Game of Thrones Final Season Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
Saelune said:
I am expecting a mostly traditional semi-happy ending, atleast overall. Sure a bunch of people will be bummed cause x will die but they live.

Jon and Daenerys will either rule together, or maybe get rid of the monarchy or something, Cersei will die. I think Jaime will die, but die specifically a hero's death saving someone important or doing something important. I actually think he might die saving Bran as a sort of 'full circle' situation.

A lot of people think Brienne will die, but I bet she will live.

I don't think were going full 7 Samurai here. A lot more people are going to live than people are giving credit, though most of them will likely lose someone that makes victory a bit less so.

Oh and Tyrion will live as 'The Last Lannister' and that will bother him.

I do think there will be 1 death that 'shouldn't happen' but will happen just to 'surprise' everyone.
And the Stark Children? I am calling that Gendry will die so poor Arya x Gendry.
 

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
6,651
0
0
Saelune said:
I think Jaime will die, but die specifically a hero's death saving someone important or doing something important. I actually think he might die saving Bran as a sort of 'full circle' situation.
I hope he lives. He is easily the best character in the show.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
Adam Jensen said:
Saelune said:
I think Jaime will die, but die specifically a hero's death saving someone important or doing something important. I actually think he might die saving Bran as a sort of 'full circle' situation.
I hope he lives. He is easily the best character in the show.
He's like the opposite of Prince Zuko...but ends in the same result.
 

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
4,407
299
88
Finland
Hawki said:
(like all seasons, it's a case of me spoiling myself while waiting for the DVD)
Is watching unlicensed videos online illegal in Australia or what? Sharing is, of course, but watching isn't afaik. Or are you too much of a goody-two-shoes? :^)

OT: Not much happened. Thank goodness plenty of this bunch will be dying, so there can be more concentrated focus. Gilly's actress has swollen.
 

Nickolai77

New member
Apr 3, 2009
2,843
0
0
Adam Jensen said:
Saelune said:
I think Jaime will die, but die specifically a hero's death saving someone important or doing something important. I actually think he might die saving Bran as a sort of 'full circle' situation.
I hope he lives. He is easily the best character in the show.
I'm hoping that he's able to live up to his title of Kingslayer by killing the Night King, I don't expect him to live though.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
8,624
1,654
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
McElroy said:
Is watching unlicensed videos online illegal in Australia or what? Sharing is, of course, but watching isn't afaik. Or are you too much of a goody-two-shoes? :^)
My understanding is that it's illegal anywhere (well, in the West at least) to watch unlicensed videos. That hasn't stopped me in the past though (e.g. MLP and Sonic Boom have all been through YouTube for me), but GoT is much harder to get one's hands on.

But basically it's a combination of it being too much hassle, coupled with at least some moral fibre.
 

Gethsemani_v1legacy

New member
Oct 1, 2009
2,552
0
0
Nickolai77 said:
Adam Jensen said:
Saelune said:
I think Jaime will die, but die specifically a hero's death saving someone important or doing something important. I actually think he might die saving Bran as a sort of 'full circle' situation.
I hope he lives. He is easily the best character in the show.
I'm hoping that he's able to live up to his title of Kingslayer by killing the Night King, I don't expect him to live though.
I am really hoping that he will live and that the show will do something with the awesome premise of him and Dany discussing his decision to betray his vows and murder Aerys in order to save all the people of King's Landing. It is exactly the kind of scene that the last season needs in order to remind viewers of the stakes of letting the Targaryens to continue their rule. More realistically, I am expecting him to die for cheap melodrama in order to save Brienne or maybe even Tormund.
 

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
4,789
1
0
Ah, episode 2. Bit of a slow episode. Seems like they wanted to get all the characters moments over and done with. Most of them too long, kind of awkward and unclear on what their purpose is supposed to be. Dany and Jon in particular continue their 'romance', cuz they're attractive people and the writers said so. But some of them were pretty good. Like Podrick's song. Nice and understated, and kind of reminiscent of Pippin's song in Return of the King. Liked the bit of banter between Jon, Sam and Edd too.

