Game Of Thrones RPG Details Emerge

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Game Of Thrones RPG Details Emerge

Not only will the Game of Thrones RPG include new characters (who might be included in the books), but the game will provide an in-depth look at the world of Westeros.

While the existence of a Game of Thrones RPG has been known for a while, details have been pretty scarce up until now. Cyanide Studio, which is working with publisher Atlus on the game, today released a trailer and a lot of information about the title. I'm not going to lie: The game look like it could very well make up for the disappointment that was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9169-A-Game-of-Thrones-Genesis-Review>Game of Thrones: Genesis.

The game will have you playing as Mors Westfold and Alester Sarwyck, two original characters who don't appear in the novels (though George R. R. Martin has said he might mention them and/or the game's storyline in his later books). Mors is a sworn brother in the Night's Watch, while Alester is a Red Priest. The two characters proceed along parallel stories that players will switch between, and it sounds like they'll play very differently from each other:

Mors is a skinchanger and can slip into his dog to find secret paths or to listen in on conversations, and he can even follow a character's tracks through scent. Alester is a red priest who can set fire on his sword using wildfire, he can look into the flames to find secrets, at higher levels, can use certain fire-based magic.

While Mors and Alester have set appearances (which, admittedly, look pretty good as rendered by the Unreal Engine), it's being reported that their abilities and fighting styles are extremely customizable. Finally, the game sounds like it's going to be pretty substantial, with a story that crosses much of Westeros including The Wal and King's Landing. Players will meet characters like Queen Cersei, Varys the Spider, and Jeor Mormont (Lord Commander of the Night's Watch).

You can visit the RPG's official site here. Exactly when game is set to launch hasn't been revealed yet, though "early 2012" seems to be the projected date; the RPG will be available for PC, PS3, and 360. The overall length is expected to be somewhere around 30 hours of gameplay, though it remains to be seen how much of this time will be spent <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYNeT2nzEgA>slapping Joffrey Baratheon in the face.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-21-game-of-thrones-rpg-details-revealed>Eurogamer and <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cagSl3rgM2Q>Coming Soon Cinemas

pirateninj4

Apr 6, 2009
Wiiiicked.

I am pretty stoked they're getting this one done, only time will tell if it will be any good. Doi.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
*Places hands together and falls to his knees in prayer that this game will be good*

Please make this game good. For all things in the universe, make it good!

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
"Thwart the plot that threatens the kingdom" heavily implies that there is only one plot. This is silly talk. There are at least 13 plots threatening the kingdom in the first book alone.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
30 hours? I was hoping it would be open-world. Unless they are just referring to the main story campaign.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Eh. Seeing how every single lower-budget western RPG has turned out this year, and after Genesis, I'm not getting my hopes up. I expect to be not at all surprised when it gets average reviews for being too short and having repetitive combat.

Unless it ends up being awesome, but hey, the only way I'll be surprised is in a good way.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
beefpelican said:
"Thwart the plot that threatens the kingdom" heavily implies that there is only one plot. This is silly talk. There are at least 13 plots threatening the kingdom in the first book alone.
Indeed. And you get to foil one of them. What I'd like to know is how they'll fit it into the existing books without making it meaningless. Also, kinda feels like a forgone conclusion...

BlueJoneleth

Feb 8, 2011
Phlakes said:
Eh. Seeing how every single western RPG that doesn't have Bioware or Bethesda (EDIT: Yeah, Dragon Age 2, whatever, moving on) attached to it has turned out this year, and after Genesis, I'm not getting my hopes up. I expect to be not at all surprised when it gets average reviews for being too short and having repetitive combat.

Unless it ends up being awesome, but hey, the only way I'll be surprised is in a good way.
The Witcher 2 is great, though it's not for everyone. :)

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Ugh. I'm calling it folks, this game will either be a complete flop, or disappointingly average.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Let's hope it's as good as The Witcher 2 supposedly is (I haven't played it yet). It's the only other successful book-to-game adaptation I've heard of. And GoT even looks a bit like The Witcher 2 (without all the sex).

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Darth_Dude said:
Ugh. I'm calling it folks, this game will either be a complete flop, or disappointingly average.
You must be psychic.
Kidding. It does feel a bit "war in the north" doesn't it?
It wasn't rushed to go along with the book or the tv series and thats a good sign.
It's definitely going on the rental list, my wife and I are deep in book 3 right now.

Nice video: both the trailer and the one with the brat getting smacked repeatedly.

In the youtube description it says it will "now" have an open world but as the description goes on I think it's a typo and it was supposed to say "not" open world. Too bad, that would be a pretty cool world for a Skyrimish type of game that you can get lost in and make your own game.

Mister Six

Aug 16, 2010
See from what I've heard bout the game is the George R.R. Martin is directly involved with it, so here's hoping the story works.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
wait wait wait
the trailer showed the red priest walking up to a corpse, does that mean i can set joffrey and his mum on fire, revive them adn do it again?

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Looks pretty decent, certainly more promising than that RTS thing. It sounds like they've being genuinely inventive with finding compelling abilities and play styles for the game from what's already in the books, hopefully that attitude extends to the story as well. I was going to hope for a prequel, but the presence of Varys and Cersei seems to preclude that.

Also, written in conjunction with George RR Martin? Don't make me laugh. He can't even keep up with writing the actual books.

If nothing else, at least we get a nice remix of the Game of Thrones theme tune.

GonzoGamer said:
Too bad, that would be a pretty cool world for a Skyrimish type of game that you can get lost in and make your own game.
"I used to be an adventurer like you, then I was raped by a knight still wearing his full plate armor and his whole pack of hunting dogs and thrown in a dungeon and castrated and had all of my fingers skinned and then cut off and then I was forced to eat them and then I took an arrow in the knee..."

Feb 11, 2009
Well, the game's story is obviously set somewhere near the Storm of Swords khem khem...

&#65293;&#65293;&#65293;

plugav said:
And GoT even looks a bit like The Witcher 2 (without all the sex).
Are you sure we are talking about the same Game of Thrones?

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I adhere to the school of Yahtzee; I WILL NOT BE OPTIMISTIC!

Seriously, though, if Martin helped write the story, it won't be terrible. The only thing that can ruin the story is piss poor voice acting. If the gameplay ends up adequate, it'll probably be a buy for me, though probably used.