Game of Thrones The Lion and the Rose Breaks Torrent Records

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Not surprised, in the UK you only two choices to watch it legitimately (as broadcast, there are also BD/DVDs after a delay). You have to either a Sky subscription with Sky Atlantic in the package or you have to have internet and get a Now TV set top box and a pay monthly pack that includes Sky Atlantic via that service, Sky do not even lease the channel to the Virgin Media cable service like they do with just about everything else like the movies and sports.

HBO are stupid, if they uploaded the new episodes onto iTunes or the Play Store the same day they first aired they could turn some of those millions of downloads into hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Its the old fashioned mentality of these old guard media, the "we must has curation of all the contents" attitude they have. The worlds moving on, people like to download and watch these things OD now. If they make it convenient and for a good price people will buy it, there will still be some piracy but they will still make loads of cash.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
BanicRhys said:
I'm from Melbourne, Australia. I think you can guess how I feel about the piracy of this series.

Exterminas said:
There are no paying HBO-Customers outside the united states.
They could just block IPs from the states and run with the ad money or charge people from the rest of the world 50 cents for each episode.
The US getting the short end of a stick? That'll be the day.
How is that the short end of any stick? They are just offering their products on foreign markets, based on the terms of those markets. US-Companies have been doing this for years now. Take the various TV-Features of the Xbone that don't work in many European countries, for example.

Or consider the Warner Brothers online-portal, where you can watch many classic WB-Cartoons for free, if you are from America. And where you don't can watch anything if you are not from America. This kind of country-based different treatment is common practice.

Granted, most of the time that works out to the disadvantage of international customers, but creating one of a few cases where that is not the case should not qualify as "Americans getting the short stick". Cable-TV just works different in America than it does compared to the rest of the world.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Not surprising at all. People will get shows by the easiest method. The internet changed all of that. The old ways are no longer the best, but the cable/distro companies can't see that because they are run by old men who have no idea what they are doing anymore.

If they just got with the times and made these shows available via more channels of distribution, especially On Demand, then they'd make so much money and win over so many "pirates". Right now, they are trying to have their cake, and eat it. It's not going to happen.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
ricree said:
Saulkar said:
You know, one would think HBO would take the hint and release the episode for free on their website and collect the ad revenue.
I imagine their paying customers might have something to say about that.
I haven't really followed the show, just watching it when my friends by a season, but where exactly can you find episodes before it hits DVD?
Chyeh, instead of making the most of it, they outsource their rights exclusively to asshole cable monopolies. I love HBO and the shows they produce but in terms of business acumen, they're shithouse.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Sometimes I make posts that aren't sensible. At those times, I delete said posts. And then go to sleep.

And then make them seem relevant.
JaceArveduin said:
Soo.... Basically, you have to have the subscription for the actual channel? If so, I can see why it's pirated so much.
Yep. Get rekt, filthy casul and get gud at TV.

Or something. I don't know. It's all stupid.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Griffolion said:
Not surprising at all. People will get shows by the easiest method. The internet changed all of that. The old ways are no longer the best, but the cable/distro companies can't see that because they are run by old men who have no idea what they are doing anymore.

If they just got with the times and made these shows available via more channels of distribution, especially On Demand, then they'd make so much money and win over so many "pirates". Right now, they are trying to have their cake, and eat it. It's not going to happen.
This is an incorrect assumption. Cable companies and telecom companies in general are not run by old men that have no idea what they are doing.

What is holding back the industry in general, in this area, is the billions of dollars in invested infrastructure these systems have. And the millions of dollars in contracts and agreements made between networks, content providers and distribution networks and hardware providers world wide.

You can't just expect people to trash a billion dollars worth of infrastructure utilizing satellites, uplink and downlink facilities, continental sized fiber networks and of course more ironclad contracts than they can shake a stick at to just up and say "Oh well yanno this'll make more money if we just put it on Youtube for the masses" cause even if they would make more money they'd get sued into literal fire sale bankruptcy and then probably indicted by the FCC and other communications standards bureau's around the world.

I really get annoyed with the whole "Its all them old men that don't know how to make money any more" argument. And its always Gen X/Millennial types, from my own generation, making this blind accusation.

When you have 10 billion dollars tied up in contracts and hardware, I don't think you'd be very quick to make sudden, sweeping and potentially ruinous changes to your operation either.

Everyone, right up to the "old men" in the cable industry, know exactly how much the media consumption landscape has changed....its all in how to shift to the new landscape when your investments and legal agreements have you married to the old one.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
Most pirated show in history is also one of the most popular, successful, and creative, but piracy is somehow destroying the industry. Derp.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Pr0 said:
Everyone, right up to the "old men" in the cable industry, know exactly how much the media consumption landscape has changed....its all in how to shift to the new landscape when your investments and legal agreements have you married to the old one.
They don't have to touch any of their old distribution methods to get with the times. Setting up a streaming service via a website is incredibly simple and takes any college compsci student maybe an afternoon to write code for. The problem isn't their slow progress adopting a new distribution medium in an era where the playing field has changed, it's that they haven't done _anything_ on that front. A non-region-locked website where consumers could pay for a full season up front, get each episode streamed the day (or day after) it airs on cable TV (who has those anymore?), and download links for each episode once the season completes. It's that simple. They don't have to update shit for it, they don't have to violate any old contracts or abandon old infrastructure.

