Game of Thrones Final Season Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
CM156 said:
My question is the same. For what purpose? The wildlings are severely reduced in number and likely won't be a problem in future. And the White Walkers are all dead. There doesn't seem to be much of a purpose in having a wall, let alone people to watch it.
I think the point was, Grey Worm didn't know that. The dumb ball-less bastard drug Tyrion out before a council of his own countrymen for a trial when his own outnumbered forces now occupied the least defensible and most treacherous position in Westeros, knowing full well how trying him works out for the accused. He literally stood there and let Tyrion talk his way into picking his own judge and jury, then stood there looking like somebody cut his cock off all over again when it didn't go his way.

Grey Worm is lucky he, the Unsullied, and the twelve remaining Dothraki were allowed to part Westeros, in peace, as free men. You know, only for Grey Worm to order sailing straight for Plague Island. Is it that much of a stretch they conned Grey Worm into believing that giving Jon everything he actually wanted, was a punishment?

I mean, the only thing keeping Westeros from another, bigger, even bloodier civil war at this point is Bran's Tree-Leto powers. He granted his family's domain independence to be ruled by his sister, but not Dorne or the Iron Islands which actually have standing armies and navies at this point, and appointed a lowborn sellsword Warden of the Reach. Not to mention naming the most hated man in Westeros Hand, and a disinherited noble of an eradicated House who is a deserter of both Night's Watch and Maester order, and a thief, Grand Maester. Bare minimum, Dorne's in a fantastic position to wage a war of independence and win, nothing stops the Ironborn from Reaving. Fucking. Everything., and the Reach is likely to rebel against Bronn to install one of their own as Warden.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I continue to hate Sansa. Dude, a Stark is literally king. Get over yourself you Cersei 2.

I honestly did not expect Jon to straight up assassinate Danny.

King's Landing sure did get rebuilt fast.

GoT needed time cards. All you gave us was 'Ive had a few weeks to think'? Again, you cut away from reactions we needed to see. Finding out of Danny's death was important.

Agema said:
"Hey, we need a new king."

"I've got an idea: let's pick someone with no experience of ruling and probably unable to reproduce due to his injury thereby giving us a potential succession crisis in a few decades."

"Er... hooray?"
They literally laughed at the concept of democracy. Plus this noble council has fucking Edmund Tully and Sansa on it, and...was that supposed to be Robin Arryn? Council of fools.

trunkage said:
Agema said:

"I've got an idea: let's pick someone with no experience of ruling and probably unable to reproduce due to his injury thereby giving us a potential succession crisis in a few decades."

"Er... hooray?"
Bran KNEW everything that was going to happen. Including the slaughter at King's Landing. He knew thousand would die, but let it happen so he could take the throne.

What a stupid ending.
Pre-determined fate is a stupid plot device. I wish more things would actively write against it. It is nihilistic to think everything happens in only one unalterable way.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Eacaraxe said:
CM156 said:
My question is the same. For what purpose? The wildlings are severely reduced in number and likely won't be a problem in future. And the White Walkers are all dead. There doesn't seem to be much of a purpose in having a wall, let alone people to watch it.
I think the point was, Grey Worm didn't know that. The dumb ball-less bastard drug Tyrion out before a council of his own countrymen for a trial when his own outnumbered forces now occupied the least defensible and most treacherous position in Westeros, knowing full well how trying him works out for the accused. He literally stood there and let Tyrion talk his way into picking his own judge and jury, then stood there looking like somebody cut his cock off all over again when it didn't go his way.
Isn't that just his usual look? But yeah, he was never the sharpest knife so I was surprised that convincing him to spare Jon Snow was such a pivotal moment. Rather would have seen the dothraki army crumble after Dany's demise than this ehm (pun intended) impotent successor making demands.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
stroopwafel said:
Isn't that just his usual look? But yeah, he was never the sharpest knife so I was surprised that convincing him to spare Jon Snow was such a pivotal moment. Rather would have seen the dothraki army crumble after Dany's demise than this ehm (pun intended) impotent successor making demands.
My favorite part of that whole thing was Grey Worm acting like the Unsullied and Dothraki occupying the ruins of King's Landing was any sort of bargaining chip or leverage. King's Landing is said to be about as large as Paris or London, and had a population of a million. If Dany's speech scene showed all that remained of the forces still loyal to her, that was at most two thousand people to defend and maintain the peace across an entire city that size...a daunting task, even if the city was at peace, and in one piece.

