Game of Thrones T-Shirt Leads To Suspension Of College Professor

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Spot1990 said:
Ok I do hate oversensitive nonsense but 34 school shootings? Is that true? Because if it is I'd assume everyone was trying to kill me too if I lived in the US.
The United States is a pretty big country.

There are about 150,000 schools, public and private, in the United States.

The statistic "34 school shootings since Jan 1" includes single victim shootings, shootings where a firearm was discharged but no one was hurt, and shootings that occurred during non-school hours and did not necessarily involve students or faculty in any way. Even if every "school shooting" was an actual mass shooting in the typical sense (they aren't), that would still mean that a school shooting has occurred at <0.03% of schools.

I think you're probably safe.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
PhiMed said:
Spot1990 said:
Ok I do hate oversensitive nonsense but 34 school shootings? Is that true? Because if it is I'd assume everyone was trying to kill me too if I lived in the US.
The United States is a pretty big country.

There are about 150,000 schools, public and private, in the United States.

The statistic "34 school shootings since Jan 1" includes single victim shootings, shootings where a firearm was discharged but no one was hurt, and shootings that occurred during non-school hours and did not necessarily involve students or faculty in any way. Even if every "school shooting" was an actual mass shooting in the typical sense (they aren't), that would still mean that a school shooting has occurred at <0.03% of schools.

I think you're probably safe.
Statistically yes, but 34 in almost 5 months is a lot more then the, what, 0? we've had in Australia this year (and last year too I think).
If someone can get some info on that by the way (even if it proves me wrong) I'd appreciate it, the closest thing I could find to information on school-related shootings in Australia is that the last one that received public attention was in May 2012 (and no-one was injured, a highschooler just had a revolver and fired it once at empty space).

Not trying to say that the percentage is bad or that you're wrong, just that from the point of view of a culture without major gun violence that's a BIG number.

More on topic, really? REALLY??
You can get in trouble at work if one of your family members wears a shirt with a pop culture phrase on it now?
I mean, if your mind isn't boggled yet just think about how many degrees of separation there are between his daughter wearing a shirt and him threatening the school dean.

This makes me glad I don't use social media... or live in the US...

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I hope his class likes him. Would be funny to see an entire class wearing shirts that either say fire on them.

Is fire in a school becoming the new bomb in an airport?

It seems to me like the dean is throwing a hissy fit and was just looking for some bullshit excuse.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Whew, that was close. We almost missed our stupidity quota for today. If you can bring up thousands of hits on Google for a quote, you should not get laid off like that.

Sep 14, 2009
Agayek said:
Jandau said:
Well, to be fair, he was reinstated and didn't really suffer any consequences. It might seem like a hilarious overreaction, but if the number of school shootings in the US this year listed in the article is anywhere near correct, I can kinda understand educational institutions being a bit "trigger happy" (pardon the pun) when it comes to potential trouble. What I'd like to know is why the hell are people shooting each other in US schools so much? As far as I know this is pretty much endemic to the US, at least as far as first world countries go...
It's not. There hasn't been a single instance of what the common man would view as a "school shooting", as in someone walking into school with a gun and indiscriminately shooting anything that moved or the like.

There have been 34 instances of firearm violence on school property, in school buses, or perpetrated against students. Of those, several were actually police shooting someone threatening students or them while on school grounds (one example was a man with a knife who wouldn't go down to repeated tazings), several more were directly gang-related, and the rest seem to be directed violence against particular people the shooter had a grievance with. There has been a grand total of 6 deaths in school-related firearms incidents since 1/1/2014.
*sigh of relief*

thank you for explaining this, it seems like anyone who doesn't actually live in the US seems to think we're a bunch of trigger happy incest bible thumpers.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a terminator. it's why we whoop your ass in the olympics all the time ;-)

OT:

This is face palm worthy to the max, I really hope the psychiatrist laughed at how ridiculous this was.