Game of Thrones Fans Can Tweet to Bring Down Joffrey

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Game of Thrones Fans Can Tweet to Bring Down Joffrey

SKY TV New Zealand has built a statue of King Joffrey that Game of Thrones fans can destroy with their Tweets.

In a fantasy world full of not so nice people, Joffrey Baratheon is pretty much the king of the jerks. A spoiled sadistic monster masquerading as a human being, pretty much everything he says and does in the series oozes malicious venom. Regardless of whether you're talking the books or the show, there probably isn't a more universally loathed character in the whole of the franchise.

That in mind, you might wonder why the New Zealand town of Auckland recently installed a statue of the boy king. According SKY TV New Zealand, the answer is to pull it down. In an email, the company explained that a "medieval winch" has been attached to the statue "with a rope around Joffrey's neck." Every time a fan Tweets with the hashtag #bringdowntheking, the winch will pull the rope slightly tighter. This will continue until the statue is finally pulled down. To make the final fall viewable around the world, SKY TV has also installed a <a href=http://bringdowntheking.com/live>pair of cameras that fans can use to watch the statues downward progress in real time.

All of this is, of course, being done to help promote the impending premiere of Game of Thrones season four. With the show set to begin anew <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131191-Game-of-Thrones-Season-Four-Premiere-Coming-April-6>on April 6th, we'll be interested to see if the statue still stands or if the collective hatred of the world's Twitter users will be enough to bring it down by Sunday.

Source: <a href=http://bringdowntheking.com/live>Bring Down the King

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Awesome, I am watching it now.

Edit: Not like, 24/7. I have things to do..

Like...

Watching this.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Is it me or they are really spoiling the show? It's not the first Joffrey centric publicity I've seen too. His death will be less of a surprise like the one for Rob.

Jan 12, 2012
Random Argument Man said:
Is it me or they are really spoiling the show? It's not the first Joffrey centric publicity I've seen too. His death will be less of a surprise like the one for Rob.
It may be spoiling (although Joff getting his comeuppance is long overdue for most fans), but some people will think that it's just riding on the wave of Joffrey Hate. Since the first season they've been happy to milk that cow for all it's worth.

OT: Man, that website is awful. From Camera 1, you can barely see the statue behind the Twitter feed showing the latest tweet, the unnecessary cog.gif, the "Voices of the People" (a duplicate twitter feed showing the past two tweets), the social media buttons, the "switch camera" button, and the "Live from Auckland" burned into the footage. It's a neat idea, but they really need a web designer fast before this catches on.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Random Argument Man said:
It may be spoiling (although Joff getting his comeuppance is long overdue for most fans), but some people will think that it's just riding on the wave of Joffrey Hate. Since the first season they've been happy to milk that cow for all it's worth.

OT: Man, that website is awful. From Camera 1, you can barely see the statue behind the Twitter feed showing the latest tweet, the unnecessary cog.gif, the "Voices of the People" (a duplicate twitter feed showing the past two tweets), the social media buttons, the "switch camera" button, and the "Live from Auckland" burned into the footage. It's a neat idea, but they really need a web designer fast before this catches on.
I'm guessing you have a smaller screen than most, I can see the statue just fine with an inch or two of just town square before all the tabs and feeds etc. start.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Personally, Joffrey is not the worse character in that serie. Ramsey Snow/Bolton somehow manage to be even worse somehow, even if his principal victim his also a jackass

Jan 12, 2012
Lil_Rimmy said:
I'm guessing you have a smaller screen than most, I can see the statue just fine with an inch or two of just town square before all the tabs and feeds etc. start.
15.4 inch, 16:10, 1280x800 pixels; pretty standard, I thought. The edge of the cog was right up against his back.

Also, the broadcasts seem to have stopped. Technical difficulties?

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Lil_Rimmy said:
15.4 inch, 16:10, 1280x800 pixels; pretty standard, I thought. The edge of the cog was right up against his back.

