Game of Thrones Season 7 discussion thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND)

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
President Bagel said:
Now you're putting words into my mouth. Of course there's criticisms for the show outside of this forum. All I said is that everywhere I've journeyed to on the internet has had exponentially more good to say about the show than bad. Everywhere except for here.
It seems like all this season 7 ire seems to be here and absolutely nowhere else on the internet.
Pretty sure I'm quoting you rather accurately.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Wow, arguing over whether other people outside this forum agree with you. So meta it almost doesn't exist. Trying too hard to feel validated?

I liked the season finale. One death was very predictable but satisfying, another (if it happened) really was not. I'm predicting a last minute save at next year's season opener. For a closer it was a good one. Characters that haven't met for 3 years or better bumped into each other at the summit. Had a few fandom moments of characters updating each other on events, Brienne telling Sandor that Arya doesn't need protecting, Cercei making note that Dany only brought 2 dragons. Sadly no Clegainebowl but from Sandor's words it might still be coming. Aunt & nephew sex....ewww but now we know his name! Too bad he doesn't. Sam is such a good listener - picked up on the Rhaegar bits even when he was arguing. What's he gonna say to Dany when he finds out his family is toast? Next August: Game of Thrones : Wrath of the Lich King, now with epic blue flaming dragon mount!

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
President Bagel said:
In my mind, the writers of Game of Thrones are nothing less than heroes. They deserve the utmost respect and admiration.
Uh, okay.

The episode was alright. It sucks that it becomes so predictable if you give it a second thought. But I'm way more pissed at Theon's fight scene (and what is supposedly sets up), because it's such a damn dumb scene I remember it best.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eh. It was alright. Y'know, by the current standard of the show, which isn't saying much.

Overall it's still gone to crap though. No amount relatively solid episodes are going to dig it out of the hole in which it currently resides.

Thank fucking god the dispensed with that Arya-Sansa nonsense.

Bran is still unbearably boring (to be fair, he's like that in the books too).

BloatedGuppy said:
1. Opens with yet another long, cock-centric bit of dialogue. The writers are obsessed with cocks. Cock this, cock that. Can't think of a line for a character? Have him comment on cocks. It's hilarious, and gritty!
As cock-centric dialogue goes, I actually thought that bit was pretty good.

Besides, it was comfortably in character for Bron.

... and another opportunity for Arya to be a TOTAL FOOKIN BADASS LOOK HOW COOL U GUYZ.
I thought it was pretty fitting that she just knifed him without flair or flourish.

President Bagel said:
In my mind, the writers of Game of Thrones are nothing less than heroes. They deserve the utmost respect and admiration.
Someone get me a bucket. I think I'm about to laugh until I throw up.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
BloatedGuppy said:
Ho ho holy shit. That was bad. I give the season credit for having 2 or 3 spectacle moments that I genuinely enjoyed, but the finale was back to the writing, and the writing was extremely bad. I used to hack on the show by saying without the source material it was like a grimmer Xena Warrior Princess but I begin to feel that's unfair to Xena, which I assume at least had some solid Warrior Princessing.

