Game of Throne's Daenerys Will be in The Han Solo Movie

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Game of Throne's Daenerys Will be in The Han Solo Movie

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1293/1293924.png
Emilia Clarke, best known for her role as Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones, will be in the upcoming Han Solo movie.

The Star Wars young Han Solo spin-off project has been Star Wars.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168677-Donald-Glover-Cast-as-Young-Lando] has announced a new addition to the film's lineup: Emilia Clarke, AKA Game of Thrones' mother of dragons herself.

"Clarke's role will round out a dynamic cast of characters that Han and Chewie will encounter on their adventures. Clarke joins Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover - previously cast as Han Solo and Lando Calrissian, respectively - in the highly-anticipated film, which is set prior to the original Star Wars trilogy," wrote the blog post [http://www.starwars.com/news/emilia-clarke-joins-the-han-solo-stand-alone-film].

Since this movie is of course pre-Leia, it seems fit to assume that Clarke will play some sort of love interest for Han, though who exactly we don't know.

The untitled Han Solo movie, helmed by directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, is set for release in 2018.

Source: Star Wars [http://www.starwars.com/news/emilia-clarke-joins-the-han-solo-stand-alone-film]

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Steven Bogos said:
Since this movie is of course pre-Leia, it seems fit to assume that Clarke will play some sort of love interest for Han, though who exactly we don't know.
Um, really? I'm not ruling it out, but it seems a bit presumptuous to assume that a female character is necessary linked to the protagonist. What's to stop her from being an Imperial officer or something?

American Fox said:
She wasn't happy enough to help ruin Terminator?
If we're pinning the "ruining" of Terminator on female characters, we can give that prize to Kristina Loken. If we're pinning it on actresses who played Sarah Connor, we can give it to Lena Hedley.

Though that's more guilt by association than anythingelse.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I hope she gets a role that doesn't require heavy physical action, because I did not buy for a minute that her chicken-bone arms could carry an anti-material rifle, let alone fire it in Terminator Geneysis.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Hawki said:
Steven Bogos said:
Um, really? I'm not ruling it out, but it seems a bit presumptuous to assume that a female character is necessary linked to the protagonist. What's to stop her from being an Imperial officer or something?
My mind immediately went to love triangle. In Empire, Han did reference history between he and Lando that did cause something of a rift. I would not be surprised if Han ended up with her.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
Saelune said:
This is titled poorly.
It annoys me more than it should that it's titled "Game of Thrones Daenerys" and not "Game of Thrones Emilia Clarke".

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
SirDeadly said:
Saelune said:
This is titled poorly.
It annoys me more than it should that it's titled "Game of Thrones Daenerys" and not "Game of Thrones Emilia Clarke".
But remembering acters and actresses are separate from their screen personas is hard! That's why I consistently refer to Infinite Warfare's villain as Grand Admiral Jon Snow.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
SirDeadly said:
Saelune said:
This is titled poorly.
It's the apostrophe being in the wrong place that kills it for me. :(
008Zulu said:
Hawki said:
Steven Bogos said:
My mind immediately went to love triangle. In Empire, Han did reference history between he and Lando that did cause something of a rift. I would not be surprised if Han ended up with her.
Wasn't he miffed about the Falcon, about Han winning it? I don't recall any other issues being brought up, and the impression I got that Lando being pissed was at least partly an act - acts like a jackass to get Han at ease, so his guard will be down when he hands him over to Vader.

Or heck, maybe it will be a love triangle. Well, if Emilia Clarke can handle Jorah and Dario competing for her, Han and Lando should be a walk in the park.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
She's adorable but she's not that good in anything other than GoT. And even that is a mixed bag. She knows how to do the naive, sad and vulnerable girl, but she's not very good at acting tough. Maybe because of her cute baby face. I don't know.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
She plays Mara Jade? I know, I know... Canonically it makes absolutly zero sense, but bring her to the screen already!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Hawki said:
Wasn't he miffed about the Falcon, about Han winning it?
During their approach to Cloud City, Han said something along the lines of 'That was a long time ago, I'm sure he's forgotten about it.' Losing the Falcon isn't something you'd forget. Some random girl 10-15 years ago, maybe?

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
Given the title and the fact GoT seems to follow winter/summer patterns that would actually be explainable by an unusual ecliptic (if I recall correctly) as well as Westeros being a very low fantasy setting prior to magic's reawakening, I'd say GoT would lend itself well to a sci-fi twist and the ongoing theme with lost knowledge of the Old Valyria may well somehow tie into that.
Given that, after seeing the title reference the character rather than the actress, I were worried we'd see a GoT/SW crossover. One that I'm sure didn't feature in G.R.R.M.'s original idea. I guess the actual info puts me somewhat at ease but still, for a moment there, I were getting in a huff about everything being ruined forever already.
Also, as someone pointed out already, much as Hollywood doesn't seem to have many ideas as to what to do with their female characters besides tacking them on as love interests to the protagonist (the Cling-On Warrior achievement from Redshirt comes to mind...), I personally would very much like to see more high profile (protag or not) female characters feature in fiction without having romance as their primary theme and occupation. Furiosa pulled it well, and if you want romantic involvement in your lady badass, I'd say Zoe from Firefly is an example where it was handled pretty well.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Petter Jonsson said:
How wonderful, I can't wait to have Star Wars ruined even further.
"Even further"? It reached its nadir with Phantom and the prequels (maybe also with the Greedo scene for those who can't see the original cuts). Anything and everything is surely an improvement.

Also, what's one actor got to do with the potential quality of an IP? Has Clarke vowed to destroy the franchise from within and no else noticed?

I'm not keen on a young Han story at all, but the Marvel films did well under Disney, so for the moment I'll, er, trust in the Force/the House of Mouse.

Petter Jonsson

Mar 18, 2014
Darth Rosenberg said:
Petter Jonsson said:
How wonderful, I can't wait to have Star Wars ruined even further.
"Even further"? It reached its nadir with Phantom and the prequels (maybe also with the Greedo scene for those who can't see the original cuts). Anything and everything is surely an improvement.

Also, what's one actor got to do with the potential quality of an IP? Has Clarke vowed to destroy the franchise from within and no else noticed?

I'm not keen on a young Han story at all, but the Marvel films did well under Disney, so for the moment I'll, er, trust in the Force/the House of Mouse.
Frankly I found TFA considerably worse to watch than the prequels, not because of its level of quality (in that respect, TFA is hundreds of miles better, no denying there), but because of A) an utter lack of originality story-wise and B) having reduced the Star Wars franchise to a bog standard gritty sci-fi universe.

My original statement was hyperbolic, I'll admit, and I don't think Clarke's performance will bring down the movie in any major sense. I do, however, think that she's a bad actress and that her presence won't improve the film at all.

ZCAB

Jan 15, 2013
Country
Netherlands
She's not an actor who can elevate poor or mediocre material (such as most of Daenerys's post-season 1 plots and every major feature film she's been in so far), but she can be servicable when propped up by decent material (such as Daenerys's season 1 plot). We'll see.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
What a shame. As much as I'd like to blame her failings in the show on the source material, I was never actually bored when reading her sections. Just frustrated at the lack of momentum. She bores me on the show and the only thing that stops that is when more interesting characters are interacting with her. I suppose that does sound like it could be partially the source material, but her acting certainly makes it worse.

Maybe she'll be decent. They made what is IMO a perfect casting choice with Donald Glover, so maybe they have something in mind that will cater to her strengths.