Game People Calling: Hand-Drawn Comedy Reviews

Game People

Jan 5, 2010
Game People Calling: Hand-Drawn Comedy Reviews

Stand-up comedy meets reviewing in GamePeople?s bizarre alternate reality.

Read Full Article

dofuss.net

Sep 12, 2008
Love the fact the Resistance review can loop without a break. It took me 2 loops before I even realized. My opinion? No sounds or additions necessary. Beautiful and simple as it is.

saejox

Mar 4, 2009
sound is not needed.
it's Stolen Pixels, but animated. Are you as funny as Shamus? we will see.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
HA! I really like these! The Magic the Gathering/Modern Warfare one is especially true. I wouldn't change a thing about them, except maybe to stream line the process so the poor guy doesn't have to spend 8 hours on each one!

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
I really like these. They're fine the way they are. Simple, sweet, and funny.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
They are fairly entertaining. My only request would be to have a PLAY/PAUSE button or a clear "This is the Beginning" spot so I can tell where to start. I finally figured the "brilliant" idea of R-Clicking and rewinding, then replaying since it was done in flash but how many people are going to realize they can do that?

Now I'm kinda curious to know if "regular, non-flash creator" people know that you can do that...

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Maybe if you could add a 'THE END' or something so I don't get spoilers before I watch the start that would be good :)

lodo_bear

Nov 15, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
HA! I really like these! The Magic the Gathering/Modern Warfare one is especially true. I wouldn't change a thing about them, except maybe to stream line the process so the poor guy doesn't have to spend 8 hours on each one!
I wholeheartedly agree. I've had a tendency to think and talk like that my whole life. Fortunately for me, I've learned how to apply these tendencies toward actual science, so when I go off on my nerdy expository rants, I can actually teach you something useful.
tharwen said:
Maybe if you could add a 'THE END' or something so I don't get spoilers before I watch the start that would be good :)
That would be great for the Modern Warfare 2 cartoon, not necessary for the Resistance 2 cartoon. The first one had a story with a beginning and an end, but the second was a series of amusing snapshots with no need to be in any particular order.

nominalaeon

Jun 11, 2009
Thanks for the cool feedback, everyone! When you're doing something like this, it's hard to imagine people saying anything but really negative stuff. I appreciate the good suggestions. To address a couple of things, yes, uploading these to Vimeo to give viewers a more coherent idea of start and finish is definitely going to happen.

Also, 8 hours is kind of like the ceiling for production time. The Dragon Age review is my gold standard for maximum difficulty level. The whole point of making these with my mouse is to keep the process simple and hassle free, so even the ones that take me a while to make are still fun rather than tedious.

Thanks again for checking out the reviews! I look forward to more feel-good feedback, and I totally welcome the negative criticism too.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Game People Calling said:
One question remains though, should he introduce sound to these animations? Maybe Noah could voice the characters? Or add sound effects? Or even a laugh track?
Yes. Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes! This could easily be a small yet regular thing on this site!

[sup]...or maybe he should do what he wants to do, what with the fact that it's his free time and creativity and all... but that would be no fun...[/sup]

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
He could add some background music, to make the reviews a bit more 'colourful' but then it should be the same music in all these animations. 'Custom' music for every video won't make the reviews better, I think. It would just make them harder to make.

But even without music I really like your work.