THE BAD

1. Opens with yet another long, cock-centric bit of dialogue. The writers are obsessed with cocks. Cock this, cock that. Can't think of a line for a character? Have him comment on cocks. It's hilarious, and gritty!
2. I see the Unsullied have teleported across Westeros. Such an inconvenience having that fleet of theirs burned. Although it totally wasn't, and made absolutely no difference to the plot whatsoever.
3. The Hound facing down his undead brother was a damp squib of a scene that amounted to nothing.
4. The point is driven home again and again that Daenerys controls the much larger, more dangerous, more capable force. And also has the dragons. Why on earth was all this globetrotting even necessary to enlist the help of the Lannisters? It's just SO badly written and poorly conceived. It's like something out of a really shaky YA series where verisimilitude takes a complete back seat to plot convenience.
5. Euron Greyjoy...no offense to Pilou Asbaek, but this is probably the worst portrayal of the most poorly written character in the entire series, and that's including the abominable Sand Snakes. He absolutely DESTROYS every scene he's in, and not in the colloquial sense. Just sneering and prancing around like a pantomime villain from a bad 80's direct to video movie. It's actually kind of staggering how terrible he is.
6. Heady's wig looked worse than usual this episode.
7. Brienne: "Fuck loyalty". You've got a real handle on the character of Brienne, writers.
8. Why did Tyrion need to go talk to his sister? Forget what happened, think about the logic of even making the suggestion. Why him? Why would that make a difference? Ludicrous.
9. The writers had absolutely no idea what to do with Littlefinger. The character and his scheming required defter plot manipulation than they were capable of, and it's clear that George's broad outline did not account for the character's full arc. So instead, we get this Shaggy Dog nonsense and another opportunity for Arya to be a TOTAL FOOKIN BADASS LOOK HOW COOL U GUYZ.
10. On that point, let's just admire how mid-teens Arya became a super saiyan ninja assassain with one year of training. SO COOL OMG. I've seen anime more grounded than this horseshit.
11. Cersei did a betrayal! What a surprise! Wow! Such writing! A betrayal! From Maleficent!
12. Theon wins a fight with his magic power of not having a cock! I'm serious guys the writers are absolutely obsessed with cocks there's at least one scene about them in every episode.
13. The imminent rescue of "Yara" marks the end of a whole sidebar plot that was a wholesale invention of the show, was never good, and has ultimately amounted to abhorrent stupidity. Well done show.
14. Bran's only supposed to see things that occur in front of Weirwoods. Wedding of Rhaegar? Ok. Baelish holding a knife to Ned's throat? NOPE. He's not Professor X, idiots.
15. Speaking of Bran, could his character be even MARGINALLY useful? Does he do anything other than sit around acting weird and aloof and then spouting out random factoids whenever the plot requires it?
16. CGI Ice Dragon was moving too quickly on his strafes and looked VERY CGI as a result. The show usually does an above average job with their CGI and this should have been a cool spectacle so it was a bit disappointing.
17. Shut up Beric you're not even supposed to be alive.

THE GOOD
1. Some nice scenic shots.
2. Cersei's line drop on "It would probably be an improvement for most of them" was awesome.

Here's hoping the final 7 episodes have more large scale CGI spectacles and less talking. Zero talking would be okay.
Let me add somethings and I like your response to this.

Littlefinger's death was completely and utterly fanficcy. All that speech of everything he did is definitively something i would read from fanfic. I don't know how Littlefinger would die in the books, but certain not this way because it feels too much like giving Stark fans too much satisfaction.

Dany and Jon being a thing is the most rushed Romance I have ever seen. For 5 Episodes they went from being not on the most friendly of terms to fucking each other. Its especially out of character for Jon especially in this very season where he said "There is no time for that", I mean yes she rescued you, now you wanna get inside her panties? Would you fuck Benjin had he lived after he rescued you? Would you fuck Melisandre and Davos in a 3 some after they revived you from the dead? No. And its gonna be quite the perdiciment when he and Dany finds out who he really is from Sam and Bran.

Jamie only now getting the fuckin message in his thick skull that Cersei is an evil ****. He would have left her in the books if she did do the destruction of the Sept and killing Kevan Lannister as a result and driving their son to suicide. It bothered me deeply when they fucked in Episode 3.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Can I just say that why did Ned pose Jon off as his bastard son, he could have easily just said he found the baby in the ruins of a town during the war with the baby's family found dead and said he was moved by pity and honor to take the orphaned baby under his wing? Unless it was that apperent that he looked too much like a Stark when he got older? I mean is Dark Hair and Grey Eyes that prominant in Starks?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
Get ready everyone.....BAM! Incest is Wincest ;)
Honestly, Jon and Dany fucking is one of the more mild cases of incest we've seen.

Samtemdo8 said:
In a way I am kinda hoping the Night King wins. He's the most awesome thing in this entire TV show.
Please no. He's cool, but eight seasons only for the bad guy to win? Sorry, I can't cross that line. I could see Cersei winning though.

Samtemdo8 said:
I wanna make a Crossover Fanfic where the Lich King of Warcraft replaces the White Walkers, because at least the Lich King has a personality:
The Lich King is arguably a better villain, but I think that the Night King having a personality would detract from the terror of him. Sometimes great villains have little personality and it makes them better for it.

