Game of Thrones Season 4 Premiere Review - Catching You Up

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Game of Thrones Season 4 Premiere Review - Catching You Up

There?s a lot going on in HBO?s epic fantasy series, and the first episode of the season four gets the plot back on track before the brutality.

Read Full Article

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I loved loved LOVED the bar fight. It's like a good joke - "So The Hound and Arya walk into a bar." I was just waiting for the punchline, and the end, poetic, now one name scratched off the hitlist. Yea Arya's gonna turn into a little psychopath, but can you blame her? Ok, really, Ed Skrein quit the show, for a Transporter flick? Are they doing it like James Bond now, is Statham not fit for the role or is he too wrapped up in Expendables sequels? I hope that singular paycheck was a big one. Beyond that, a lot of foreshadowing and revisiting, reintroducing the characters, a necessary evil in a show with an ensemble like this. Although seeing the Tyrells joking at the sight of Brienne was comedy gold.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The way Arya's murder of Polliver is shot doesn't feel quite that heroic though. I don't know about you guys, but a little girl reciting words somebody said 2 or 3 months ago as she's coldly sliding a metal rod through his neck isn't pure justice
There's been a slow but growing trend of young girls murdering bad grown men (and boys in this series) in entertainment for the past 10 years or more, and I swear it's nearly a fetish in the way some gleefully portray it.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Nurb said:
The way Arya's murder of Polliver is shot doesn't feel quite that heroic though. I don't know about you guys, but a little girl reciting words somebody said 2 or 3 months ago as she's coldly sliding a metal rod through his neck isn't pure justice
There's been a slow but growing trend of young girls murdering bad grown men (and boys in this series) in entertainment for the past 10 years or more, and I swear it's nearly a fetish in the way some gleefully portray it.
Boohoo :p

OT:
Saw this, enjoyed it fairly thoroughly. Was very hard not to laugh at the Hound and his wise words of poultry and when they slapped on the golden hand on Jamie. Really got thrown off by the cast change of Daario Naharis, but this one seems to give it a bit more flavor, although doesn't look particularly "out there" unlike his predecessor.

Need more. MORE!

SixShooter

Jan 5, 2013
Yeah the Arya scene is meant to be a bit troubling IMO. She begins to become more and more like the hound - like all the killers in the show. It was no longer a case of self-defense, or the reaction to unspeakable provocation (like when she killed the Frey men who had just killed her mother hours before)- this time, it was...fun.

It's very disturbing, and I think one area where the show gets it better than the books, which sort of gloss over this dark side of Arya's story arc.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
SixShooter said:
Yeah the Arya scene is meant to be a bit troubling IMO. She begins to become more and more like the hound - like all the killers in the show. It was no longer a case of self-defense, or the reaction to unspeakable provocation (like when she killed the Frey men who had just killed her mother hours before)- this time, it was...fun.

It's very disturbing, and I think one area where the show gets it better than the books, which sort of gloss over this dark side of Arya's story arc.
I actually think that the book is much darker. The hound is a lot crazier and less gentle in the books and Arya well she is almost like a cold wight when not killing fools. The TV kills give some feeling of heroism, which may indicate that is the audience is the fucked up people.

Meh, maybe in the end it is just two flavors of the basic same crazy.

Nurb said:
I agree. I have falled to that.

I have just played the most recent episode of season 2 of the Walking Dead:

Clementine and Arya would be the best of friends. And, yeah, this is a crossover art idea bait.

I would say it is a sadistic fetish.

The depowerment of a usually powerfull figure (bad grown men)at the hand of should have been a fragile figure (little girl) as a power and revenge fetish. ,

The corruption of a goodness and inocence symbol, a little girl. It goes from a figure that instead of transmiting feelings of protection, of wishing to being more moral and fighting for good to a figure of someone that dropped from their pedestal of morality and it is now crawling in the mud of dark passions with the rest of us laughing.

