Game series with the best music.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm throwing my bet in with Tropico.
Yeah, you get the huge orchestral scores in a lot of games. Not that those are bad... but Tropico has a very special place in video game music!

mariosonicfan5

Jun 18, 2012
the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy on Super NES. I even actually own the physical CD's! No other game series has made me love video game music since. The Final Fantasy games have their moments but I could listen to DKC all damn day. Mainly DKC2 its just awesome!

Rook

Oct 11, 2008
Some of the coolest moments in games, I find, is when they use actual songs in the game. Like the airport level near the end of Max Payne 3 was amazing because of the song in the background.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
The Langrisser Series and the Dodonpachi series, Dodonpachi has the most variation in music styles between each game I've seen anywhere from keyboard pop to guitar solo rock, to metal electronica to hybrid disco / dubstep.

here are a couple of tracks, I recommend listening to Warsong, Langrisser 2, Langrisser 5/V. and all the Dodonpachis especially Diafukatsu normal and black Label.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2FDGa11A3c&list=PLCB8C247FA225DC8C&index=74 With my playlist with some of that music on it.

More ppl should know the names of Noriyuki Iwadare http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noriyuki_Iwadare

and Manabu Namiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manabu_Namiki

Langrisser series OST playlist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeLPaQ90NFs&list=PLA4C6F823101AE20A

Anyway ppl rant on about us in the west not getting all of Sega's Shining games but the fact we only got the first Langrisser not the rest is even more criminal imo, especally when you consider Advanced Wars was such a big hit over here (AW is a clone of Langrisser gameplay wise). Unfortunatly Langrisser is largly unknown in the west mostly because Langrisser 1 was localised as Warsong, much more ppl knof of it's spirtual sequel Growlancer.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
The Ace Combat series has some of the best music out there.

CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT STAR FOX!! (Dogfight vs 4 aces)

and other good ones

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012

Falcom's games have awesome music. Mostly the Ys series but even the Legend of Heroes has some great symphonic music.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I'm kupo for Kupo Nuts!
I have to agree with everything on this man's list. But I also want to throw in Clash on the Big Bridge in Final Fantasy V and Battle 1 in Final Fantasy IX.

Although I've never liked any of the remixes for Clash on the Big Bridge. The Nobuo Uematsu original will always be my favorite.

[small]User was banned for: How to Score with an Escapist Moderator for Idiots. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/520.401227](Permanent)[/small]

SillySam

Mar 15, 2011
The Ys series definitely have some of the best music

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
while Nobuo Uematsu is consistently good with what he makes for Final Fantasy, I have to go with the guy who's work I'm actually listening to right now

Daisuke Ishiwatari.

don't know him?

Dec 10, 2012
Tough question, as I'm sure everyone can attest to. Games these days are really doing great sound design, and the music we get for triple A games is sometimes flat-out amazing. Not that you need a modern triple A budget to do great music, though. The early Sonic games on the Genesis had a lot of sweet tunes. The music from my favorite '90s game, Heretic, is really awesome. In more modern terms, Shadow of the Colossus has not only amazing music, but a unique sound I've never heard in any other game.

But the only game series that has really inspired me with its score is Mass Effect. It's just one more reason to love my favorite games. From the synth sounds of the first, to the larger and more exciting themes of the second, to the sombre, portentious tones of the third, each game does musical cues and aural atmosphere as well as any media presentation I know of. Everyone who worked on these games, Jack Wall, Sam Hulick, Clint Mansell, whoever else, everyone was doing incredible work. I listen to their music all the time even out of the games' context. It's just a fabulous experience for me.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Just because of my sheer love for it, I want to say Metroid Prime, but...

Devil May Cry.
The music in those games have done nothing but impress me.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Uh guys? Posting a "series" with one game is kinda cheating. *cough* [small]Killer7[/small] *cough*

Anyway...

Hmm. It's easy to think of my favorite individual game soundtracks, but whole series with solid music? I'd say Silent Hill up until Akira Yamaoka left.

I would say Castlevania but in terms of release dates I've only played up until Symphony of the Night. But the music in the games I have played has been great.

I can think of plenty of series with consistently high quality music, but it seems very few where it has suited my personal taste every game. I'll update if I can think of any more.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Not really my favourite but this topic pops up pretty often so I'll post something different for a change:

Could listen to that on loop for hours and all the 'Age of ______' games have had fantastic soundtrack as well.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Loved Bastion's.

Will have to mention the Silent Hill series too. Tracks like Betrayal were wonderfully fitting for their scenes, and the way they incorporate Always on My Mind after its initial introduction was haunting.

DVS BSTrD said:
I've played a lot of games with good soundtracks, but I can honestly say that the only time I ever got lost in the music was in Mass Effect. I could have stayed in my room all day if there weren't planets that needed scanning :p
I do really enjoy the range it had. Smooth and atmospheric while exploring, but strong payoff during cutscenes, e.g. Overlord's ending.

IGetNoSlack said:
Shadow of the Colossus
You know, the music was never the first thing I described about SOTC, but it really was lovely. The music that crescendos when you reach the top of the colossi? That's a rush.

RADIALTHRONE1

Feb 6, 2011
Halo definitely. Also Kingdom Hearts, Elder Scrolls (Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim), and Fallout 3 (just 3) Loved F3 enough to put all of the GNR songs on my ipod.

AlmostLikeLife

Apr 24, 2009
For me, it's the Legend of Zelda series. I mean, just listen to this!

Then you have people out there that take the songs and do stuff like this!

It's all so good.