Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 2 Review "The Lion and the Rose"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Game of Thrones Season 4 Episode 2 Review "The Lion and the Rose"

There?s a lot to say about the latest twists in HBO?s crazy story.

Read Full Article

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
I'm actually curious to see how they handle the next few seasons. With the way the timelines of books 4 and 5 intersect and cross, it seems like they could just go and do it all chronologically ,and have those two books take up like, 4 seasons or more (they are both quite dense in terms of stuff going on).

After that, well, let's all pray to our respective deities that Martin has finished the last two books by then. I just finished book 5, and after the way it ended, he needs to hurry on up. I gotta find out what happens next.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
It's not like Tommen really does anything. He's a doormat in the book and all he's good for is playing with the Royal Seal.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
It's not like Tommen really does anything. He's a doormat in the book and all he's good for is playing with the Royal Seal.
That's very true. This recap makes it sound like they've somehow failed in translating Tommen to the TV screen, but he's just as much of a non-entity in the books. Prior to taking the throne he's barely mentioned, and even once he's taken the throne he's mentioned more but is still utterly useless and is only "on-screen" when he's talking about his cats or stamping a document when he's told to.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
I heard the guy who plays Ilyn Payne is sick (cancer), and if so, that's likely why they didn't use him in the role of Jamie's sparring partner.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
RonHiler said:
I heard the guy who plays Ilyn Payne is sick (cancer), and if so, that's likely why they didn't use him in the role of Jamie's sparring partner.
Terminally ill, at that.

They didn't want to recast him out of respect.

Plus, it makes more sense for TV, as Ilyn wasn't very talkative.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I know I was clapping my hands like an excitable circus seal on Christmas morning when I realized Joffrey was FINALLY gonna get his.

That whole reception scene was just painful to watch, and I felt really bad for Tyrion. I couldn't help but get the feeling that the Tyrells were waiting for something to happen to him during that whole time up until his death. That was just the impression I got from the looks on their faces.

In any event, I'm super excited for the next episode which can't get here fast enough! D:

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
As sadistic as this might sound, I was worried that Joffrey's death wouldn't be painful enough. I know it was coming sooner or later but I was worried it wouldn't satisfy me. However I am pleasantly surprised. Might not be as gruesome as some of the things he's done to others but it defiantly looked painful, HIS FACE I love it. I also hate the queen but the actress playing her does such a good job of portraying that stuck up *****. Seeing her yell and scream in despair put a smile on my face. In the words of the queen "It's the little pleasures."

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
In my opinion, the story would be better if Joffrey had survived.

Arya should be the one to kill him. They would have a second fight mirroring the one at the river, except this time they're both adults, and are equipped with swords rather than sticks.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
I really used to like Game of Thrones, and I still do, but seriously, this show became just too convoluted. Too many places, too many characters, too many plot threads, too many themes, and many of them don't seem to be going anywhay. And having read the books - as much of them as I could bear anyway - I know it won't be getting any better...

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I found the episode to be a bit disjointed in the first half, with the Stannis and Bran scenes in particular feeling rushed. This could, however, be just my problem, because I knew exactly what was going to happen in this episode and that it would be at the very end of it. In other words, it made everything that wasn't in King's Landing far less important to me.

That changed with the wedding though. That was brilliantly done, and more or less the same as how it is in the book with a few slight changes here and there. The added interactions between characters, like Oberyn and Ellaria with Cersei and Tywin, were the nice additions I always like to see since we didn't see them in the book. From the dwarf joust on, the episode was almost entirely how it happened in A Storm of Swords, and I had been waiting a long time for this. I was not disappointed.

Though... I didn't have what seems like the "typical" reaction to Joffrey's death scene. I didn't clap, cheer, or celebrate in any way. Despite being a major supporter of the Starks (and by extension a vicious hater of the Freys and Boltons), how Joffrey went out is a horrible way to die, and not something I would ever cheer for. Would I have preferred something else? Yes. Robb, Arya, Sansa, or really any Stark being the one to take him out would have been great.

Joffrey is gone, and even if it wasn't done by who i'd have preferred (but the ones who did do it... awesome), it's still done.

