Game of Thrones, Prince Oberyn Nymeros Martell in the TV show. *SPOILERS*

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Zhukov said:
In the books he took part in the trial by combat for a chance to kill The Mountain to avenge the deaths of his family members during the rebellion.

He didn't give the slightest of shits for Tyrion's innocence.
pretty much nailed it. oberyn was there for dorne, and for revenge. everything else that factored in to it was either coincidence or a convenient advantage (tyrion being allies with dorne could have been helpful for myrcella's claim to the throne).

you seemed to have missed the meanings behind oberyn's character

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Zhukov said:
Nimzabaat said:
It was absolutely tragic that he gets killed trying to defend Tyrion?s innocence.
What?

In the books he took part in the trial by combat for a chance to kill The Mountain to avenge the deaths of his family members during the rebellion.

He didn't give the slightest of shits for Tyrion's innocence.
Dude you're supposed to spoiler that bit. I did. Though apparently there are some people who don't understand that spoiler means... spoilers. So... I guess you're good :)

Anyways the book character was trying to get some payback which is very true. However the book character may not have been a saint but he was at least likeable. The TV character (so far) is just a douche that should be hanging out with Joffre doing douchey things together. "Wanna shoot some whores Joff? Let me poison your crossbow for you..." And what some people don't realize is that first impressions actually matter.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Oberyn Martell is called "The Red Viper" for a reason, he wasn't exactly a good guy in the book. He's known for having an extreme temper, despising the Lannisters, sleeping with lots of people, and killing lots of people with horrible poisons. So far he's matching up to his book-established personality quite well, I think.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Okay so from reading the responses, I stand corrected. I'll spoiler tag the rest because some people still don't get the spoiler thing. So this is for people who have read at least the first four books.
My impression of Oberyn in the books was that he was a somewhat sympathetic character. In the duel between Oberyn and the Mountain, I thought that the audience is supposed to root for Oberyn. However as people have kindly pointed out, I misread that and he was in fact supposed to be more hateable than any of the preceding characters in the series so far (because there are more books in the works). Therefore the audience is supposed to be cheering when the Mountain bashes Oberyn's face in. In which case the casting and portrayal of Oberyn is, as i've been told, precisely in line with what was intended and what everyone else read.
My bad. Thanks everybody :)

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
Okay so from reading the responses, I stand corrected. I'll spoiler tag the rest because some people still don't get the spoiler thing. So this is for people who have read at least the first four books.
My impression of Oberyn in the books was that he was a somewhat sympathetic character. In the duel between Oberyn and the Mountain, I thought that the audience is supposed to root for Oberyn. However as people have kindly pointed out, I misread that and he was in fact supposed to be more hateable than any of the preceding characters in the series so far (because there are more books in the works). Therefore the audience is supposed to be cheering when the Mountain bashes Oberyn's face in. In which case the casting and portrayal of Oberyn is, as i've been told, precisely in line with what was intended and what everyone else read.
Er...

Now you're just taking it to the other extreme.

One of the biggest conceits of the Song of Ice & Fire series is that pretty much every character except for Eddard Stark is morally grey, so they're all (more or less) likable and hateable in their own ways. Oberyn is not exactly a "sympathetic" character in the grand narrative of the actual story, but he is a more sympathetic character than Gregor Clegane.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Nimzabaat said:
What is the point of this sullen reaction to perfectly on-point feedback to your OP? You misread the character of Oberyn Martell. I'm not sure how there can be a lot of debate on that point.

He was a notorious hot-head and almost peerless rabble-rouser/troublemaker, suspected of poisoning his enemies and infamous in the Reach for "accidentally" crippling the heir to Highgarden. His bastard daughters are all spies, upstarts and revolutionaries. He comes to Kings Landing in his brother's place seeking retribution, but where Doran wanted him to play the long con, he...in typical Oberyn fashion...couldn't hold back on escalating things when he saw an opportunity. He defends Tyrion's "honor" because it gives him an opportunity to fight the Mountain and shout his accusations in an extremely public venue. Tyrion's life or death is of little import to him...the Martells HATE the Lannisters, and not without cause. You don't "root" for the Mountain...Gregor Clegane is on a short list of the most evil characters in the books. You root for Oberyn. Because you're sympathetic to Tyrion and want him to live, because you hate Gregor/Cersei and want the Lannisters to fail, because the fight is a mirror of Bronn vs Vardis Egan and you're expecting history to repeat itself, etc, etc. Not because Oberyn Martell is an affable pureheart out to save the virtue of innocent Dwarves. What books were you reading?