Anyway, the episode ends with the united forces of Dany, the North and the leftover characters waiting for the arrival of the zombos. Same as episode one, except now with Jaime and Theon. Oh, and the zombos showed up. Next episode, big dumb zombo battle?
 

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
4,407
299
88
Finland
Hawki said:
McElroy said:
Is watching unlicensed videos online illegal in Australia or what? Sharing is, of course, but watching isn't afaik. Or are you too much of a goody-two-shoes? :^)
My understanding is that it's illegal anywhere (well, in the West at least) to watch unlicensed videos. That hasn't stopped me in the past though (e.g. MLP and Sonic Boom have all been through YouTube for me), but GoT is much harder to get one's hands on.

But basically it's a combination of it being too much hassle, coupled with at least some moral fibre.
Watching YouTube, Twitch or whatever is never illegal. The responsibility for licenses and such used to be solely on the uploader and nowadays more and more with the host. No self-incrimination here.
 

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
1,629
1,012
118
Country
The Netherlands
Gethsemani said:
Nickolai77 said:
Adam Jensen said:
Saelune said:
I think Jaime will die, but die specifically a hero's death saving someone important or doing something important. I actually think he might die saving Bran as a sort of 'full circle' situation.
I hope he lives. He is easily the best character in the show.
I'm hoping that he's able to live up to his title of Kingslayer by killing the Night King, I don't expect him to live though.
I am really hoping that he will live and that the show will do something with the awesome premise of him and Dany discussing his decision to betray his vows and murder Aerys in order to save all the people of King's Landing. It is exactly the kind of scene that the last season needs in order to remind viewers of the stakes of letting the Targaryens to continue their rule. More realistically, I am expecting him to die for cheap melodrama in order to save Brienne or maybe even Tormund.
I don't really think a meaningful conversation between Jaime and Danny will happen. For one Jaime doesn't seem to have any desire to reveal Aerys loony wildfire plot and Danny has already come to terms with her father being a monster, making another reminder a bit pointless.

Aerys also isn't really a good reminder of Targaryen madness either. The Targaryen's reputation for madness seems to be something of an in universe meme based completely on Aerys. No other Targaryen king was loony like him with the other bad kings just being really evil or incompetent instead of having ''typically'' Targaryen madness.
 

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
8,478
3,962
118
Country
United Kingdom
Hades said:
[The Targaryen's reputation for madness seems to be something of an in universe meme based completely on Aerys. No other Targaryen king was loony like him with the other bad kings just being really evil or incompetent instead of having ''typically'' Targaryen madness.
Maegor the Cruel? Baelor the Blessed? Aerion Brightflame?

There's more of a tendency for grandiosity to verge into madness in the family than just Aerys.
 

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

New member
Mar 28, 2010
1,028
0
0
Silvanus said:
There's more of a tendency for grandiosity to verge into madness in the family than just Aerys.
See, basically everything that led up to, and happened during, the Blackfyre rebellions.
 

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
8,478
3,962
118
Country
United Kingdom
Eacaraxe said:
See, basically everything that led up to, and happened during, the Blackfyre rebellions.
Yep, this as well-- I'd say you could even make a case for Brynden Rivers and Bittersteel themselves.
 

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
1,629
1,012
118
Country
The Netherlands
Silvanus said:
Hades said:
[The Targaryen's reputation for madness seems to be something of an in universe meme based completely on Aerys. No other Targaryen king was loony like him with the other bad kings just being really evil or incompetent instead of having ''typically'' Targaryen madness.
Maegor the Cruel? Baelor the Blessed? Aerion Brightflame?