Now to look forward to the rest of the season... because Joffrey's death is the catalyst for the rest of Season 4's King's Landing storyline. And there are scenes coming up I am looking forward to far... far more than Joffrey's death:

Lord Tywin glanced briefly at his dwarf son, then lifted his hand. A dozen trumpeters
blew a fanfare to quiet the crowd. The High Septon shuffled forward in his tall crystal
crown, and prayed that the Father Above would help them in this judgment, and that the
Warrior would lend his strength to the arm of the man whose cause was just. That would
be me
, Tyrion almost shouted, but they would only laugh, and he was sick unto death of
laughter.

Ser Osmund Kettleblack brought Clegane his shield, a massive thing of heavy oak
rimmed in black iron. As the Mountain slid his left arm through the straps, Tyrion saw
that the hounds of Clegane had been painted over. This morning Ser Gregor bore the
seven-pointed star the Andals had brought to Westeros when they crossed the narrow
sea to overwhelm the First Men and their gods. Very pious of you, Cersei, but I doubt
the gods will be impressed

There were fifty yards between them. Prince Oberyn advanced quickly, Ser Gregor more
ominously. The ground does not shake when he walks, Tyrion told himself. That is only
my heart fluttering
. When the two men were ten yards apart, the Red Viper stopped and
called out, "Have they told you who I am?"

Ser Gregor grunted through his breaths. "Some dead man." He came on, inexorable.

The Dornishman slid sideways. "I am Oberyn Martell, a prince of Dorne," he said, as the
Mountain turned to keep him in sight. "Princess Elia was my sister."

"Who?" asked Gregor Clegane.

Oberyn?s long spear jabbed, but Ser Gregor took the point on his shield, shoved it aside,
and bulled back at the prince, his great sword flashing. The Dornishman spun away
untouched. The spear darted forward. Clegane slashed at it, Martell snapped it back,
then thrust again. Metal screamed on metal as the spearhead slid off the Mountain?s
chest, slicing through the surcoat and leaving a long bright scratch on the steel beneath.
"Elia Martell, Princess of Dorne," the Red Viper hissed. "You raped her. You murdered
her. You killed her children."

...and of course a certain scene involving a privvy. :)

Anyway, fun episode, but much more is to come. I'm gonna run away now.

*flees*

BlueJoneleth

Feb 8, 2011
Asclepion said:

Arya should be the one to kill him. They would have a second fight mirroring the one at the river, except this time they're both adults, and are equipped with swords rather than sticks.
There wouldn't be much of a duel, Joffrey is a coward and he's all show, he'll run away after 5 seconds. Arya is on her way to become Westeros' Ezio.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Asclepion said:

No, because his death works as a catalyst for a whole number of other things.

Great respect for the acting of Jack Gleeson though. It's a great feat for a young actor to portray such a hated character in perfect fashion :)

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
The make-up on Jack's face in his final scene was outstanding. I've seen some jokes floating around that they actually killed him for maximum believability. The Bolton's are shaping up to be this season's baddies, though I have read the books and I know that we're in for a lot of drama in King's Landing after the events of the last episode. This season so far has been sensational though, it's on it's way to being the best yet. Can't wait for more!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Asclepion said:
Fdzzaigl said:
It would improve the narrative.
Disagree. Joffrey isn't that important. He never was. Arya is bound for much greater things than a duel with some cowardly brat whose only talent is was to offend everyone he's ever encountered.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
Asclepion said:
Fdzzaigl said:
It would improve the narrative.
Disagree. Joffrey isn't that important. He never was. Arya is bound for much greater things than a duel with some cowardly brat whose only talent is was to offend everyone he's ever encountered.
Indeed, it really wouldn't. The events that will happen in the next few chapters as everyone scurries to find out "whodunnit" start really throwing everything upside down.

Keeping Joffrey alive would mean you start screwing with a whole bunch of things that are going on in the books. The only reason why the show is going so strong is the fact that they remain faithful to the equally strong core material, the moment they throw that overboard they enter the territory of mediocrity.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
What I was disappointed in was the missing dwarf in the comedy troupe. A certain pig riding one...

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I think the entire scene was well done, though I recall from the book that he was in so much pain that he was clawing away at his own throat trying to breath.

Even though Joffrey was a horrible king the death I want to see the most involves someone releasing their bowels upon expiring.