Game Pass - disposable gaming?

Stewcumber

May 4, 2022
Southampton
Country
United Kingdom
I did a little search for a Game Pass related thread and even though it came up empty I'm sure it's been discussed a lot here regardless. However I recently found a couple of 'new' problem with the service that I hadn't really thought of before so here I am with three whole posts under my belt coming steaming into here with a Game Pass hot take...

I used to hate the idea of it. It was a principle thing; I like owning my games on the basis I will go back and play old games all the time and rarely buy the latest and greatest games on launch.

However having found myself getting less principled and a having gained some perspective over the years as I age I relented and got the PC Game Pass service because buying one month was cheaper than the cost of the game that my friends wanted to play. In fact, I think it was £1 for a month or maybe for 3 months or something. And in doing so I realised that the service was actually pretty good as there were loads of backlog games on there that sounded good at review but I couldn't bring myself to buy - I'm looking at you Wolfenstein II, Dragon Age Andromeda, and The Saboteur (yes, it's been on my To Do list for literally 13 years).

So all was well. I got an Xbox Series S with my phone contract and it became a bit of Game Pass machine, and I found that I preferred gaming on my comfy sofa compared to hunched up on my desk having spent the entire day being hunched up on my desk working. Again, perhaps an age thing.

I used to hate the idea of cloud gaming. But then I tried xcloud on the xbox and it works quite well, in most situations, on my 100megabit connection (my xbox sees about 14MBps download speed). So much so that I swapped over my cable connection from my PC to my xbox and my PC makes do with some £15 USB wifi adapter.

So whilst I am sure people have talked about the principle of ownership before, what do I think the 'new' problems are?

Well I find that games have become incredibly disposable. I can try a game instantly and it has literally 10 minutes to hook me before I get bored knowing I can instantly try another game. I don't have the invested interest in giving it a fair shot like you do when you went into town to buy a game and read the manual on the bus ride home (I assume this was a universal experience, right?!). To be fair this is entirely on me and my terrible attention span.

I've also had the first time that a game I have been playing has been removed from the service. I bought GTA Definitive Edition, for my sins, on PC when it launched. I then switched to playing on the xbox through Game Pass but now it has been removed, after about 6 months, half-way through my playthrough and I'm tempted to buy it so I can complete it. I also saw that FF12/12-2 has been removed and that was probably 3rd on my to play list. I own Snow Runner on PC but downloaded the GP version on xbox and now I think I will go back to playing it on PC as there is a risk SR will get removed at some point This is perhaps unique to me as a PC gamer and xbox gamer but I am now hesitant to start a long game on Game Pass in case it gets removed.

Anyway hi everyone.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Don't really see any problem. If a game doesn't grab you and you become bored, I see no reason why you need to continue playing. Because it might get better later? Well, I disagree with that idea. How about the game be good now? Because you've spent the money on sub and want to get the most out of it? No, that money's gone, and you've already sunk time only to come to the conclusion that you're not into that game. Why spend even more time on it? At that point continuing on is imo just falling for the sunk cost fallacy. I say cut your losses and move on to something you actually do like.

They're just games, after all. They're kind of disposable entertainment by nature. I mean, we literally play them to wile away our free time. You should at least enjoy that time.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
As someone who is One and Done kind of a gamer, I absolutely adore Game Pass. I've had it for years now and I have paid for like...two years worth still (basically I wait for Black Friday, load up on codes when they drop in price, and reload my account). Sure it sucks when games I want to play do leave but along with that, there are dozens of games that I would have likely never considered playing if not for Game Pass (Games like "Slay the Spire", "My Friend Pedro", and "Hollow Knight" being the best examples I imagine).

I don't ever keep games either so a service like GP is damn near perfect for me.

Though ironically today is the first day in a long time that I mildly regret it as the servers are down so even my single player GP games that require no internet are not right now playable...

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I mean, there basically came down to a point where. I'm not a high school kid playing Star Fox and PErfect Dark or Chrono Trigger or Link to the Past once a week through anymore. I don't have that amount of time. And games (even ones that are less story driven and more actiony are generally clocking in 10-20 hours, if not more).

In my generously estimaed 20+16 leisure hours in a given week, I'm not likely to keep going back to a particular game. So even if they pull off something I was playing in the past, its not gonna bother me a lot.

I literally just confronted this idea with Monster Hunter World, booted it up thinking "hey lets go get that last couple of dragons they added". MY save had gone woosh when my original PS4 died apparently. And I can't fathom putting the 50-60 hours back in to haul myself up to that point again and thats one of my favorite games in the last (still current for me, no PS5) generation.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I think the best addition Gamepass could make is a "add to library" feature, where if you play a game on the Pass, you can then buy it forever for a reduced price. However i don't think they do that because of lisences or something. They need to have a "rotation" of sorts on the service to allow for the games that are on there.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I think the best addition Gamepass could make is a "add to library" feature, where if you play a game on the Pass, you can then buy it forever for a reduced price. However i don't think they do that because of lisences or something. They need to have a "rotation" of sorts on the service to allow for the games that are on there.
Literally already functions like that. Any gamepass game, or dlc for a game on the pass, is discounted to purchase.

Reactions: tippy2k2

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Literally already functions like that. Any gamepass game, or dlc for a game on the pass, is discounted to purchase.
Oh...I never saw that while I was using it. Then the rotation out thing isn't a big deal, just buy it. It's like Netflix, they don't keep the same movies and stuff around all the time.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I'm kinda whatever on game ownership. If Steam magically goes kaput, there goes my library and that's just life. I'll probably just get off my high horse and resort to piracy for inaccessible old shit.

My current PC doesn't even have a disc drive so not like I can even use any of my old game discs. Even if I had a disc drive, there's OS/hardware compatibility issues anyhow. Yeah I can jump through hoops to play these old games with VMs, DosBox or whatever but still. Functioning old consoles are becoming rarer.

At the end of the day I'm also not thaaaat keen to keep replaying old shit that isn't Fallout 2 and Deus Ex.

I personally don't like the idea of cloud gaming because my country's internet isn't that amazing. If the whole world had turbo super good latency free internet for everyone that allowed me to stream games with no delay(and also if the service never goes down cause my internet cuts out every now and then....), then I'm totally on board. Otherwise I kinda like having a game that I can just play on the odd days my ISP decides to fuck me over.

I didn't know about the whole gamepass removing and rotating games about. I knew PSPlus did that, but I guess I'll be a bit more wary about gamepass.

So far over here a year's worth of subscription costs less than the price of a new AAA game, so the value for money is pretty insane. I can see the appeal, but I can also see them jacking the price up in the future once they built up the subscriber base....

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I suspect that regardless of how convenient cloud gaming is for people now, that we're setting ourselves up "as a society" for a lot of regret years down the line with this.