Game of Thrones Season 4 Ep 8 "The Mountain and the Viper" Review

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Well that victory went right to his head......
You could say that the Mountain is a head on kinda guy.....
Guess all that ego made him lose his head......

Oh god its so horrible I need to make puns or else I will go crawl into a hole and start crying really.
I mean...I knew it was coming I saw that.
"Oh god kill em! NO KILL HIM! STAY AWAY!!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!! AHAGHAH!"

I was certainly glad I was not planning on eating that night.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
If all the deaths are bringing people down I can give a vague spoiler that might bring comfort
If what I think happens next happens the net death of important characters in the last two episodes should be zero
Though I suppose that might depend on how important you think sunbro is

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Oberyn was such a cool cat. O wells, "no one is safe" is the motto and so the show must go on.

Guess i'll have to root for Stannis Baratheon lol

Still thought it was funny that the man they picked to play the Mountain looks like a giant teddy bear! Icelandic strong men just look like they are super nice people. Why didn't they keep the guy that played the mountain the first time?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
shiajun said:
I haven't read the books, I'm just following the show, but I'm actually starting to wonder if I can. It's all so exhausting. I'm getting flashbacks to the last seasons of Lost when nothing seemed to be adding up and you knew time was running out. Here, it's the feeling that there's no end-game at all in this narrative, and Martin seems to be almost making it up as he goes and that he has no idea what to do in the end. So, feeling like everything could keep spinning in tragedy for infinity is a little bit disheartening, specially when every character that actually has a concrete agenda and the means to put an end to some of the chaos gets butchered again and again. If I was reading the books (and they are freakishly long books) I would have given up by now.

Oberyn was great as character, and in the fight the spear handling brings a much needed diversity to the same old swordplay. I don't know what the aftermath will be, but I just hope Dorne allies itself with Daenerys (being a Targaryen and all that) and finally makes those almost separate chuncks of the story come together. Somewhere in the back of my mind I was facfictioning those two as a rocking King and Queen, dragons and spears and southern culture ruling the drabiness of much of Westeros.
I think it's important to think about the bigger picture of why this happens in the narrative. With the war petered out a lot of the tension has been deflated. This brings a new players, Dorne, into the mix. Remember that they only recently shipped off Myrcella there and now Dorne's much beloved prince has died. It's a way to crank the dials back up again.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Be careful with that spear Oberyn, you could poke your eyes out.
Ouch... that's what happens when you lose your head in a fight.
I guess he should have kept his eyes on the target.
You know, I knew from the beginning Oberyn was in way over his head.
It's true what they say, the Mountain is basically a force of nature, just attacking head on.

Anyone else feel like listening to some Smashing Pumpkins?

JackyG

Jun 26, 2011
What the hell are you all talking about!? This is the ending that I saw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8oOi6JOXEQ&feature=youtu.be

Advfreak

Jun 12, 2014
They said "spread the word" and it's worth it:

https://www.facebook.com/UnwrittenTales/photos/a.296555570411262.69115.157096307690523/731928916873923/?type=1