Game of Thrones Episode 9...

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
KefkaCultist said:
*Ahem* As a person who hasn't read any of the books and actively avoided ANY spoilers, I would just like the put my reaction to the scene in this little spoiler box right down here...
FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! GODDAMMIT! NO, NO, NO, DON'T FUCKING DO THIS TO ME! SHIT! Well... Time to put duct tape over my House Stark shirt and make it say Team Arya instead. Hope she sticks a blade through Fray's eye socket.
*SLAP!*
Stark aren't done yet! We still have.. Jon and Sansa.

and Rickon. Rickon will do something.

bobajelly

Jun 4, 2008
Like most people who knew what was going to happen...I felt the way they built the tension through the episode was masterful. The look on Cat's face when Rains of Castamere begins has never filled me with such dread from a tv series before.

I feel like I missed out a great deal of impact as I had it spoiled for me...but wow.

What a well done *sunglasses*...execution of the series' most pivotal scene.

And yes greyworm and Jorah officially rock.

PiercedMonk

Feb 26, 2010
Shockolate said:
One thing about the Red Wedding scene that bothered me was how Roose rushes in right at the end, stabs Robb, than runs out of the scene again. It was like he missed his cue or something. Couldn't have been a slow walk from behind, turn Robb around and then stab him, smile at Cat and walk away? It just seemed like they rushed that part to me.
I strongly agree. Bolton just pops up, says his line, stabs Robb, and pops off the screen, again. Granted, I've read the books several times now, so I wasn't at all shocked by the goings on, but it really killed the tension of the scene for me.

And they messed up his line! "The Lannisters give their regards." No! "Jamie Lannister gives his regards." I'm pretty sure they kept the bit in where Jamie tells Bolton to give his regards to Robb Stark, so why would they change that line? Would it not have been obvious enough that Bolton had sold out Robb to the Lannisters?

Bah!

Really liked the bit with Jon and the wildlings. It's nice to see Jon in the show finally starting to take some action. Also, can't say I'll miss Orell.

Brewtus

May 20, 2012
The reaction people had was worse than I expected.

I just hope people don't stop watching, we need a strong audience to make sure the show isn't cancelled.

Vinculi

Jan 15, 2009
Jynthor said:
I've seen some people say many worse things than the red wedding happen, I've read the books but I don't really recall anything worse, could someone refresh my memory?(In spoilers obviously)
Ok, if you've read all the books so far, let's recap:

Warning, SERIOUS SPOILERS FOR AT LEAST TWO MORE SEASONS WORTH OF PLOT, DON'T CLICK IF YOU LIKE SURPRISES. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOU COMPLAINING IF YOU CLICK IT AND REGRET IT.
ok, you've been warned.

Ok, aside from Joffrey's death and Sansa's subsequent abduction, Tyrion murdering his father,Cat/Stonehart executing Brienne and a presumably resurrected Brienne luring Jaime away for some of the same (although we haven't actually seen Jaime die yet),, there's Jon Snow getting Stabbed to death and Ramsay Bolton's letter to Jon Snow about Stannis and Theon and such, which is at least as significant at the Red Wedding. There's also Varys coming out of nowhere in the epilogue of book 5 and murdering Kevan Lannister and Grand Maester Pycelle. And those are just the deaths, the Connington/Aegon reveal is a pretty big deal, and Victarion Greyjoy is about to rock up in Mereen as book 5 ends, and I had really got to like him by then, although I was rooting for Quentin Martell, so that shows how much my liking someone has to do with anything.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
Vinculi said:
Jynthor said:
I've seen some people say many worse things than the red wedding happen, I've read the books but I don't really recall anything worse, could someone refresh my memory?(In spoilers obviously)

Warning, SERIOUS SPOILERS FOR AT LEAST TWO MORE SEASONS WORTH OF PLOT, DON'T CLICK IF YOU LIKE SURPRISES. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOU COMPLAINING IF YOU CLICK IT AND REGRET IT.
ok, you've been warned.

Ok, aside from Joffrey's death and Sansa's subsequent abduction, Tyrion murdering his father,Cat/Stonehart executing Brienne and a presumably resurrected Brienne luring Jaime away for some of the same (although we haven't actually seen Jaime die yet),, there's Jon Snow getting Stabbed to death and Ramsay Bolton's letter to Jon Snow about Stannis and Theon and such, which is at least as significant at the Red Wedding. There's also Varys coming out of nowhere in the epilogue of book 5 and murdering Kevan Lannister and Grand Maester Pycelle. And those are just the deaths, the Connington/Aegon reveal is a pretty big deal, and Victarion Greyjoy is about to rock up in Mereen as book 5 ends, and I had really got to like him by then, although I was rooting for Quentin Martell, so that shows how much my liking someone has to do with anything.
I don't think Jon Snow is dead. He wasn't alone when the betrayal occurred. We still don't even know his parentage yet.