Let's go with a wild-ass, hopelessly optimistic, number of the people who were killed or driven off by Dany burning the city: 80% of its population. Even if one out of every five people stayed, that's a 100-to-1 odds in favor of the very angry, very desperate, smallfolk who had already been on the brink of revolt for years. And the Unsullied and Dothraki aren't very good at suppressing peasant revolts, as we saw in Slavers' Bay. And no more dragons, so they'd have to fight "fair" for once.

And, if the throwaway line at the start of the scene is accurate, King's Landing is surrounded and besieged by the combined remaining forces of Westeros by sea and land. Meanwhile, Dany destroyed the city's fortifications and defenses, too, which means the position couldn't be held even if the Unsullied and Dothraki had sufficient numbers. Probably burnt most of the food and other supplies in the city in the course of it.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Agema said:

"Er... hooray?"
To be fair, I think there have been dafter succession decisions in history. Bran being elected King makes sense insofar as he's the least objectionable to the other Lords and the fact he can't have children means that other noble families could have a shot at kingship when he passes. It also means that while the North may be an independent kingdom it means they are still tied to Westeros through an alliance. I agree it's likely to lead to a sucession crisis, but that might well suit the Lords. There might also be an expectation that a crippled boy king isn't going to demand much from them.

Obviously the most rational choice for king would have been Jon. It seemed in that meeting that appointing Jon as king would have meant war with the Unsullied, so at that point it made sense not to appoint him but exile him instead in order to satisfy the Unsullied. However then the Unsullied decide to bugger off somewhere the rationale for Jon's punishment appears moot to me, unless I've missed something. Who's seriously going to enforce his exile if the Unsullied are gone? Are either of his two siblings going to really give a toss if Jon starts bedding Wildlings and living it up beyond the Wall? Its not like Bran will be leaving any heirs to compete for succession against Jon's hypothetical offspring. Knowing Jon though, he'd still abide by the terms of the exile even if it is all pretty pointless. It's almost as if everyone has fobbed off Grey Worm and his Unsullied to get Jon out of jail, which to me wouldn't seem a hard thing to do. His character never struck me as being the sharpest spear in the phalanx, so to speak.

This contradiction aside, It's an ending I'd personally be happy with If I were living in that world. The North gets the independence they wanted, ruled by Sansa who has proved herself capable of governing and has the loyalty of her subjects. The only issue I foresee is marriage- she has a bit of an Elizabeth I problem, and funnily enough Sophie Turner kind of looks like her. I get the feeling Bran's going to be preoccupied with Warging and other mystical stuff whilst Tyreon gets on with actually running the Six Kingdoms and is essentially the real power behind the throne, which I don't see as a bad thing. I think you could well get a decade or two of peace and prosperity in Westeros given how the show ended.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Eacaraxe said:
CM156 said:

Grey Worm is lucky he, the Unsullied, and the twelve remaining Dothraki were allowed to part Westeros, in peace, as free men. You know, only for Grey Worm to order sailing straight for Plague Island. Is it that much of a stretch they conned Grey Worm into believing that giving Jon everything he actually wanted, was a punishment?

I mean, the only thing keeping Westeros from another, bigger, even bloodier civil war at this point is Bran's Tree-Leto powers. He granted his family's domain independence to be ruled by his sister, but not Dorne or the Iron Islands which actually have standing armies and navies at this point, and appointed a lowborn sellsword Warden of the Reach. Not to mention naming the most hated man in Westeros Hand, and a disinherited noble of an eradicated House who is a deserter of both Night's Watch and Maester order, and a thief, Grand Maester. Bare minimum, Dorne's in a fantastic position to wage a war of independence and win, nothing stops the Ironborn from Reaving. Fucking. Everything., and the Reach is likely to rebel against Bronn to install one of their own as Warden.
It burns my brisket that Grey Worm got away with his war crimes without even something so minor as a slap on the wrist. At least he's taking the rest of his followers to an island where their skin will melt off due to toxic butterflies.

I wonder what will happen to the cities of slavers bay. After all, part of her enforcement of peace came from the fact that she threatened to return with her dragons. Now, two of those dragons are dead, and she's also gone. What's to stop them from re-instituting slavery?