If you want an example of this, look at Hardhome, where he casually raises the dead for Jon to see. It's a case of psychological warfare as much as getting meat for his army, but the impact of the scene would be reduced if he was yammering on about it.
BloatedGuppy said:
I used to hack on the show by saying without the source material it was like a grimmer Xena Warrior Princess but I begin to feel that's unfair to Xena, which I assume at least had some solid Warrior Princessing.
Frankly I always preferred Hercules to Xena.

Samtemdo8 said:
Dany and Jon being a thing is the most rushed Romance I have ever seen.
Ooh, let me play:

-JohnxGilina (Farscape)
-GordonxAlyx (Half-Life)
-LaskyxSilva (Halo)
-JainaxKalec (Warcraft, though thankfully that idea seems to have dropped)

I won't deny that JonxDany is rushed, at least within the context of the series, but it isn't the most rushed romance I've seen in fiction (excluding movies though, since they operate on a different time scale. Otherwise you can add pretty much every Bond girl to that list for instance).

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Dany and Jon being a thing is the most rushed Romance I have ever seen.
Ooh, let me play:

-JohnxGilina (Farscape)
-GordonxAlyx (Half-Life)
-LaskyxSilva (Halo)
-JainaxKalec (Warcraft, though thankfully that idea seems to have dropped)

I won't deny that JonxDany is rushed, at least within the context of the series, but it isn't the most rushed romance I've seen in fiction (excluding movies though, since they operate on a different time scale. Otherwise you can add pretty much every Bond girl to that list for instance).
Gorden Freemen and Alyx was a Romance?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
In my eyes, yes, in that Alyx seems pretty infatuated with Gordon by the end of Episode 2, and Eli seems to encourage it.

Not sure why, since as far as they know, Gordon should be twenty years older than Alyx, but apparently the span of a few days is all the time Alyx needs to fall for a mute.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
In my eyes, yes, in that Alyx seems pretty infatuated with Gordon by the end of Episode 2, and Eli seems to encourage it.

Not sure why, since as far as they know, Gordon should be twenty years older than Alyx, but apparently the span of a few days is all the time Alyx needs to fall for a mute.
I must only remember the earlier episodes because it looked fairly platonic.

But anyway back on topic.

They clearly cut some scenes in this episode because the leaks mentioned a scene after Jaime and Cersei's fallout, it showed Cersei on a bed of blood and it turns out she just had a miscarriage and she screams at the fact she's not able to bare children anymore.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Can I just say that why did Ned pose Jon off as his bastard son, he could have easily just said he found the baby in the ruins of a town during the war with the baby's family found dead and said he was moved by pity and honor to take the orphaned baby under his wing? Unless it was that apperent that he looked too much like a Stark when he got older? I mean is Dark Hair and Grey Eyes that prominant in Starks?
I think that was actually a smart move by Ned. He needed, for obvious reasons, to keep a very close eye on Jon, and passing him for his own bastard son allowed him to raise him as a member of his household, which would probably raise more than a few eyebrows in the case of a simple war orphan.

But then, as I recall, Jon did take after his mother - one of the reasons Catelyn resented him so much was that he looked more like a Stark than her own children (other than Arya), who took after the Tully side of the family.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Well it wasn't as bad as I was expecting after the borderline dismal 6th episode. There were actually some half decent surprises, and a couple moments of genuine tension here and there, like when Tyrion went to talk to Cersei. It seemed entirely possible he could die there. It'd have made his series arc a tragic one: a shunned outcast, triumphing over adversity, but still ending up as a failure. Props to the writers for actually subverting my low expectations by making it seem like Euron just fucked off like so (though I very much wished he did, and we got Victarion instead) and Cersei just allied with her enemies with the reveal of the coming army.

