Game People Calling: The Games That Hurt

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
Ezio_fangirl said:
Almost every Final Fanatasy (A huge nod to 13) is like that.
Definitely agree with this statement. I haven't finished 13 yet, but there have been moments that have caught me up.

I think we do it to remind ourselves that we can feel all those things, those special pains and joys, like everyone else. Same for the sad movies, and the sad parts in novels. There is a sweet kind of pain in sadness. lol that sounded kind of emo but its true :).

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
I really appreciate all the love Shadow of the Colossus gets; the game well and truly deserves it.

But more people need to be aware of its magnificent predecessor, Ico, a game that ranks among my all time favorites, and is without doubt one of the greatest games of the last console generation, or any other. Ico is as far above SotC as SotC is above most other games, and that's saying a whole lot.

If you enjoyed Shadow of the Colossus for its attempt to compel the player's emotion as much as or more than you enjoyed its excellent action, or if you're just interested in games that strive to be more a work of art than an electronic toy, then you owe it to yourself to play Ico.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I honestly felt sorry for Snake in MGS4, how much more punishment can one man take on?

Of course there is the demise of Aeris, I can actually remember shedding a tear at that part, even during the fight after it and her theme keeps on playing moves you too. The image of her being lowered into the water is still burnt into my mind because it was just so well done for the time, dont think I full got drawn into that game until that scene.

Even FF XIII had a scene which I felt was really powerful

Scene where Sazh and Vanille are in Nautilus and he pulls the gun on her blaming her for his sons involvement, that was moment of wow for me

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Nice to know I'm not alone in my love of games that provoke emotional responses.

FF4 and Phantasy Star 2 are probably the earliest ones that really spring to mind for me, even if FF4 undoes a lot of it's most dramatic moments with nice but unnecessary twists near it's end. Nei's fate in Phantasy Star 2, and the fate of the rest of the heroes as well, is something that will always stick with me.

I must say that I'm not sure I'd put Fable 2 on that list though. It just seemed too forced and lacking in real connection to me to really stir up honest emotions.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
All this talk about loss and no mention of Mother 3, which deals with loss of family, loss of innocence, loss of childhood...

For shame. For shame. Mother 3 is one of the few games that makes me cry every time I play it.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
Shadow of the colossus, when agro "died"

i didn't cry but i was pretty sad, he's such a good horse

also the ending in general is a massive bummer

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
I played Tribes for 10 years.

I'm pretty sure that I and those few dozen left of millions win this whole hurt thing.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I think Final Fantasy VII's one was kind of weak, she goes off on her own without telling any of her companions who could help her and gets killed for doing it.

I have to say I didn't feel sad at all.

Dumplebush

Oct 23, 2008
The one that really got me was when you finally find Dom's wife in Gears of War 2. Just that whole sequence where you open the box and you see her and she wearing a red dress and she is beautiful, but then it slowly fades into what she really looks like.

Oh and i almost forgot about the companion cube

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
In addition to
Yorda's capture by the Queen in Ico
, I was hit pretty hard by
The death of Harry Mason in Silent Hill 3
especially as I'd played the original Silent Hill.

Also,
The ending to Persona 3, where the main character dies without even being able to say goodbye to his friends
was heartbreaking.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Heart of Darkness said:
All this talk about loss and no mention of Mother 3, which deals with loss of family, loss of innocence, loss of childhood...

For shame. For shame. Mother 3 is one of the few games that makes me cry every time I play it.
Indeed that Lucas has gone through lots of travesty and it's sad but, kindly to say that it wasn't released outside of Japan so I don't think they know about the translated version of Mother 3.

I would not say that the death of Aerith from FFVII is a good thing but I certainly didn't weep from that scene probably because I play the game for four hours and barely understanding Aerith.

I consider FFVI where Celes opera singing better than that.

Always_Remain

Nov 23, 2009
Mass Effect 2's Bad Ending hits home when you see Joker with all the coffins. Not too much of a spoiler. Course it's YOUR FAULT FOR BEING A SHITTY LEADER. Hell one loss is sad enough to me. I my BADASS SHEPARD I had to literally revert THIRTY MINUTES to save TALI even though she was my ROMANCE OPTION. Instead... I had ***** ASS JACOB go into the pipes if I recall correctly. Wasn't CONTRIBUTING at all anyways. Just second guessing my BADASS decisions like a ***** PARAGON. (I actually prefer paragon-ism) See what I did there?

And confession time. When I was like 11 or 12 at the end of Conker's Bad Fur Day. I seriously cried. I was like WHY DID THIS HAPPEN!?!?!? It stills upsets me to this day a little.

pyrus7

Mar 16, 2010
I guess I have to mention Bahamut Lagoon (SNES) for breaking my heart in a special way,
as the player's avatar gets dumped by the obvious love interest half way through the game...for the enemy who then joins the party! Such a betrayal however soon turned my heartbreak into rage..or maybe it was jealousy...