Game of Thrones' Syrio Forel Joins Star Wars: Episode VII

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Game of Thrones' Syrio Forel Joins Star Wars: Episode VII

Game of Thrones actor Miltos Yerolemou will be appearing in Star Wars: Episode VII.

Probably one of the niftiest pieces of news to come out of the ongoing production of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars%20vii>Star Wars: Episode VII was the reveal that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134965-Game-of-Thrones-Brienne-of-Tarth-Joins-Cast-of-Star-Wars-VII>Gwendoline Christie, a.k.a. Game of Thrones' Brienne of Tarth, would be joining the cast. Setting aside the fact that it was just nice to see the film's cast adding more women to its ranks, Christie's strong performance on the HBO fantasy series left many <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars>Star Wars fans excited about the prospect of her involvement.

That being the case, it now seems that Christie won't be the only Thrones alum who will appear in Episode VII. If recent rumors can be believed, actor Miltos Yerolemou has also joined the cast of the much anticipated film. Yerolemou, of course, played water swordplay extraordinaire Syrio Forel in the series' first season. Since performing on the show, he's been involved in a handful of other films playing similarly sword-centric roles. We're willing to bet, in turn, that his Episode VII appearance will involve a bit of lightsaber action.

Speaking personally, I have to say that his addition is a definite win for the new film. While there's no telling yet how large his role in Episode VII will be, if he's able to bring to it even a fraction of the gravitas he projected on Game of Thrones, he'll do great.

Source: Bleeding Cool

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
They need to throw cannon out the window and just have Syrio in Star Wars. "What do we say to the Dark Side?"

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Reaper195 said:
They need to throw cannon out the window and just have Syrio in Star Wars. "What do we say to the Dark Side?"
Still wouldn't be the craziest thing that's happened in Star Wars history

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
By the time this hits theaters it's going to have turned into Game of Thrones in space....I want this to happen now.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It won't suprise me if his role is a Jedi or Sith trainer in swordfight.

eberhart

Dec 20, 2012
Dying_Jester said:
By the time this hits theaters it's going to have turned into Game of Thrones in space....I want this to happen now.
Breaking news: Cersei and Jaime Skywalker confirmed ;)

Eh, with main parts of the franchise seemingly destined to remain "kids & teens" forever, stuff like KotOR 2 is probably the most prominent alternative that could be hoped for in terms of "grey".

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Welp, fuck yeah, that guy was awesome in Game of Thrones, all five minutes he spent in it.
eberhart said:
stuff like KotOR 2 is probably the most prominent alternative that could be hoped for in terms of "grey".
And it's sad, Star Wars deserve a good work with grey morality.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
That's great news for people who watch game of thrones, but I don't. Who is this guy and why should I care?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The guy had like 6 lines and made a total of 5 minutes worth of appearances. I have to say... I don't know why this is news. He wasn't much of a character GoT. He was a guy who died, like most people in GoT.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
So are they just making up roles for all these actors they're pulling in or are these already in the script?

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Baresark said:
He was a guy who died, like most people in GoT.
I don't think it was ever confirmed he was dead, there are a few small hints he may be alive.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
alj said:
I don't think it was ever confirmed he was dead, there are a few small hints he may be alive.
Ah but that way madness lies - if everyone whose deaths are not 'seen' first hand by the characters in the present chapter, then you end up with insane ideas like Rhaegar Targaryen and Arthur Dayne still being alive. I reckon Syrio is probably dead, it's just that Arya wasn't there to see it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
alj said:
Baresark said:
He was a guy who died, like most people in GoT.
That's fair. He is probably very much alive BECAUSE we didn't see a body. One thing that show has no qualms with is showing dead bodies.

Kontarek

Aug 1, 2012
Country
USA
Baresark said:
The guy had like 6 lines and made a total of 5 minutes worth of appearances. I have to say... I don't know why this is news. He wasn't much of a character GoT. He was a guy who died, like most people in GoT.
"I don't care about this, so clearly no one else should."

Rock-solid reasoning there man. Just because it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it's not news. Syrio is a pretty big fan-favorite character in spite of his relatively short screen time; I'd say the fact that the actor was able to make his limited time on the screen count is what's important.

Not saying you're wrong to dislike him or view him as irrelevant, but that doesn't mean the people who disagree with you (read: most people) are automatically wrong.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Kontarek said:
Baresark said:
"I don't care about this, so clearly no one else should."

Rock-solid reasoning there man. Just because it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it's not news. Syrio is a pretty big fan-favorite character in spite of his relatively short screen time; I'd say the fact that the actor was able to make his limited time on the screen count is what's important.

Not saying you're wrong to dislike him or view him as irrelevant, but that doesn't mean the people who disagree with you (read: most people) are automatically wrong.
My biggest criticism of something like this is that there is nothing here to report. He was cast as? Yeah, it's not in the story. Would you really have rather waited to see what he was cast as? Is he a major, minor, or background character with a single line? No one knows. That movie is going to have a cast of hundreds, most of which you will never see directly in the movie but will be responsible for background stuff. It's not, "I don't care, so you shouldn't". It's that there is no news here and while he may be a "fan favorite" character, he is barely noticeable in a large cast production like GoT. The show has not even explored his character. He was a "dancing instructor" from Braavos, who is also know for it's sword masters... I guess. There is the character. For all we know, he could have been lying to her the entire time he was teaching her the sword.