Game of Thrones Season Finale Review: Sitting on the Throne

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Game of Thrones Season Finale Review: Sitting on the Throne

There?s a lot going on in Westeros and I?m here to report that it?s not all terrible.

Read Full Article

Saidan

Aug 22, 2013
Great season, excelent recap, but... I just cannot understand why they decided to not include THAT last scene! (book readers will know exactly what I mean)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Saidan said:
Great season, excelent recap, but... I just cannot understand why they decided to not include THAT last scene! (book readers will know exactly what I mean)
I know right? When I read that, it shocked every kind of colour out of me. It'll probably be end of ep 2 or 3 next season.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I'm disappointed by the Brienne VS hound fight, it was very "meh". Her vs Jamie felt more satisfying.

Also they screwed around for 7 episodes and tried to cram too much into the last 3. None of the seasons have the pacing of the first one.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Soo... Brother of the King of Dorne killed in the capital by a Lannister knight, Cersei's daughter is in the Lannister hating Dorne, Tywin (The only person holding the Lannisters together) is dead, and Queen Crazy (Cersei, the mother of the under-aged and manipulation-prone king) is now, presumably, the queen regent again. Season 5, please, grace us with your presence. ._.

Also, Tywin's death... That was some epic shit, amirite?

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Tywin dying on the shitter was fantastic. He absolutely deserved that.

Now all I want to see is Cersei, Roose, and Ramsay die.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Good recap, but you left out Bran and the skellingtons. Also, is Jaime not freeing Tyrion earlier really a plot-hole? I reckon it makes more sense for him to wait until after the trial-by-combat, since there was still a chance that Tyrion could have won and gotten off legit.

I loved the Brienne vs Hound fight, books be damned. I think it's safe to say that Arya is the real MVP of the show.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Wait... they left WHAT out? I haven't read that far but... Jesus, that seems like kind of a major thing to abandon, and there doesn't seem to be any reason for it.

I mean, did they just want Jaime and Tyrion to stay buddies or something? But isn't this kind of a dick move on Jaime's part then; this may very well be the last he will ever see of his brother and he STILL doesn't tell him the truth. Is George really gonna be cool with them changing such a major event in a characters life?

If they decide that it did go down that way and Jaime just didn't tell him, then that's got to be addressed and soon.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
SKBPinkie said:
Tywin dying on the shitter was fantastic. He absolutely deserved that.

Now all I want to see is Cersei, Roose, and Ramsay die.
Don't forget The Late Walder Frey.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
I still can't believe they left that revelation out.
That is THE reason for Tyrions actions after that and they just left it out!
WTF!

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Amaror said:
WTF!
Yea, doesn't make much sense. I was just sitting there with my bag a chips waiting for the shit to hit the fan. Nada...

Good episode none the less though.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Apart from the obvious 'trying kill your son' thing that Tywin had going for him, I really liked him and wouldn't really call him a villain. Yeah he deserved what he got in the end but he was no worse than some of the many others characters in King's Landing that deserve two crossbow bolts to the torso!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
What worries me is that while there are two more books to cover, some of the characters are a bit ahead of the rest of the show, already well into the events of the 4th and 5th books. Most notably, Bran. It seems they'll be a bit short on the plot after one more season for several characters and will have to start getting ahead of the books. To be fair, they'll have to start doing that in another two or three seasons anyway. I wonder how Martin will react to that - will he cooperate with the show's creators, allowing them to spoil his books, or will he withhold information from them, forcing them to fill in the blanks on their own, thereby diverging the show and the books even further...

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Amaror said:
WTF!
If you're referring to the whore (but not actually) that he was set up with by Jaimie, I don't think they mentioned her at all in the show so it wouldn't have had any weight if they'd revealed it then.

Apart from that, and the lack of LSH reveal, I thought it was a pretty good finale. I actually enjoyed the Brienne vs. Hound fight and thought it made Arya's decision to cross the sea more powerful. Plus, it let the Hound go out (maybe, maybe not) on a more redeeming note.

Edit: Also, I thought the Child looked weird... Not at all what I imagined.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
Amaror said:
WTF!
If you're referring to the whore (but not actually) that he was set up with by Jaimie, I don't think they mentioned her at all in the show so it wouldn't have had any weight if they'd revealed it then.

Apart from that, and the lack of LSH reveal, I thought it was a pretty good finale. I actually enjoyed the Brienne vs. Hound fight and thought it made Arya's decision to cross the sea more powerful. Plus, it let the Hound go out (maybe, maybe not) on a more redeeming note.
Yes they mentioned her in season 1 and it would have been very easy to just include a dialogue into those jaime and tyrion prison talks were tyrion mentions her and how much he had loved here.
And this reveal is THE reason why Tyrion kills Tywin. He knows Tywin is the only thing keeping the Lannisters together. He hates most of his family, but he loved his brother like crazy. When his brother revealed his betrayal, the only family member he liked, it completely cut the ties he still felt for his family.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Amaror said:
RedDeadFred said:
Amaror said:
WTF!

Yes they mentioned her in season 1 and it would have been very easy to just include a dialogue into those jaime and tyrion prison talks were tyrion mentions her and how much he had loved here.
And this reveal is THE reason why Tyrion kills Tywin. He knows Tywin is the only thing keeping the Lannisters together. He hates most of his family, but he loved his brother like crazy. When his brother revealed his betrayal, the only family member he liked, it completely cut the ties he still felt for his family.
Oh I agree that they could have done it, and probably should have by giving some more lines of dialogue between them as you said (it would have been easy to cut out one of the filler scenes at Craster's or elsewhere). I'm just saying that I wasn't expecting them to do it going into this episode given that they hadn't made a big deal about it in the past,

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Awful finale. So many iconic book scenes butchered, character motivations and important moments completely ignored, and the perfect closer to the season was just left out. Will we ever get Stoneheart? I don't know.

For me, as a book reader, it really sums up how unsatisfying this season has been as an adaptation:

It could have been the greatest TV season ever but sadly it fell short, overall a 6/10 season.