At least Ghost was reunited with his master. Good boy.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
CM156 said:
Eacaraxe said:
CM156 said:

It burns my brisket that Grey Worm got away with his war crimes without even something so minor as a slap on the wrist. At least he's taking the rest of his followers to an island where their skin will melt off due to toxic butterflies.

I wonder what will happen to the cities of slavers bay. After all, part of her enforcement of peace came from the fact that she threatened to return with her dragons. Now, two of those dragons are dead, and she's also gone. What's to stop them from re-instituting slavery?

Lots of people got away with their war crimes. Everyone likes to casually forget that Tormund slaughtered multiple villages of innocent people just to piss off The Night's Watch.

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
Saelune said:
CM156 said:
Eacaraxe said:
CM156 said:

Lots of people got away with their war crimes. Everyone likes to casually forget that Tormund slaughtered multiple villages of innocent people just to piss off The Night's Watch.
I've never forgiven him for that. And it's why I don't blame Olly and the others who despise specific wildlings. They have good cause.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
CM156 said:
She took almost all her armies, her dragons, and what few ships she had, and left Slaver's Bay the charge of a sellsword company led by a man she dumped like a hangover shit. I like to think it took all of five minutes after her dragons disappeared over the horizon, for the Second Sons to take a nice huge payday, loot what else they could, and leave Slaver's Bay to be reconquered by the Masters. The Second Sons didn't become one of the oldest and most infamous sellsword companies in Essos by being the kind of idiots to stand behind an impossible situation with no promise of pay.

The only way that shit could be funnier, is if the "Euron = Daario" theories were true, and Dany was leaving the "liberated" slaves to be mass sacrificed in some occult ritual for a pirate king from half the world away to achieve godhood.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Fuck-a-luck-a-ding-dong, what hot garbage that was. Maybe it was due to the lack of battle scenes to showcase D&D's retardation or just good ol' Stockholm syndrome, but this episode was perhaps the best of the season. Which REALLY isn't saying much.

Credit where credit is due, this is probably as good a finale as we could have hoped for with the fucking shambles this show became. Apart from THAT THING but we'll get to it. It used good direction, good acting, good cinematography and overall good filmmaking to mask the countless logical holes that are left in the continuum. Focusing on the smallest possible number of characters gave it at least some sense of closure, or at least convinced me in the moment of having some. I especially appreciated the lack of music in the first half, mostly in the scene where Jon and Tyrion are discussing Jon's fate. Allowing the audience to form an emotional reaction on their own instead of hinting at one via music is a level of respect for the audience I haven't expected from this show in years.

But let's stop beating around the bush: this finale was a total fucking trainwreck. I'd heard the leak about Bran so I was prepared for it, but I still hoped until the last moment that it would turn out to be false. But no, Westeros gets a king in the most retarded way possible, all the lords are persuaded by the most retarded reasoning possible, and all sense of theme is thrown out the window onto a curb littered with broken glass, then set on fire, dragged through 50 miles of shit-strewn streets, dumped in the ocean, eaten by piranhas and left rotting in its watery grave. This should be a career ender for anyone, but D&D will keep trucking on. Whatever stilted emotional reaction the show managed to get out of me was entirely due to the fact that I've been watching this show since I was still living with my parents watching the first season on DVD late at night on my laptop and falling in love with it. And the fact that as the credits rolled I was reliving some of those memories: the night when I finished season 2 and literally couldn't sleep afterwards out of excitement. Watching season 4 while on my way to vacation on a beautiful summer's day.

Game of Thrones S8 should be a case study in the age old adage: you can make a bad movie out of a good script, but you can't make a good movie out of a bad one.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
bartholen said:
Fuck-a-luck-a-ding-dong, what hot garbage that was. Maybe it was due to the lack of battle scenes to showcase D&D's retardation or just good ol' Stockholm syndrome, but this episode was perhaps the best of the season. Which REALLY isn't saying much.

Credit where credit is due, this is probably as good a finale as we could have hoped for with the fucking shambles this show became. Apart from THAT THING but we'll get to it. It used good direction, good acting, good cinematography and overall good filmmaking to mask the countless logical holes that are left in the continuum. Focusing on the smallest possible number of characters gave it at least some sense of closure, or at least convinced me in the moment of having some. I especially appreciated the lack of music in the first half, mostly in the scene where Jon and Tyrion are discussing Jon's fate. Allowing the audience to form an emotional reaction on their own instead of hinting at one via music is a level of respect for the audience I haven't expected from this show in years.

