, I originally saw this:

HODOR!!
I think that axed that part because Hodor isn't actually royalty. That and then they would be stealing someone else's punchline.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hahaha, I love the Al Gore/Ned Stark one.

Global warming is coming.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
wooty said:
Hahaha, I love the Al Gore/Ned Stark one.

Global warming is coming.
For some reason that isn't as catchy as the original phrase :p

It's like saying "Disadvantageous weather is in the not too distant future."

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Winter is coming...

Really?

Well it's a good thing I know how to...

Wrap...Winter...Up!

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
They are pure wrong on Obama/Rob, Tyron/Cobert and Gore/Stark. This was obviously created by a liberal hack.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
I'm guessing we can see the Stephen Colbert/Tyrion Lannister one showing up on the Colbert Report some day soon?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Ive never seen Game of Thrones, but if this is in anyway correct, ill laugh my ass off while driving to the movie store to buy the show on DVD.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I wouldn't want Stannis for president. But as an army commander he kicks ass.