HBO has a literal army of millions of pirates, most of whom are only pirating because there's no other way to get the product in any kind of a sane, timely fashion. 10-month delayed DVD releases, sometimes not even available in your country? A streaming service only available in ONE country? What a joke! Compared to the relative ease of setting up a simple streaming service, the millions of dollars in lost revenue is mindboggling.

This is why the old fogey label is thrown around; they're bafflingly daft to not take advantage of any of the methods that are _commonly used_ today to distribute media. Yes, they have millions/billions of dollars in old contracts and old hardware, but if those are dying out in favor of new tech, you don't stick to them like a captain on a sinking ship. You honor deals you had, try to salvage any of that infrastructure you can, and catch up to an age where paying for shit online isn't a huge mystery. You don't trudge blindly forward insisting your hilariously outdated methods of content distribution still hold water.

In HBO's case, they make some incredibly high quality shows. The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, and now Game of Thrones... their skill is unmatched, really. But they're still stuck in the old world mindset where your cable network is "the only way" to distribute media.

There is no real way to defend them in this situation. They should have much better distribution methods and don't, hurting both HBO (costing them millions of dollars in lost revenue) and their fans (no legitimate way for most of them to watch, forcing them to either miss the show or resort to piracy). They don't have to completely trash their old distribution networks to adopt new ones, but their total lack of progress on that front is why the old men comments get bandied about. The "stuck in the old days" mindset is detrimental, and whether it's actually old men being old men or younger men who are just incompetent, it's not an excuse. They need to get their shit together. It's 2014; consumers shouldn't have to pirate a show to even be able to see it without waiting 10+ months for an arbitrarily-delayed DVD release, almost a full year of spoilers after the episodes actually aired.

Game of Thrones is such a high quality show, I'd wager the majority of those currently pirating wouldn't balk at coughing up enough money for a season pass to a high quality streaming service. That's really all it would take. A small portion of the pirates do so because of monetary concerns, and those will pretty much always pirate, but the huge chunk that simply love great TV and want to experience it in a remotely timely fashion would definitely be on board with a stream/vod service. All HBO has to do is "get with the times." No amount of old contracts or infrastructure is worth losing custom from millions of potential consumers, especially not when the fix for it is so blisteringly easy.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
AuronFtw said:
Pr0 said:
They don't have to touch any of their old distribution methods to get with the times. Setting up a streaming service via a website is incredibly simple and takes any college compsci student maybe an afternoon to write code for. The problem isn't their slow progress adopting a new distribution medium in an era where the playing field has changed, it's that they haven't done _anything_ on that front. A non-region-locked website where consumers could pay for a full season up front, get each episode streamed the day (or day after) it airs on cable TV (who has those anymore?), and download links for each episode once the season completes. It's that simple. They don't have to update shit for it, they don't have to violate any old contracts or abandon old infrastructure....
Example of a situation that is similar to what you're describing.

The WWE Network.

Example of why it doesn't work.

The WWE Network is contractually bound by agreements with various national and world wide networks which precludes them from being able to live broadcast their primary live weekly TV shows for 30 days after their original airing.

This is due to contractual and syndication agreements made with their various network carriers. The WWE has already made that step into content on demand and its been rather successful and all the content they can actually provide for the Network is right there...but the large draw content, which is their weekly shows, are still tied up in contractual agreements with the network carriers that distribute them in their original live formats.

This same problem would apply to HBO in regards to premium content being provided to them or through them, to any national network carrier. HBO Go is about as far as they can go in this realm due to contractual agreements. They might eventually be able to set up things like GoT and their other popular shows via on demand streaming, but its cannot evolve into day of broadcast on demand delivery simply due to the exclusivity rights in regards to agreements and contracts signed with network carriers.

Now in five to ten years all of this may change, but that is largely due to the way contractual agreements will evolve around new media trends in that time and how new media contracts will evolve after the old ones expire or renegotiate. You can't change contracts on a whim...that's why people sign them, or insist on them in the first place.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Well.... He certainly settled down...

...huehue

Doesn't surprise me though, It's been a scene everyone's been dying to see since season 1, and being the most torrented TV series...

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
It always amazes me that a company that is so in touch with what we want to watch, is so out of touch with how to get it to us. Probably the most progressive/conservative content provider ever.

smashleigh

Aug 6, 2011
At the end of the day it all comes down to the dollars. I'll use the current situation in Australia as an example:

In Australia last season there were two ways to get the episodes legally; via iTunes or foxtel. iTunes was available approximately 1 day after US broadcast for (what I consider) a reasonable price of approximately $3 for SD (480p) or $5 for HD. the other option was by subscribing the foxtel (our cable monopoly) for both the basic package and an extra package including the channel GoT airs on (~$50/month).

This season it is not available on iTunes. Foxtel paid a sufficient amount of money in the contract renegotiations that it is not available from any source other than them until DVD release time months down the track. Clearly the cable company is making enough on its bundled content surcharge to make up for the viewers who would previously have only bought GoT through iTunes.

I've seen a number of discussions around why torrenting is so prevalent in Australia (in general not just with reference to GoT) and I keep coming back to two points; inertia and ease of access. The media companies haven't gotten a reasonably priced alternate option quick enough, they have allowed us time to get used to torrenting. The second is ease of access, if an alternate system is to gain a foothold is Australia it doesn't just have to be easier than the current legal options it has be easier to use than torrenting.