But let's stop beating around the bush: this finale was a total fucking trainwreck. I'd heard the leak about Bran so I was prepared for it, but I still hoped until the last moment that it would turn out to be false. But no, Westeros gets a king in the most retarded way possible, all the lords are persuaded by the most retarded reasoning possible, and all sense of theme is thrown out the window onto a curb littered with broken glass, then set on fire, dragged through 50 miles of shit-strewn streets, dumped in the ocean, eaten by piranhas and left rotting in its watery grave. This should be a career ender for anyone, but D&D will keep trucking on. Whatever stilted emotional reaction the show managed to get out of me was entirely due to the fact that I've been watching this show since I was still living with my parents watching the first season on DVD late at night on my laptop and falling in love with it. And the fact that as the credits rolled I was reliving some of those memories: the night when I finished season 2 and literally couldn't sleep afterwards out of excitement. Watching season 4 while on my way to vacation on a beautiful summer's day.

Game of Thrones S8 should be a case study in the age old adage: you can make a bad movie out of a good script, but you can't make a good movie out of a bad one.
Season 4 for me was where it all fell apart. It just didn't had the same quality as the first 3. Despite the fact that parts of Season 4 were in Book 3.

Oh well....Your move Amazon's Lord of the Rings, Netflix's Witcher, and whatever other Fantasy TV shows and movies coming out of the wood work.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
CM156 said:
Saelune said:
CM156 said:
Eacaraxe said:
CM156 said:

I've never forgiven him for that. And it's why I don't blame Olly and the others who despise specific wildlings. They have good cause.
Olly killed Jon, not Tormund. Fuck Olly.

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
Saelune said:
CM156 said:
Saelune said:
CM156 said:
Eacaraxe said:
CM156 said:

Olly killed Jon, not Tormund. Fuck Olly.
Jon basically pardoned all the wildlings despite their reeving of the mostly defenseless peasants. Olly's stabbing was entirely predictable.

Eacaraxe said:
She took almost all her armies, her dragons, and what few ships she had, and left Slaver's Bay the charge of a sellsword company led by a man she dumped like a hangover shit. I like to think it took all of five minutes after her dragons disappeared over the horizon, for the Second Sons to take a nice huge payday, loot what else they could, and leave Slaver's Bay to be reconquered by the Masters. The Second Sons didn't become one of the oldest and most infamous sellsword companies in Essos by being the kind of idiots to stand behind an impossible situation with no promise of pay.
I would find that to be grimly funny. For all of Dany and her talk of "breaking the wheel" she's unable to make any of her plans actually stick. Let's not forget Seasons 3 and 4 where she was basically George W. Bush.

Granted, Bush never ordered anyone crucified.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
Poor Edmure Tully....AKA Brutus in Game of Thrones.
I'm surprised they even remembered he existed. And that's not even mentioning Roslin and his son.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Poor Edmure Tully....AKA Brutus in Game of Thrones.
I'm surprised they even remembered he existed. And that's not even mentioning Roslin and his son.
Yeah and where the fuck was he during the Battle of Winterfell? You think he would send more support for his Nephew and Nieces?

And Robin Arryn is now a MAN.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
In body only.

Emotionally, he's probably still a little shit.

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Yeah and where the fuck was he during the Battle of Winterfell? You think he would send more support for his Nephew and Nieces?

He grew big and strong from his mother's breast milk

Just like Torumnd

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
The End....House Stark won it all.

Quite the reversal from the Red Wedding.

Quite the reversal from what happened in the ending of Season 1.
As the Escapist article about How it is better to die a Stark then to live a Lannister. Neddard and Robb may not have lived to see the Stark win the game of thrones but almost every action was made to teach the young wolves to survive.

Still rooted for Lannister and accepted defeat when their luck ran out

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
So, now that this is over apparently, should one read the books or watch the show? I was waiting until either the last book or last tv episode had come out before deciding to get into this.

I know some people are angry that the blond girl went crazy or something because the tv series diverges from the book with regards to darkness and characterization but somehow retains the same ending as the book but I wonder if that's alleviated if you just read the book.