If you don't think that is power remember how in season 1 of the Walking Dead the mere presence of Clem made a lot of players go to the most moral choice.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Hard to tell from your review of the episode if you even enjoyed or not, Greg. I thought and continue to think, that they are doing the books justice. Arya is not a heroic character, Game of Thrones is not your standard high-fantasy heroic setting. If you believe she should be protected from violence and turned into some kind of noble warrior princess, you're not following the story very closely.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
The whole "cunts name their swords" bit reminds me why I like Game Of Thrones. I am only watching the TV show, so I can't speculate on the books. But a few characters like the hound have this edge of practicality about them. See also "You don't fight with honour!" "No..he did" scene.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I didn't expect to like Oberyn as much as I did..he is quite the badass, I can't wait for that particular fight (you know what it is, it was shown int he trailer).

Overall a very good episode and set up for the future events to come. Now the waiting 'till next week begins.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Well, good to know that this season will continue the long tradition of adding more tits, less subtlety and more shoehorned romance plots. Yay.

Anyone remember season one? Good times, good times.

Also, I'd just like to point out that the Thenns are not cannibals.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
AldUK said:
Hard to tell from your review of the episode if you even enjoyed or not, Greg. I thought and continue to think, that they are doing the books justice. Arya is not a heroic character, Game of Thrones is not your standard high-fantasy heroic setting. If you believe she should be protected from violence and turned into some kind of noble warrior princess, you're not following the story very closely.
I would say I liked the episode as a continuation of the adaptation, but it didn't feel like a premiere episode to get me completely pysched for the rest of the season. I felt like most of the scenes didn't move the story forward, only reminded us of what happened last season.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Greg Tito said:
The way Arya's murder of Polliver is shot doesn't feel quite that heroic though. I don't know about you guys, but a little girl reciting words somebody said 2 or 3 months ago as she's coldly sliding a metal rod through his neck isn't pure justice.
You don't know about us guys eh? Well, I'll go ahead and speak for some of us:

He's reminded of his crime, he pays a price in proportion to it and it's all at the hands of someone involved on the victim's side... Looks like justice to me! A lot of people still believe that retributive justice is `pure` justice, to borrow your word. And personally, I think if she's old enough to understand what he did and that he deserves to die, and strong enough to hold the sword, she's old enough to do the job.

Criminal justice aside, I was hoping all through the break between season 3 and season 4 that they wouldn't do the whole recapping-through-dialogue thing. Just rely on people to remember and assume those who don't will catch up. They will if they want to know what's going on!

The exposition imposed so badly on the episode that I'd almost like the blu-ray to cut it down to just the Jaime X Tywin, Tyrion X Oberyn and Ayra X Hound scenes and go straight to episode 2. Leave the rest out.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
"I understand that if any more words come pouring out your **** mouth, I'm gonna have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."
Funniest thing I have ever heard.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
The bar scene was great, though I feel like they tacked on two or three guys? I only recall the Hound fighting three guys in the books, and then it was incredibly close. Here it feels like he's dropping 5 guys no problem. They also merged the rape story that Arya overhears at the harrenhaal? Seems odd, but I guess it worked out in some way.

Other than this and Oberyn being introduced everything else was a huge bore.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
softclocks said:
Other than this and Oberyn being introduced everything else was a huge bore.
Ahhh, so it's Oberyn. I kept hearing Ogryn.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Did anyone else felt like there was a huge timeskipped inbetween the seasons? Jamie said it has only been weeks since he arrived back in King Landing and he look competely different without his hobo look! Daario was recast so he look different anyway, Podrick look like he worked out abit and the dragons are bigger now! Lastly it took 1/2 seasons for that former knigh turned fool to give his thanks to Sansa?

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Hunter85792 said:
Well, good to know that this season will continue the long tradition of adding more tits, less subtlety and more shoehorned romance plots. Yay.

Anyone remember season one? Good times, good times.
The sexual content has actually decreased with each season, so I don't see why you would look to Season 1 as an example of it being less gratuitous. XD I was so proud of the show when season 3 rolled around, they would actually make it through entire EPISODES with no sex. It must have taken a lot of restraint.

Seriously, though, I have high hopes for this season. More Jaime, more Stannis, and some Martel action.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"For many, this may be the first hint our little Arya may be more than what she seems, and none of it "good" or "moral."

Uhm, really? Because when she was stating she would see all her enemies murdered after Ned died, and happily sent the awesome killer to take the three lives he 'owed her' I was pretty confident she'd become a brutal revenge killing machine, or die trying (since this is GoT, probably both)...