Game of Thrones Made Audiences Complicit in Daenerys’ Carnage

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Our In the Frame columnist, Darren Mooney, wrote a very compelling piece on the end of Game of Thrones. Worth a read and a discussion I think!

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I think perhaps the most reasonable argument I heard regarding this was from "Hello Future Me" (key part coming in around 23:30) that while "Mad Queen" Daenerys would likely work as a culmination of the arc for Daenerys as she appears in the books - which have put in the legwork to justify it - it doesn't really work for the Daenerys of the show. The show simply did not sufficiently set that up for this to be a satisfying conclusion for her. That it is instead better for her to come to the brink of that decision, where torching the Red Keep would secure victory, and in that final temptation, refusing that route, and losing because of that decision. I think he phrased it pretty succinctly, so I'm just going to quote him directly here.

The overarching theme of Daenerys's story is that the moral leader is not necessarily the best one...though Dany may have freed the slaves and defended the weak, virtually every city she has ever ruled - especially in the books - has ended up worse off than before her supposed liberation, through corruption, insurgency, starvation, and disease. The greatest challenge of her story is that she has found that being a good leader means compromising her moral character. And faced with this ultimate test, it's more consistent with her character in the show, and more meaningful to her arc for her to end in keeping her morality by giving up the throne and proving she is not her father, as people feared.

This also gives more meaning to her vision from Season Two. She doesn't just never reach the Iron Throne, she chooses to turn away from it.
I'd go further and say that the Mad Queen angle fell flat because of how they'd set her up to be a foil to Cersei. We see their similarity in their ambition and willingness to play "the game", but there's a profound contrast in everything from their relationships with their brothers to how they treat their subjects. Whereas Cersei antagonizes her subjects and sees them as tools for her political ambition, Daenerys let her empathy for her subjects guide her in a way that frequently blew up in her face. And that's something that was carried all the way to Season 8. Whereas Daenerys shelved her ambitions to fully commit to the war against the Others and protect life, Cersei withheld the promised aid to that same fight, risking the lives of literally everyone in a gamble she thought would let her secure the throne for herself.

The icing on the cake, of course, is that this recurring contrast between them basically spells out why Daenerys torching King's Landing should have been off the table. Cersei already did that, and while there's enormous power in a foil refusing to cross that same line, having them suddenly break their contrast for "Round 2" of the same - but greater - atrocity does not make for a satisfying final act.

Last edited:

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Even when she executes the two noble men in S7 by burning them to death for not bending the knee, the show can't present this as neutral or negative but has to include some fist pumping (which put me off, because the scene was framed as positive and I was appalled).
I actually hold the opposite view. The execution was portrayed far more negatively by the plot then it deserved. Tyrion and Varys are clearly spooked by it and see the ghost of the mad king in Danny's actions. Except Danny had given the Tarlys multiple chances to just bend the knee or even accept other punishment. Lord Tarly kept refusing it. He certainly didn't earn the repeated attempt for mercy considering he was a traitor who engineered the death of Danny's allies, turning on his liege family and serving the sociopath who wiped them out purely because he found people from the east to be icky. Yet Danny gave him the chance to bend the knee and live, then was open to advice about merely exiling him to the north him despite all Tarly had done.