Also,
I don't think Brienne would truly back stab Jaime unless she were somehow brainwashed upon revival. It isn't made clear if she were actually executed, either. All we know is that she shouted a single word and apparently it convinced Zombie Cat to spare her.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Jesus H. Christ...!

That caught me with one foot off the merry-go-round. The fact that these characters were sort of presented as this "safe haven" makes this event all the more shocking. Add to that they were the "nice guys". And now they're fucking dead.

Kudos to the show for blindsiding me the way it did. The only other piece of fiction that sucker punched me like this is Berserk. I don't think I can ever watch that episode again though. Had I known about this before hand I would've never been able to make it through to the end.

Vinculi

Jan 15, 2009
lucky_sharm said:
Vinculi said:
Jynthor said:

ok, you've been warned.

I don't think Jon Snow is dead. He wasn't alone when the betrayal occurred. We still don't even know his parentage yet.

Also,
I don't think Brienne would truly back stab Jaime unless she were somehow brainwashed upon revival. It isn't made clear if she were actually executed, either. All we know is that she shouted a single word and apparently it convinced Zombie Cat to spare her.
We should probably stop. I know we're using spoilers and such, but some people just can't resist them.
Good points though, Just saying there's a few more "shock" moments to come.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009

Also, it would be greatly appreciated if people actually listed which book they're spoiling when they create a spoiler tag.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Look on the bright side, it can only really get happier from here. And besides, we have another wedding to look forward to.

As a reader of the books, I can honestly say that even though I knew what was coming, this still shocked me. Very well done.
Robb's wife's death was especially shocking for me since she didn't actually attend the wedding in the books.
Yes... but she was also an entirely different person in the books too! :S I always found that kind of annoying in the series!
I haven't watched this series yet because I don't have a TV/good internet, and I am currently half way through book 4 and the differences between the book and show have been confusing me at times because I somewhat attempted to do them concurrently!

I knew what was going to happen though, and I am loving the mass responses to it! I remeber how I felt when reading it... horrified!

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Only now after episode 9 is it abundantly clear to me why a new character (Talisa) was created to be Robb's wife as opposed to using the book's character (Jeyne).

I wasn't up in arms about it originally but was a bit put off. Now though, it makes perfect sense in the context of the series and the necessity to prevent the show's scale from skyrocketing.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
Hunter85792 said:
Plus there was no setup with The Rains of Castarmere (the song) to briefly foreshadow the massacre right before it happened. It was never explained to the audience (as far as I know) in the series, so a viewer who didn't read the book wouldn't understand the significance of the song. Plus they used an instrumental version, so the aforementioned tv watchers couldn't read (ha ha) between the lines.
They explained the story behind Rains of Castamere literally in the previous episode. It was sung before the Blackwater battle last season, and the National sung a version over the credits immediately following Tywin Lannister declaring victory, and lastly it's the title of the episode.

The only way they could have made it more obvious is if the violinist got up and yelled "I WILL NOW PLAY THE LANNISTER SONG!"

While I'm also a little disappointed we didn't get the scenes of violence interspersed with the lines of the song, as in the book, I'm also reasonably sure it's not sung in the book either. At least, the lines are in italics and it seems to me as though it's Cat thinking them in her head as she watches the carnage around her.

EDIT: Apologies for telling you something you've already been told half a dozen times, I miseed a page of the thread.

PiercedMonk said:
And they messed up his line! "The Lannisters give their regards." No! "Jamie Lannister gives his regards." I'm pretty sure they kept the bit in where Jamie tells Bolton to give his regards to Robb Stark, so why would they change that line? Would it not have been obvious enough that Bolton had sold out Robb to the Lannisters?
Because they've spent so much time this season building up Jaime as something of a sympathetic character, and they need all the opportunity they can get to focus audience hatred on the Lannisters we're meant to hate. Not to mention that there's significantly less evidence of Tywin' involvement in the show than in the books, so any potential nod to his involvement is one they have to take. I was initially a bit put off too, but quickly realised it makes sense, as we don't have Jaime's internal monologue to help temper our perspective of him.