Not really, that's considered low-rez. Most PC enthusiasts have a 1920x1080 resolution on something 20+inch screens (and that's low balling it). Yes, I think you do have website issues with your personal view as mine sees the square perfectly fine, statue and all (and by "all" I mean the man to the left on the bench eating lunch and the couple on the bench behind to the right). The Twitter feed is to the far right of all that, the cog counter above that and the camera embed link to left-upper from the bench eating guy. So, there's really no issue on my end, or the website for that matter. It's a matter of the use (i.e. you) having a small monitor and low rez screen. Sorry, but true.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm surprised this thing is still standing. I've never watched the show, but I did see the Honest Trailers and a clip on Watch Mojo, and I have to say that even I hate this kid. I'll be very surprised if this thing is still standing by the end of the weekend.

Jan 12, 2012
Deathfish15 said:
Not really, that's considered low-rez. Most PC enthusiasts have a 1920x1080 resolution on something 20+inch screens (and that's low balling it). Yes, I think you do have website issues with your personal view as mine sees the square perfectly fine, statue and all (and by "all" I mean the man to the left on the bench eating lunch and the couple on the bench behind to the right). The Twitter feed is to the far right of all that, the cog counter above that and the camera embed link to left-upper from the bench eating guy. So, there's really no issue on my end, or the website for that matter. It's a matter of the use (i.e. you) having a small monitor and low rez screen. Sorry, but true.
Yeah, the broadcast was only down for a few minutes. I guess my laptop is insufficient for this task.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
I just hope Jack Gleeson's role does not backfire at him like it did for Wil Wheaton.

Playing a believable/hateable jerk in TV/Movie is just as difficult as playing the sympathetic lead.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
I'm surprised this thing is still standing. I've never watched the show, but I did see the Honest Trailers and a clip on Watch Mojo, and I have to say that even I hate this kid. I'll be very surprised if this thing is still standing by the end of the weekend.
Are you one of those rare and magical people who hasn't seen the original Star Wars trilogy? Have you never tried pizza? I hope the rock you're living under is a pretty one.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
AldUK said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Are you one of those rare and magical people who hasn't seen the original Star Wars trilogy? Have you never tried pizza? I hope the rock you're living under is a pretty one.
It must have some really interesting pictures underneath it too.
"Ooh, it looks like a square! And there's a triangle! And the square again!"

It must be a very pretty rock.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
AldUK said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Why thank you. I just redecorated it. :)

I've seen Star Wars. Have huge collection of it actually. I've just never felt the need to watch or read Game of Thrones. Nor have I ever seen a full episode of The Walking Dead. I get some strange looks from my friends and coworkers, considering my other interests, but they just never really appealed to me.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011

thats not a standard.
pretty much any 16:10 screen built in last what, 5 years have at least 1440x900 resolution. Pretty much anyone using their computer for more than browsing also have moved to at least 1080p. Then again from 15.4" im guessing your on the small version of a laptop, in which case you should realize your sub-standard to begin with.
heck, the last time i saw a 15.4" screen that wasnt on a laptop was... perhaps 2000. and that one had 1600x1200 resolution (ah, the good old high res kinescopic monitors, loved them)

Just tried the feed on my work monitor which is a 11 years old 1280x1024 POS, and the feed looked fine

AldUK said:
i guess im magical as well as i havent seen breaking bad (well ok, to be honest, i saw the first season thanks to my cousin recently. hes a fan so he forced me to watch it)

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
BloodRed Pixel said:
I just hope Jack Gleeson's role does not backfire at him like it did for Wil Wheaton.

Playing a believable/hateable jerk in TV/Movie is just as difficult as playing the sympathetic lead.
Well Gleeson has already said he was done with acting after his role with Game of Thrones was over so I doubt he's too worried about the backlash causing problems with casting.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
#longlivejoffrey

It would be kind of amazing if this fizzled and the statue stayed standing. :D

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
lacktheknack said:
#longlivejoffrey

It would be kind of amazing if this fizzled and the statue stayed standing. :D
That's what I was thinking as well, actually. How many fans will want it left up because the fact that New Zealand has a full sized statue from GoT is absolutely fantastic? Not only that, but the statue actually seems like something that would exist in-universe as well, unlike that Robocop statue they're putting up in Detroit.

OT: Come to think of it, has that Robocop statue been put in place yet? Last I checked they had it more or less ready, but that was almost a year ago.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Deathfish15 said:
Lil_Rimmy said:
People who spend 400+dollars on a monitor are not the standard.