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Yeah Oberyn was always an ass. Not a completely unlikable ass, but he was never in it for anything other than his own vengeance. Remember when he was talking to Tyrion and made him relive when Cersei tortured him as an infant? And mocked him for it?

He was funny, sometimes likable, but never a hero.
Exactly! That was the Oberyn I read in the books. That was my point. We were supposed to like him, even if only just a little. When the duel happens you're supposed to root for Oberyn because as a side benefit Tyrion gets to go free, but also because he's a little likeable. This guy i'm watching in the show isn't funny, isn't likeable, and after those two I really don't care if he's a hero or not.
BloatedGuppy said:
What is the point of this sullen reaction to perfectly on-point feedback to your OP? You misread the character of Oberyn Martell. I'm not sure how there can be a lot of debate on that point.
Please don't attribute a particular tone where none exists. I never said I was sullen, simply that I apparently misread the character.

Not because Oberyn Martell is an affable pureheart out to save the virtue of innocent Dwarves. What books were you reading?
The Oberyn I read wasn't a pureheart, those are your words. He wasn't a hero, a poisoner is a coward by definition. He was likeable though. Tyrion liked him. I liked him. It's just that they've gone out of their way to in the show to make sure nobody could like him. That's all i'm saying. It just seems that a lot of people hated the character already whereas I didn't.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I too think the impression of Oberyn that the OP has from the books, is simply the wrong one.
More so than the series being wrong about him.

Besides, I thought he was pretty badass in the first episode.

Apr 5, 2008
They over-simplified a glorified plot device? Whatever will come next? Maybe they'll start killing off main characters too...oh wait.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
Godlikebuthumble said:
Reaper195 said:
The only downside to him so far is that everyone from Dorne isn't black. I can't place their accent (Not being a travelled man), but it seems like they're trying to make Dorne seem more like Mexico.
Black? Well, the only reliably black guys in the books were from the Summer Isles or (likely) the continent of Sothyros. The Dornish seemed mostly to have Moorish (think Morocco/Southern Spain) influences. With varying parts of Westerosi and Rhoynar (who came from Essos) mixed in, depending on whih part of Dorne they hail from. So, ethnically, they could be anything from indistinguishable from the other Westerosi, to kinda "Latin" to "Moor". "Mediterranean" would be vaguely fitting.

For comparison, dream castings tended to favor somebody along the lines of a young Antonio Banderas, or Oded Fehr:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32700000/El-Mariachi-antonio-banderas-32781037-649-1000.jpg
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTk1NDA3MDI1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTEzMjE2._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg
I found it also interesting that Dorne uses a succession system where firstborns inherit regardless of gender, whereas all other succession systems in Westeros use a male-favored system. This was a system that was really only used in Navarra by the Basques.

Overall, they certainly feel like they have quite a bit of Spain in them, in addition to a Moor/Arabic feel. Which seems normal and similar to all the other cultures in GoT. Not a single one is just a straight relocated culture.

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
what i found funny about the episode was its seeming subplot of 'cockblock'... but that's probably just me...

i'm curious to see how this guy turns out (not read books but i've already pretty much had everything spoiled, but i like spoilers :p) but from what sounds to me it does seem he'd be more for fighting the mountain for revenge chance then 'saving' anyone... that's probably just a karmic bonus... but we'll see :3

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
As a person who DOES watch the show, we've seen like three minutes of this guy. Give him a chance to establish himself first.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Pretty certain that Oberyn chose to defend Tyrion to get back at the Mountain and not to defend Tyrion's innocence. In fact, I remember that he was always an ass towards Tyrion at almost every turn. Either an ass or extremely honest.