There's more of a tendency for grandiosity to verge into madness in the family than just Aerys.
Maegor never really struck me as insane and more of an iron dictator type ala Stalin.The other bad Targaryens seem fairly normal. Aegon II was just dimm witted and cruel and Aegon IV just very very decadent. I suppose mister brightflame wasn't normal but he was a very minor prince in the grand scheme of things and a clear exception in his lifetime.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
8,624
1,654
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Gethsemani said:
I am really hoping that he will live and that the show will do something with the awesome premise of him and Dany discussing his decision to betray his vows and murder Aerys in order to save all the people of King's Landing. It is exactly the kind of scene that the last season needs in order to remind viewers of the stakes of letting the Targaryens to continue their rule. More realistically, I am expecting him to die for cheap melodrama in order to save Brienne or maybe even Tormund.
I wouldn't say no to such a scene, but I can live without it. Jaime's already told Brienne the truth about what happened, and by extension, he's telling the viewer. Similarly, Dany's already accepted that her father was a terrible person.

Hades said:
Aerys also isn't really a good reminder of Targaryen madness either. The Targaryen's reputation for madness seems to be something of an in universe meme based completely on Aerys. No other Targaryen king was loony like him with the other bad kings just being really evil or incompetent instead of having ''typically'' Targaryen madness.
"Every time a Targaryen is born, the gods flip a coin." (as to whether they'll be sane or not)

Others have listed it, but the Targaryen Dynasy had its share of madmen before Aerys II.
 

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
4,028
1,399
118
Country
Texas
Aegon V managed to burn himself and his court down over trying to hatch some maybe-real dragon eggs, too.
 

Nickolai77

New member
Apr 3, 2009
2,843
0
0
Gethsemani said:
Nickolai77 said:
Adam Jensen said:
Saelune said:
I think Jaime will die, but die specifically a hero's death saving someone important or doing something important. I actually think he might die saving Bran as a sort of 'full circle' situation.
I hope he lives. He is easily the best character in the show.
I'm hoping that he's able to live up to his title of Kingslayer by killing the Night King, I don't expect him to live though.
I am really hoping that he will live and that the show will do something with the awesome premise of him and Dany discussing his decision to betray his vows and murder Aerys in order to save all the people of King's Landing. It is exactly the kind of scene that the last season needs in order to remind viewers of the stakes of letting the Targaryens to continue their rule. More realistically, I am expecting him to die for cheap melodrama in order to save Brienne or maybe even Tormund.
After some thought I actually think it's more likely Jamie will survive the battle- I suspect the writers will want to have him kill Cersei at least.




Thoughts on this chart anyone? I actually think Sam will survive, as it's already been heavily suggested earlier in the series that he is the one who will write A Song of Ice and Fire and there's a convincing fan theory that he's actually the author George Martin. I agree everyone on the bottom row will die, their story arcs are done. Gilly will die in the crypts I'm sure which will be sad to see.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
8,624
1,654
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Nickolai77 said:
Thoughts on this chart anyone?
If we're confining it just to the next episode, I think they're reasonable estimates. However, I'd actually bump up Sam and Gendry, as I'm guessing that the former will become the new head of House Tarly (I mean, who's left bar his sister?), and the latter will become the new head of House Baratheon, since he's all that's left of the Baratheon bloodline. On the other hand, I don't know why Sandor is so high up. Everyone's going on about the "Cleganebowl," but I don't really see it as being something that absolutely has to happen.

Also, I'm more optimistic about Tormund, because he's the only wildling character left at this point. If he goes, the wildlings are without a 'face' to represent them, assuming that they have a future in the North.

I actually think Sam will survive, as it's already been heavily suggested earlier in the series that he is the one who will write A Song of Ice and Fire and there's a convincing fan theory that he's actually the author George Martin.
Well that can't be right - that would mean actually finishing writing the damn thing. :p
 

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
1,629
1,012
118
Country
The Netherlands
SupahEwok said:
Aegon V managed to burn himself and his court down over trying to hatch some maybe-real dragon eggs, too.
Aegon ''Egg'' V is actually the most normal Targaryen there ever was due to having grown up with a hedge knight. There's a lot of speculation the accident that killed him was actually an ''accident'' instead.