But the scenes in Winterfell... oh boy. It's clear the writers... why am I even saying this again? The writers are total fucking hacks! Littlefinger goes out like a total ***** after being forced to babble another "ooh aren't I so schemy and manipulative" pile of tripe. Everyone in Winterfell apparently just takes Sansa's word for what he did with and to Lysa. No one bothers to even think of Bran, essentially an omniscient demigod, he might have been useful for that don't ya think? Sam shows up for the little bit of decent levity we get, and then a rushed explanation of characters that were last referenced in season 1. Arya's been entirely demolished as a character, there's none of that scrawny little scamp from seasons 1 and 2 left in her. Her character arc is over, there's nothing left for her to accomplish: she's back with her family at home, and a master super-assassin and shapeshifter to boot.

What was that zombie dragon supposed to be breathing exactly? Blue fire? Would that make sense in an army that's specifically vulnerable to it?

I don't even know what to rate this finale. The show's both changed and dropped in quality so much it's hard to judge it by the same standard as I would seasons 1-4. My expectations for season 8 aren't exactly sky high. Just focus on the spectacle and I'll be okay with it. Actually, wouldn't it be cool if they went the Fury Road/Dunkirk route full on, and focused purely on the visuals, only bringing out the terrible dialogue in absolutely necessary situations?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
bartholen said:
Actually, wouldn't it be cool if they went the Fury Road/Dunkirk route full on, and focused purely on the visuals, only bringing out the terrible dialogue in absolutely necessary situations?
That's my hope. More Hardhome/Field of Fire type spectacle bukkake, less attempts at dialogue, which invariably gets bogged down in cock jokes, penis references and wang innuendo.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
The show definitely lost quite a bit of quality from earlier seasons. GoT is the kind of show that benefits from a slower pace, yet they rushed this season like they didn't care. I still enjoy it very much, but when I remember all those fine little details from earlier seasons it makes me a bit sad.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Poor Littlefinger, another good character wasted. I hope he has a better story arc in the books. I guess the scene where Arya was threatening to cut Sansa's face off was staged by those characters, except that Littlefinger didn't witness the conversation, so it was purely to fool the audience?

This season has been entertaining in terms of action and spectacle, but the characterisation, structure and storytelling have completely gone to shit. Jon's wightnapping plan has turned out to be a complete disaster that played completely into Cersei's hands and allowed the White Walkers to get past the Wall. Will anybody call him out on that? Nope. Shit never sticks to this guy.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Looking back on this season, I think it says a lot that I felt more genuine emotion and sympathy for the CGI dragons than for any of the remaining characters.

I mean, I don't have high expectations of television so I guess I had fun, in a kind of brainless way (mostly by riffing with friends) but I don't feel invested in anything that happens.

I think people are quick to blame the plot holes or grand arcs, but I can forgive a lot in that regard. The real issue, I think, is the dialogue and characterisation is just gone. I don't have a sense of who any of these people are at this point in the story, which means I don't care about any of them.

Littlefinger's death was interesting to me because it highlighted how hard they'd botched the character (one of my favourite characters, in the book). They made him so transparently evil and slimy that in the end we can have a "trial" scene in which his guilt can be proved simply by pointing out how self-evidently evil he is. Book Littlefinger works because he's nice, he seems like such a cool, laid back, helpful guy that only a few smart people like Tyrion and Varys ever realise how dangerous he is. I didn't mind the more gothic direction the show went with Littlefinger in the early seasons because yeah, it's a TV show and the more interesting subtext of Littlefinger's character and his role in the story probably won't work, but in the past few seasons that whole character has just been boiled down to being evil and slimy.. presumably to provide a satisfying death scene which shows off how the Stark sisters have become badass, because all Starks have to be badass now.

And that's, again, the problem. Every character is an adjective.. but beyond that, I have no idea who they are.

BloatedGuppy said:
14. Bran's only supposed to see things that occur in front of Weirwoods. Wedding of Rhaegar? Ok. Baelish holding a knife to Ned's throat? NOPE. He's not Professor X, idiots.
Honestly, I don't think that's the issue.. the Weirwoods seem to function as a more general connection to the earth (the roots of the weirwoods go everywhere, even if they are weaker in the south). Book Bran has also had green dreams about places which have no wierwoods in the immediate vicinity.

I think the real problem in the show is that they've never defined the limits of Bran's power at all, or indeed explained how it works. He sees or doesn't see whatever is plot-convenient.

Also, he's autistic-coded to fuck, which is lazy and tired at this point.