Game of Thrones Final Season Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Well. Here we are, the Final Season to Game of Thrones is now upon us. 8 Years of quality television (even the worse episodes are still better then most TV shows out there) and we shall never see its kind in awhile unless HBO makes the next big series. Tonight the First Episode of Season 8 begins and I am already resubbed to HBO Now (through a Gift Card)

So to recap what happened in Season 7:

Dany has finally invaded Westeros with mixed results in trying to take the Iron Throne from Cersei.

Jon Snow goes on a diplomatic mission to negotiate with Dany for her aid to face the White Walkers and their Undead Minions. Only to end up in the most rushed Romantic Relationship since Jack and Ashi.

The Stark Children have all returned home to Winterfell, and basically succeeded in killing off Littlefinger.

Bran Stark, now the One-eyed Raven, along with Samwell Tully has pieced together and fully confirmed that Jon Snow is not the bastard son of Ned Stark and some out of wedlock woman, but the son of Lyanna Stark and Rheagar Targaryan. And Jon's true name is Aegon Targaryan (even though I think it should have been Jaehaerys Targaryen)

After seeing a Wight for the first time, Jaime decides to go to Winterfell to support the heroes in the North against the Undead menace. Causing friction at last between Jaime and Cersei, now Cersei is alone on the Iron Throne waiting for her Mercenary Army, The Golden Company, to arrive.

And last but not least......Winter has come at last:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Awaiting comments on how terrible GoT is now in 3...2...1...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Betting that the first one to say it is Silentpony :p
My bet's on Gethsemani. :p

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
But to be fair, the writing and acting quality hasn't been as good since Season 3 imo.

Like I feel like the series has changed after the Red Wedding happened. For lack of a better word, the show became more....self-aware of its success.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
But to be fair, the writing and acting quality hasn't been as good since Season 3 imo.
I'd say season 4. I'm actually not that fond of season 3 overall.

But even that aside, while I think the series is defenitely weaker than it was at its zenith, it's still stronger than a lot of TV shows out there. GoT at its worst (season 7) is still better than a lot of stuff at its best.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Dumb jokes aside, I think the show got progressively more stupid than actually bad. I don't mind big, dumb drama and GoT delivers some really big and really dumb drama.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
I'm sorry that Chimpzy beat me to it. ;) Though I'm sort of with Chimpzy on this one, in that GoT isn't really bad. It is still an extremely well-produced show with great production values and excellent actors (many of the child actors, Kit Harrington not included, have really proven their acting abilities repeatedly as they grew older). I'm mostly salty over how the writing team seems to have had no idea what to do with the narrative itself and fundamentally misunderstands the actual themes and arcs from the books. In a way, GoT has become the unintentional Starship Troopers of TV shows, in that the TV show often takes the exact opposite stance on a theme or arc that the books have, despite the framing being exactly similar (Arya's plot being an excellent example: in the books it is the tragedy of a young child losing herself in her hatred, in the show it is the empowering badass story of how she learns to kill people to get revenge).

All in all, I still like the show, I just have no trust in D&D's ability to carry the story.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Gethsemani said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
GoT isn't really bad. It is still an extremely well-produced show with great production values and excellent actors (many of the child actors, Kit Harrington not included, .
Poor Kit Harrington. 8 Seasons and he's still wooden for you?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The show lost me at its portrayal of Drogo all the way back in the first season. It's not just that it ruins his character, which would have been excusable, seeing how he's only in the first half of the first season, but it ruins Daenerys' character by association.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Gethsemani said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
GoT isn't really bad. It is still an extremely well-produced show with great production values and excellent actors (many of the child actors, Kit Harrington not included, .
kit is wooden in everything I've seen him in, I've no idea why he's popular at all. is he the new Keanu Reeves? at least Keanu Reeves is a genuinely admirable human though

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I gotta get in on this action!
My hopes is the final scene, huge epic battle, everyone all bloody and deathy and the like. BOOM! Fire from the sky! Roaring engines! A thunderhawk descends from the sky, the Black Templars cross emblazoned on its side.
From the ramp descends a skull faced Chaplain.
'Cease!' He roars, and all fighting stops.
Robed Chapter serfs come forth, quickly and quietly pointing towards the youngest males in the Watch and Guard. Larger serfs take the youth, struggling, aboard the Thunderhawk. The Chaplain stops in front of Jon Snow and points his Crozius.
'This one too.' And turns, marching away. Jon is taken aboard the Thunderhawk.
'Continue' The Chaplain says dismissively as he boards the transport. The ramp slowly closes as screen fades to black

Jon Snow will return

*Credits*

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Neurotic Void Melody said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Gethsemani said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
kit is wooden in everything I've seen him in, I've no idea why he's popular at all. is he the new Keanu Reeves? at least Keanu Reeves is a genuinely admirable human though
I haven't seen or heard anything bad about Kit Harrington as a person.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Don't you disrespect Keanu Reeves! Reeves might not be a great character actor, but he's an excellent actor for physical roles, whether that is action or physical comedy. I still hold that Reeves role as John Constantine is the best, simply because he sells how burdened Constantine is with every move he makes in that movie. You don't pick Reeves to do Shakespeare, you pick him to play the haunted, legendary mob hitman who is grieving the loss of his dog and is about to do a lot of physical stunts.

Also, Harrington is always wooden. It is the guy who managed to put on a mildly confused expression for the scene where his brothers in arms gives him the Julius Caesar treatment and then plays being miraculously resurrected as something worthy of a gently disconcerted frown. To be fair to Harrington, Clarke is sort of the same in GoT (and she's tons more expressive in other works) which makes me think that the directing of their acting might be part of the problem.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Gethsemani said:
Don't you disrespect Keanu Reeves! Reeves might not be a great character actor, but he's an excellent actor for physical roles, whether that is action or physical comedy. I still hold that Reeves role as John Constantine is the best, simply because he sells how burdened Constantine is with every move he makes in that movie. You don't pick Reeves to do Shakespeare, you pick him to play the haunted, legendary mob hitman who is grieving the loss of his dog and is about to do a lot of physical stunts.

Also, Harrington is always wooden. It is the guy who managed to put on a mildly confused expression for the scene where his brothers in arms gives him the Julius Caesar treatment and then plays being miraculously resurrected as something worthy of a gently disconcerted frown. To be fair to Harrington, Clarke is sort of the same in GoT (and she's tons more expressive in other works) which makes me think that the directing of their acting might be part of the problem.
your point is true, I tend to think in terms of character acting when describing any particular actor, but he picks the right physical roles quite well and John Wick certainly is a prime example of capitalising on those strengths.
hmm, was starting to think I was the only one left who felt the Constantine film was alright

having seen Harrington in other roles, can't say there was anything notable other than an attractive face maybe? no on screen charisma or presence, minimal facial or vocal cues, just Blandy McBlanderson. which can be used well with the right material and direction, but not seen it happen in his case yet

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
My friend showed me this, so just thought I'd share it.

Also, as I don't have Sky TV and have to wait for the DVD's, my friends have been threatened with death if they share any spoilers.

Oct 22, 2011
I will be dissapointed if the final episode won't be an hour of snow falling on everyone's corpses.
was starting to think I was the only one left who felt the Constantine film was alright
Not at all. Another person who enjoyed "Constantine" here. Haven't read the Hellblazer, so can't speak about faithfullness to the source material, but Keanu wasn't one of its problems neither.
BTW: A less typical, little role he's good in - seedy motel manager in "Neon Demon".

Can't say much good about Harrington though. He plays a sympathetic character, but he does it on one "looking midly concerned" note. Haven't heard about his other roles being any great either.