I've yet to see anyone complain about the fact they gave the line to Roose, instead of some nameless Frey.

Dec 16, 2009
i've not read the books and avoided all GoT spoilers online. i was gobsmacked
amazing TV

I read a quote that GRRM destroys a character before he kills them, he's certainly done that to the Starks

Also doesn't look good for the Stark name
Jon is an outcast from the Wildlings and the Crows, and he's a bastard
Bran has gone north to become professor X
The women can't pass on the Stark name, and that just leaves the forgettable little boy

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Anoni Mus said:
GrimTuesday said:
BakedZnake said:
GrimTuesday said:
In the books, Robbs wife doesn't die, so there was speculation that she might be pregnant
Wasn't she given milk of the poppy by her mother to stop her from getting pregnant, and was ordered by Jaime to kill her if anyone attempts to rescue her? Plus she practically disappears in the last 2 books
No, Milk of the Poppy just dulls pains and helps people to sleep Jeyne's mother was giving her tansy, which is an abortifacient. I just don't like how unambiguous the show is especially when it comes to things like this, because part of the fun is the speculation about what is going to happen in the books.

Headdrivehardscrew said:
Again, there would be one significant change from the books that could bite everyone involved in the ass. But, alas, it looks like they're not planning ahead beyond the next season. So... let's hope GRR Martin will not feck the TV suits over by using any of the characters they changed, omitted or killed. Sure, it worked for Dexter, for a bit... for, what, two-and-a-half seasons over the course of six seasons, before it turned into Dallas?
What the hell are you talking about. Its GRRM's books, and he can do what ever he wants, show be damned. He is not telling their story, they are telling his, and though they consult with him quite a bit, if they kill someone who turns out to be important later, they are the ones who fucked up.

Anoni Mus said:
Stop telling spoilers or hints of spoilers. Seriously, you deserve warnings. And if you want to say book spoilers, put it in Spoiler and tell it's either from the book or episode 9.
Its not our job to make sure you don't have things spoiled, so why should we be punished for your inability to avoid spoilers? Its a thread about the series, you should expect spoilers. You would have a point if the thread were about puppies or kittens or what shape is your head, but its not, so boo hoo.
It's about the series, don't talk about the books. Is it that hard putting a spoiler tag? You must lack empathy.
I'm so sick of non-readers complaining about spoilers, and I think spoiling things is stupid. If you're choosing to remain unspoiled that's your choice, so why should we have to change our behavior just for you? Its not our job to carry out your every whim.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Shockolate said:
One thing about the Red Wedding scene that bothered me was how Roose rushes in right at the end, stabs Robb, than runs out of the scene again. It was like he missed his cue or something. Couldn't have been a slow walk from behind, turn Robb around and then stab him, smile at Cat and walk away? It just seemed like they rushed that part to me.

All in all, I loved the episode. And I've gotten much enjoyment from #RedWeddingTears on twitter.
Yea, Bolton kind of fucked with the rhythm of the scene. It was like watching someone who doesn't know what they're doing try and play Assassins Creed.

Overall, I was hoping for a bit more of a fight, especially with Greywind, but they did a good job of making it very dramatic. The wedding I'm really looking forward to is coming up.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
LuisGuimaraes said:
Meh... No Players, No Game.

Now all that's left is a lot of gossip and family intriges bullshit. It'll take forever until a good plotline re-arranges again, unless the story just jumps years forward and bring the white walker and the dragons all to King's Landings at once.

Brace yourselves, the soap opera is comming.
Old players leave and new players enter.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
GrimTuesday said:
I'm so sick of non-readers complaining about spoilers, and I think spoiling things is stupid. If you're choosing to remain unspoiled that's your choice, so why should we have to change our behavior just for you? Its not our job to carry out your every whim.
That's a pretty self centred attitude. Is it too far beyond the realms of possibility for people to be fans of the show but not want to read the books? Are you unable to comprehend that maybe people want to discuss the episode they've just watched without accidently discovering what will happen in the next series? Avoiding one spoilers is one thing, but having them turn up where you don't expect them is something else.

He's not asking you to 'change your behaviour', or even take your discussion elsewhere. He's simply asking you to add nineteen extra characters to your post so that people don't read material from later books in a thread ostensibly discussing only the events of one episode.

Given the amazing reactions the TV audience has had to the Red Wedding, I can't believe anyone would want to spoil later events for these poor children of summer.

Captcha: "that escalated quickly". Reading the thread too, are we captcha?